Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 25k miles, my '19 Ascent lost the transmission. No warning, just basically crapped out 1/2 mile from home. I limped home (acceleration strained) but couldn't even back into my driveway. Called my dealership to reserve a car and then called the Subaru hotline for a tow. From incident to leaving the dealership took less than 2 hours. I had pulled the codes and the service rep told me he would order a new transmission - they did that before they even pulled the codes themselves. Rental car for 3 weeks while waiting for parts. I picked up the car today - does drive a little differently especially at low speed. Tech also replaced a leaking battery - that is battery #2 for me. Ran an errand and as I go to get in my car, I notice scuffs on the front door and panel behind the wheel. I could see them in the sun where I didn't in the garage. Wipe off with a napkin and realize that there was an actual scratch and dent under the scuff marks. I tend to be the one who parks in the far reaches of parking lots because those door dings drive me nuts. This damage did not exist when I dropped off the car. Call the dealership and return immediately. Told them I was trying to remain positive but this was stretching my limits. Dealership wants to blame the tow truck but I'm not buying it given this wheel was on a dolly and I'm not seeing how the dolly scratched/scuffed the lower door ridge clear back to the edge of the back door. Regardless, my dealership is covering it and gave me another loaner (Outback). Body shop is 2 weeks out. Service manager hopes to squeeze me in. The dealership is very responsive and trying hard to work with me. Nice guys. It's just hard not to be frustrated - and base model loaner cars just don't have the same ooomph as my Touring Ascent!

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hang in there! Sometimes life just happens. And it's frustrating as h*ll. But it sounds like your dealership and Subaru are pretty much doing all the right things - something very good and something you can't always depend on or expect. You'll be up and running in no time! Keep your chin up, lad! :)

·
Super Moderator
2,419 Posts
Sounds like your dealership might have found reason to do a walk-around before accepting cars.
It sounds incredibly frustrating but at least you’re getting the repairs done. I’m the same way with door dings! I tell my wife and kids walking a little farther is good for ya! ?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like your dealership might have found reason to do a walk-around before accepting cars.
It sounds incredibly frustrating but at least you’re getting the repairs done. I’m the same way with door dings! I tell my wife and kids walking a little farther is good for ya! ?
The dealership is now requiring pictures of each car after it comes in (recent change). But sometimes the service reps are busy and the tow dealers just drop the cars in back. 2nd time for my service rep. I'm sure he'll be doing that now. But I actually think it was lot damage although the service rep did think it was possible it was from the car wash. I forgot to tell the service dept but I did actually pay for the tire and car ding insurance (I HATE dings) so I don't feel too bad about them covering this.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Sorry your are going through all this. Glad that they are taking care of it for you. I had a dealer's service tech total my brand new Hummer H3 after replacing the head. They stepped up and replaced it. It was upsetting but the dealer did all they could to make it right so no complaints now 10 years later.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Whenever you are going to take your car in to the shop completely clean it. Then log and photo any and all nicks, scratches, etc. Leave a copy with the dealer. When picking up the car be careful not to be in a hurry. Take your time and go over the car completely. Otherwise you risk damage that may or may not be covered by the dealer. Seen my story?

·
Super Moderator
2,419 Posts
Seen my story?

Not everything showed up well in your video unfortunately. One thing that did show up though: did they wash your roof with a brillo pad?? There were some very noticeable swirls at 11:19-11:33. And then if they're spraying that much of the car why didnt they spray the scratches on the trunk? I don't think I'd be as calm as you were if they'd done that to my car.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whenever you are going to take your car in to the shop completely clean it. Then log and photo any and all nicks, scratches, etc. Leave a copy with the dealer. When picking up the car be careful not to be in a hurry. Take your time and go over the car completely. Otherwise you risk damage that may or may not be covered by the dealer. Seen my story?

I get that, but when the car is undriveable - heading to the carwash was the last thing from my mind. They had the car for 3 weeks so the damage could have been anytime. They washed it, but that was 4 days earlier. I was out of town with their loaner and had them wait the weekend - so the car wasn't crystal clean as it could have been. I do think it is good idea to document any door dings, etc. I will take a clean set of pics when I get mine back so I have a new baseline.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts