Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
cheater!!! LOL
Yea, that's the typical reaction from mountain bikers who've never tried an e-mountain bike. However, many who do try one convert. Since you always still have to pedal and put in a lot of effort, the only real difference is that you go much further and faster, the workout and the effort remain the same. As far as technique and skills, no e-mountain bike can replace those. In fact, you'll need improved skills to go as fast and far as e-bikes now allow over conventional bikes. And you'll find yourself much higher up on mountains and deeper into long trails than you could reach before in a day (unless you were superman and there are some supermen bikers around).

With a conventional mountain bike, I could cover 10-15 miles a day. With the Turbo Levo, I can easily double that and get the same workout. It allows me to reach places I never could before. Once, I biked 65 miles to Canada and back. I can't do justice to describe the additional thrills of e-mountain biking over conventional biking, it has to be experienced.

I'm old (over 60), without an e-bike I could never mountain bike as I used to when I was half my current age. For those 50 and older, e-bikes are a godsend. I'm now in excellent shape all because of this bike.

Try one, it has to be experienced to be believed!

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
380 Posts
Use this thread to get your dealer to price match

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
Unless you're 6'6" or have a ladder or something, a rooftop bike rack is going to be hard to use because the Ascent is very high.
The rooftop is a good compromise if you don’t want to spend money on installing a hitch.
Im 6’ tall and have put my bike on the roof many times, with difficulty. I used the back door as a step and had to be very careful not to bump the paint to cause scratches or dents. I’d recommend having 2 people lift a bike on the roof. Getting the bike down is doable but isn’t much easier 😂

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Not the time or place for this digression, but what the heck:

Yea, that's the typical reaction from mountain bikers who've never tried an e-mountain bike.
I know at least a few who have tried them and have no interest, including myself.

With a conventional mountain bike, I could cover 10-15 miles a day. With the Turbo Levo, I can easily double that and get the same workout.
One could argue you're still only doing 10-15 miles a day. It's the ebike doing the other 10-15 miles.

On my motos I've done 100s/day.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Not the time or place for this digression, but what the heck:
I know at least a few who have tried them and have no interest, including myself.
Of course, to each their own. However, some of the disdain and criticism from conventional mountain bikers toward e-mountain bikers has been uncalled for, and closing mountain bike trails to e-mountain bikers is grossly unfair, unjustified, and bad for the sport.

One could argue you're still only doing 10-15 miles a day. It's the ebike doing the other 10-15 miles...
That's exactly the point I was trying to make, with the same workout, you can go twice as far, which is why e-mountain biking can be so thrilling if you love the scenery as much as I do. Just like you can go further and faster with a conventional bike as you could from running, jogging, or hiking. However, the intensity of the workout is the same. I come back just as exhausted as I did when I rode a conventional mountain bike, but I had a much better and more thrilling time.

On my motos I've done 100s/day.
I can do 15-30 miles a day on blue and black mountain bike trails, which is awesome considering the difficulty level and intensity. You can only go so fast on many of those trails. If I were to go just trail or road riding, I could cover about 70-80 miles per day, maybe more with intense training. My butt gives out way before my legs. lol Want to make a billion dollars? Invent a bicycle seat that doesn't hurt.

Moto biking uses a far more powerful engine and far more comfortable seats. It can't ever be fairly compared to e-mountain bike riding which is nothing more than a convention mountain bike with a tiny electric motor offering only marginal assistance. There's no throttle, you always have to supply human power to get back any assistance from the motor and the motor cuts out at 20 mph which is required for a Class 1 e-bike.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'm wondering what people think about the Subaru roof mounted bike rack, or if I should look for something else (I have crossbars). I have a relatively lightweight Kona and a vintage Gary Fisher, so weight is not an issue. I use a hitch based Yakima 4x on my f-pace ( It came with a hitch) and it works fine, But I don't want to put a hitch on the Ascent. I would only ever be bringing one or possibly two bikes anywhere in the Ascent. Would you suggest, like some people above have, a hatch mounted rack ( I have one for my Lincoln and it seems to work pretty well, don't know if it's compatible with the Ascent, I got it a few years ago so I'll have to check.

Any thoughts? I'm not too concerned about cost, I just want it to be secure.

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
I haven’t tried the
SOA567B020 Thule bike rack but this Yakima is easy to use. The Yakima helps with the height by holding the front wheel when you roll the bike forward, then you can finish climbing up there to secure it.
With either type, roof mounted is going to be more secure than something mounted with straps to your trunk. Keep in mind though ability to get the bike(s) up on the roof and any overhead clearance issues you may encounter.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm wondering what people think about the Subaru roof mounted bike rack, or if I should look for something else (I have crossbars). I have a relatively lightweight Kona and a vintage Gary Fisher, so weight is not an issue. I use a hitch based Yakima 4x on my f-pace ( It came with a hitch) and it works fine, But I don't want to put a hitch on the Ascent. I would only ever be bringing one or possibly two bikes anywhere in the Ascent. Would you suggest, like some people above have, a hatch mounted rack ( I have one for my Lincoln and it seems to work pretty well, don't know if it's compatible with the Ascent, I got it a few years ago so I'll have to check.

Any thoughts? I'm not too concerned about cost, I just want it to be secure.

See my setup on the link above. Its not too bad to load when standing on the interior floor of the car and I'm 5'-9".

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yea, that's the typical reaction from mountain bikers who've never tried an e-mountain bike. However, many who do try one convert. Since you always still have to pedal and put in a lot of effort, the only real difference is that you go much further and faster, the workout and the effort remain the same. As far as technique and skills, no e-mountain bike can replace those. In fact, you'll need improved skills to go as fast and far as e-bikes now allow over conventional bikes. And you'll find yourself much higher up on mountains and deeper into long trails than you could reach before in a day (unless you were superman and there are some supermen bikers around).

With a conventional mountain bike, I could cover 10-15 miles a day. With the Turbo Levo, I can easily double that and get the same workout. It allows me to reach places I never could before. Once, I biked 65 miles to Canada and back. I can't do justice to describe the additional thrills of e-mountain biking over conventional biking, it has to be experienced.

I'm old (over 60), without an e-bike I could never mountain bike as I used to when I was half my current age. For those 50 and older, e-bikes are a godsend. I'm now in excellent shape all because of this bike.

Try one, it has to be experienced to be believed!
I'm not that old ("only" 44) so I try and get out there as much as I can. Sometimes I mountain bike, other times road ride. Down by where I live, the trails are usually a loop that is 7-14 miles long and we will do multiple loops depending on the park. There isn't "further to go" as in your neck of the woods. I hope to "pedal power" as long as I can. The important thing after all is that if it keeps you going out there and being active, its always a plus. My current steeds are a 2017 Scott Spark 930 and a 2015 Cannondale SuperSix Evo Red.
20201021_125753.jpg
20201021_125810.jpg

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
I almost bought a roof rack bike mount, and then was driving to work, and remembered why I can't. Some of our parkway bridges are 7'8" and 7'9" and many are 9'0" and under.

I only bring that up so others who live in similar commute areas keep it in mind (or if you ever visit my neck of the woods).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ordered my Ascent to have a hitch installed when I got it and then bought a 1up bike rake. The rack can get heavy once you add on the third or fourth rack. Yes a little pricy, but well worth every cent spent. I tried another rack I got from REI and it was such a pain the butt to put together that I returned it and ordered the 1up. 1up cam out of the box and basically went straight into the hitch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've mentioned this in other forums, but I never met a trunk mounted rack, and I've had several over the years, that did not damage the car. How can they not if they rest on paint? Years ago, my brother's rack bent the top of his Dodge Caravan's hatch where the straps attached. They are difficult to attach in a way that makes you feel secure.

I have never had a roof rack for bikes. I would not do it with the Ascent because it is so tall. I'm about 5' 8" and my wife is 5' 1" so we would need at least a step stool to safely get bikes up there. Even my about 20 lb bike gets heavy when it is over shoulder height and my wife's weighs more. We don't have a garage, but there are plenty of photos of people who do who forgot about the bikes when pulling in.

I have a hitch bike rack, I forget the brand, that is OK but I have not needed it recently as I just put the bike in the car when needed. For back seat carriage, it takes about 30-60 seconds to take the front wheel off and 30 seconds (with a 15 mm wrench) to take the left pedal off to keep it from damaging the seat (remember, it is a left-hand thread). We don't have a kid at home now to take with us.

I second getting the Subaru hitch.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Out of expedience used a trunk mount rack on my BMW some years ago. I put rectangles of 3M PPF on the areas where the rack contacted the vehicle. This will def prevent scratching but if left on long enough you'll see a ghost of the patches after you remove them as the covered paint ages differently than the exposed paint.

I considered a roof rack but the canopy over the local Taco Bell drive thru is too low.

Hitch rack is by far the best solution. I have aquaintances with hitches on a Porsche 911 and Jaguar coupe. IDK about the 911 hitch but the Jag hitch was custom made.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
380 Posts
I've always been fanatical about avoiding dents, dings and paint damage (worked in a body shop in my high school days). When I used a trunk mount bike rack which had 4 rubber blocks that sat on top of the trunk and 2 more blocks that were supposed to touch the vertical rear portion of the trunk lid, I made squares of heavy gauge sheet metal squares about 4"x4" and plastic dipped them. Placed them between the rubber blocks and the paint. Never made a dent because the pressure was distributed over a larger area than the blocks.

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
What dealer!? Can you send me a reference?
$528 plus tax at Liberty Subaru. You must ask for my friend Dan Meola, tell him I sent you, and make an appointment. You can call him, or reach him through here by messaging @Liberty Subaru

·
Premium Member
2020 Ascent Limited
76 Posts
What dealer!? Can you send me a reference?
I had mine installed at Haldeman Subaru in Hamilton NJ. It was 499.00 plus tax, and I was able to use a 15% off coupon on top of it. Check their website for parts and service specials. Do the same with any dealer, as they often have coupons available. I also checked with Scott Harvey Subaru in Trenton and they offered the same price. Good luck.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts