Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my 2019 Subaru Ascent Limited in February 2019. In November my trunk started opening by its self when I would start the car. At times I would be able to close the trunk but now it stays completely open. The first time I wasn't able to close it I had to drive 10 mph at 12 am (after my shift) to get myself safely home. The next day I got it secured with rope and brought it to the dealer. Everything was fine until today, Christmas Eve, and my trunk wont close. I have 3 kids that I constantly have in the vehicle hence the reason I got the vehicle.
If I knew this would be a problem I wouldn't have purchased the vehicle! $20,000 was put down and I feel now that it was just a waste of money.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I purchased my 2019 Subaru Ascent Limited in February 2019. In November my trunk started opening by its self when I would start the car. At times I would be able to close the trunk but now it stays completely open. The first time I wasn't able to close it I had to drive 10 mph at 12 am (after my shift) to get myself safely home. The next day I got it secured with rope and brought it to the dealer. Everything was fine until today, Christmas Eve, and my trunk wont close. I have 3 kids that I constantly have in the vehicle hence the reason I got the vehicle.
If I knew this would be a problem I wouldn't have purchased the vehicle! $20,000 was put down and I feel now that it was just a waste of money.
I bet the $40,000 you spent on the Ascent regardless of the trim also got you an owners manual. While it makes for a great paper weight, it also can serve to provide useful information on how to operate this vehicle which has all sorts of technology in it. Try what is described below and for some reason if that does not work I am very certain the dealership will be very happy to help you. I have personally seen soemone drive into the dealership with a similar concern (while I was waiting on some paperwork) and without an appointment the dealership service advisor helping them figured out the issue in seconds. In there case it happened to be an owners object that was stopping the rear gait from locking closed so it always defaulted to the open position. Once the object was removed, the gait worked fine.

from page 148 ---"NOTE
If the rear gate cannot be opened due to
a discharged vehicle battery, a malfunction
in the door locking/unlocking
system or other causes, you can unlock
it by manually operating the rear gate
lock release lever. For the procedure,
refer to “Rear gate – if the rear gate
cannot be opened” FP419.
To close:
Lower the rear gate slowly and push down
firmly until the latch engages.
The rear gate can be lowered easily with
the handle."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you mean you physically could not close it or did not work with the fob?
I physically can not close it. The buttons don’t work and it’s like the piece that’s supposed to latch isn’t. When this happens the whole trunk system doesn’t work the front buttons key buttons for trunk or back buttons on the trunk.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bet the $40,000 you spent on the Ascent regardless of the trim also got you an owners manual. While it makes for a great paper weight, it also can serve to provide useful information on how to operate this vehicle which has all sorts of technology in it. Try what is described below and for some reason if that does not work I am very certain the dealership will be very happy to help you. I have personally seen soemone drive into the dealership with a similar concern (while I was waiting on some paperwork) and without an appointment the dealership service advisor helping them figured out the issue in seconds. In there case it happened to be an owners object that was stopping the rear gait from locking closed so it always defaulted to the open position. Once the object was removed, the gait worked fine.

from page 148 ---"NOTE
If the rear gate cannot be opened due to
a discharged vehicle battery, a malfunction
in the door locking/unlocking
system or other causes, you can unlock
it by manually operating the rear gate
lock release lever. For the procedure,
refer to “Rear gate – if the rear gate
cannot be opened” FP419.
To close:
Lower the rear gate slowly and push down
firmly until the latch engages.
The rear gate can be lowered easily with
the handle."
Its opening once I turn the car on by itself and not closing. How that is happening I don’t know. I will definitely look at the the owners manual once I leave work! Thank you

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Its opening once I turn the car on by itself and not closing. How that is happening I don’t know. I will definitely look at the the owners manual once I leave work! Thank you
some owners have found, myself included that they accidently pushed a gait button. This can be on the remote (which I keep in my pocket) or just to the left and down of the steering wheel (typically with their knee).

·
Registered
816 Posts
Try resetting the height memory,happened to me where I accidentally hit the height memory button and had to reset it so it close all the way

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
some owners have found, myself included that they accidently pushed a gait button. This can be on the remote (which I keep in my pocket) or just to the left and down of the steering wheel (typically with their knee).
Lol I’m 4’11 so my knee doesn’t reach I wish I can physically show you what’s happening. I usually don’t press the buttons on the keys and just open the door you know how it unlocks if the key is close and I get in press on the brake and button to start and boom trunk is opening. How me starting my car opens the trunk is beyond me

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Lol I’m 4’11 so my knee doesn’t reach I wish I can physically show you what’s happening. I usually don’t press the buttons on the keys and just open the door you know how it unlocks if the key is close and I get in press on the brake and button to start and boom trunk is opening. How me starting my car opens the trunk is beyond me
keep us posted. I am interested to learn what caused your symptoms. I am sure it is a simple explanation but one I do not know off the top of my head. 17000 miles and I am still learning about the vehicle. When I need to figure it out, I look it up in the digital manual (easier to search a PDF), ask the forum and or ask the dealership.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
If you have the rear cargo mat, make sure it's not getting stuck. Also, use the buttons to close it. Don't push it closed.

·
Registered
208 Posts
While enjoying a coffee this AM I looked out and spotted the rear lift gate fully opened. Wasn't like that when I went to bed last night and both keys are not being fiddled with.

Wife went out and pressed the close button and it closed; she checked and all doors were locked.

Ironically I'll be sending in my info to get Gold Plus @ $1,670 from Liberty Subaru going. Once I have that contract in place (10/100k; $100), if this is not fixed by research I'll be taking it for fixing whatever is making these trunks open spontaneously.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Looked and saw a bunch of youtube videos that this could all be thieves...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts