Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep forgetting, does the Ascent comes with standard turbo boost gauge like the WRX or STI? Those who received theirs already, can you please confirm? Thanks!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Nope, no boost gauge, but a neat %throttle gauge. Also an attitude gauge(% incline).
Both of these seem supeer silly to me. "Honey, it's floored, look if you don't believe me". The Ascent is not an FJ, what's the incline gauge for? Oh, right 19 cupholders. "Bobby, Jimmy ... we are nearing a 7% incline, watch your sippy cups"

Does it have even a coolant gauge? Or just a red light that says, "Oopps, you over heated - alot, your motor is done". I also thought it super funny when Subaru introduced the "eco needle" they ditched to coolant gauge. "Ah - they don't need this - give them a light instead". But , oh, that eco meter was so important at the time. So important when I test drove a 2012, the salesman made us ditch the test drive. He was convinced the erratic movement of the eco gauge must mean something was wrong. I didn't have the heart to say..."Nah, that's just my right foot. "

·
Registered
142 Posts
Both of these seem supeer silly to me. "Honey, it's floored, look if you don't believe me". The Ascent is not an FJ, what's the incline gauge for? Oh, right 19 cupholders. "Bobby, Jimmy ... we are nearing a 7% incline, watch your sippy cups"

Does it have even a coolant gauge? Or just a red light that says, "Oopps, you over heated - alot, your motor is done". I also thought it super funny when Subaru introduced the "eco needle" they ditched to coolant gauge. "Ah - they don't need this - give them a light instead". But , oh, that eco meter was so important at the time. So important when I test drove a 2012, the salesman made us ditch the test drive. He was convinced the erratic movement of the eco gauge must mean something was wrong. I didn't have the heart to say..."Nah, that's just my right foot. "
Yes, it has a coolant gauge.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Yes, it has a coolant gauge.
Well thank the car gods. That's a good thing. A boosted motor without monitoring is like running at full speed with blinders on. Does it have numbers on it, or just the Red Pie Slice at 10:30 pm on the clockface. My XTs have a facotry coolant gauge, but it's pretty dumb. It registers 130* to about 180* without moving, just sitting there at 9 o'clock happy as can be. Then it will start to spike. I have real coolant gauges on both of cars.

At least it's a step in the right direction.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
The Ascent is not an FJ, what's the incline gauge for? Oh, right 19 cupholders. "Bobby, Jimmy ... we are nearing a 7% incline, watch your sippy cups"
LMAO! :grin:

On a serious note though, anything that tows should have an incline gauge, and anything designed for even light off road should have one as well.

·
Registered
685 Posts
If you were curious, you should be able to do an OBD2 boost gauge by checking manifold relative pressure. I haven't looked yet.
Yep, I'm sure you will be able to. Subaru should ditch their crappy infotainment in lieu of (or at least offer) a gauge package option for the screen. All electronic from the sensors already employed by the ECU to manage the car.

·
Registered
685 Posts
LMAO! :grin:

On a serious note though, anything that tows should have an incline gauge.
I guess I never thought of that ^^^, regular towing on the highway, though? I can see knowing a certain angle is your limit on a boat ramp. That could be helpful. I don't have the $ for horses or boats, I never considered it useful. Now the lateral tilt-meter, that's helpful when rock crawling. It tells you when you are upside down.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yep, I'm sure you will be able to. Subaru should ditch their crappy infotainment in lieu of (or at least offer) a gauge package option for the screen. All electronic from the sensors already employed by the ECU to manage the car.

Oh yeah, that would be really cool (and easy for Subaru to implement) to be able to cycle through to a gauge view.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Most people have no need for gauges, they won't look at them. The engine ECU on a modern vehicle will protect itself and should shut you down before you can cook an engine. And of course it has a boost sensor on it. It may not display it for you, but the engine is reading it. This is a family car, just drive it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
This was actually disappointing to me when I realized this during the test drive and subsequent owner manual reading. I know a lot of you guys are making jokes about why a family hauler would need a boost gauge, but it comes in very handy in a lot of situations that aren't performance related.

In our Forester XT, due to the twin-scroll turbo and how easily the engine makes boost (will be very similar in the Ascent), the boost gauge is useful to help acheive good fuel economy. On fairly flat roads and other situations, being able to see the boost gauge and determine exaclty when you start making a few pounds of boost is more useful than seeing the throttle position %. In my opinion, it is a poor decision to not at least make boost an optional parameter on the triple meter gauge.

·
Registered
685 Posts
This was actually disappointing to me when I realized this during the test drive and subsequent owner manual reading. I know a lot of you guys are making jokes about why a family hauler would need a boost gauge, but it comes in very handy in a lot of situations that aren't performance related.
Agreed. take the incline gauge, and you are towing. You find out that if you get into boost above a certain level which is sustained and the coolant and oil temps start rising. And with the CVT, this is a VERY real world scenario. Sustained RPMs, sustained boost, EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) can rise quickly in a boosted motor. What if you got some bad gas and she's pinging at a certain RPM/Boost level. Engine monitoring is not something to be taken lightly or blindly.

The stock ECU mapping for the 2005-2009 Outback XT and the Legacy GT were so lean, it actually burns valves. My 2005 was pinging so bad when I got it, I didn't know what was going on, I just felt power go flat at a certain boost level. I am not saying the Ascent needs a custom tune. Far from it. But gauges or a digial monitoring package would be nice. H*ll my 2000 XJ has an oil pressure gauge.

Most people have no need for gauges, they won't look at them. The engine ECU on a modern vehicle will protect itself and should shut you down before you can cook an engine. And of course it has a boost sensor on it. It may not display it for you, but the engine is reading it. This is a family car, just drive it.
Look at the above post. We all thought the same thing. Many of you will just drive your turbos like a K-Car. That's fine. Turbo systems are more advance and more reliable than 10 years ago. Subaru learned much with the 2.0DIT and it's proving to be a very good motor. I suspect the 2.4DIT to be similar.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
On a positive note, one can use Torque and an Android phone to display that info while it's doing Android Auto to the head unit. And, Torque already had a plugin for Android Auto - with luck, they will get it Google certified (uncertified apps/plugins don't work since Android Auto v3).

I've been seriously leaning towards a ProClip mount, just because it's easier than plugging in a cable, so, I will probably continue to use Torque for my car readouts and gauges.

It would be nicer if it was integrated onto the top display though. :plain:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm sure you'll be able to connect an OBD2 reader to it and get those readings. Factor in the Android Auto and WiFi capabilities, and you can have your Torque App up whenever you want to on the display, and monitor to your heart's content. I'm thinking of doing exactly this, as long as the head unit will support having both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay connected at the same time. Android for monitoring, and Apple for my normal phone duties.

·
Registered
685 Posts
On a positive note, one can use Torque and an Android phone to display that info while it's doing Android Auto to the head unit.
This eliminates looking at the phone on a mount correct? It gets displayed to the head unit?

Sadly my 2005 and 2006 don't have a Nav screen or anything. I have just resorted to adding physical gauges in pods (both cars) and logging full data through the OBDII and a laptop. That's right - RomRaider and my Dell Latitude Brick are my copilots. In-fact, FrankenWagon has 8 gauges, 6 of which have permanent patch connects the underside of the dash fr logging and tuning. Cherry only has 5.

My old school cars have kept me with old school ways. The torque APP doesn't read some things I need for the tuned cars. But is wonderful for the above.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
This eliminates looking at the phone on a mount correct? It gets displayed to the head unit?

My old school cars have kept me with old school ways. The torque APP doesn't read some things I need for the tuned cars. But is wonderful for the above.

It would currently get displayed to the phone itself. If the Torque plugin is ever Android Auto certified, then, that changes things, and it should be displayed to the head unit along with the rest of the Android Auto apps and interface. Crossing fingers.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts