Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited w/ technology package
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! This might be a stupid question but I figure someone might have experience with this. Today while trying to transport my dog his wire crate scraped against the ceiling of my trunk, and the upholstery ripped like 2-3 inches. My car is less than a year old and I guess I’m dramatic but I’m really upset about it. Is there any way to fix this? Or if I wanted to just reupholster the whole thing would it cost me an arm and a leg? I tried calling my local dealership but they didn’t answer (it’s actually kind of hard to get in touch with them lol). Im planning on having this car for a long time and I don’t want it to get worse.

thanks in advance!!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,176 Posts
A ripped headliner is not a good thing. I think you are looking at a few shekels to get that fixed honestly. Headliners are a bear for labor just due to their nature.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited w/ technology package
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A ripped headliner is not a good thing. I think you are looking at a few shekels to get that fixed honestly. Headliners are a bear for labor just due to their nature.
By a few shekels do you mean hundos or thousands lol :’) (praying for the former)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Maybe some Gorilla Glue Double Sided tape or similar product carefully placed in the cut area to join the cut material.Just throwing out an idea without seeing a actual pic of the damage.Other than that the job to replace is a big time headache.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I ripped my headliner a couple of years ago, shortly after purchase - about 1.5-2 inches. I went back and forth on whether I should replace. In the end I used a curved sewing needle and tan thread to sew the rip up. Prior to closing the "wound" I squirted clear-drying fabric glue between the headliner and the fabric and then put more fabric glue on the outside of the closed "wound."

It cleaned the issue up nicely, although if you look for it you can see the damage. The key for me was ensuring the rip did not grow/spread and so far it's held up for 2+ years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone! This might be a stupid question but I figure someone might have experience with this. Today while trying to transport my dog his wire crate scraped against the ceiling of my trunk, and the upholstery ripped like 2-3 inches. My car is less than a year old and I guess I’m dramatic but I’m really upset about it. Is there any way to fix this? Or if I wanted to just reupholster the whole thing would it cost me an arm and a leg? I tried calling my local dealership but they didn’t answer (it’s actually kind of hard to get in touch with them lol). Im planning on having this car for a long time and I don’t want it to get worse.

thanks in advance!!
If it’s only 2-3”, and of course you don’t want it to expand, I would try to contact a seamstress or a handicraft type person who works with materials. Ask them to come up with a creative decorative repair. Maybe a fancy patch of some type but more than one in the area so it does not look like a repair. Think of it as a high class version of duct tape. Unless you are flush I would not be thinking of $550-$700 to replace and install l

1 - 9 of 9 Posts