Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today that my trunk on the 2020 ascent did not open if I clicked on the button near the steering wheel. When I get out of the car and open it from the button near the trunk it opened fine.
Is there a setting that will allow me to open from inside the cabin?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,886 Posts
The dash button only works if the vehicle is unlocked. This is covered in both the manual and in innumerable threads. This is normal Subaru behavior and not Ascent specific.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,886 Posts
Thanks for mentioning that, Merope...yup, just like with the fob, one must press and hold the hatch open/close button for a short bit before it will function. This is a safety feature.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring (Canadian Edition) -- Ice Silver Metallic
114 Posts
I think you also need to be in Park (if you were dropping someone off and not getting out).

·
Registered
421 Posts
I think you also need to be in Park (if you were dropping someone off and not getting out).
And that's true of opening from outside as well. When I stop at the pool and my kid jumps out and runs to the back to get her gear, I need to be in Park or I'll hear "Dad, it wonnn't opennnnnnn."

I'm fine with it. I should be in Park if people are running around and opening the hatch.

F.S.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I noticed today that my trunk on the 2020 ascent did not open if I clicked on the button near the steering wheel. When I get out of the car and open it from the button near the trunk it opened fine.
Thanks!
In addition to doors being unlocked, you have to press/hold. You can’t just click it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks!
Subaru in general has a lot of issues with rear hatch. In our Ascent it would not only not open with the car full of grocery's but we could not stop the alarm from sounding. Had to drive it 30 miles to dealership on a Sunday with the alarm blaring. They had to disconnect the battery and reconnect before anything worked. My son has similar problems with his Outback rear hatch.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring (Canadian Edition) -- Ice Silver Metallic
114 Posts
Subaru in general has a lot of issues with rear hatch. In our Ascent it would not only not open with the car full of grocery's but we could not stop the alarm from sounding. Had to drive it 30 miles to dealership on a Sunday with the alarm blaring. They had to disconnect the battery and reconnect before anything worked. My son has similar problems with his Outback rear hatch.
I think you pressed the buttons one to many times and triggered the safety shut-off.

The manuals says press and hold the button until it resets itself... Like rebooting a computer. I forget it that is 10 or 30 seconds. Cars today are computers.

People need to read the manual to understand how everything works. This includes the dealership LOL.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I think you pressed the buttons one to many times and triggered the safety shut-off.

The manuals says press and hold the button until it resets itself... Like rebooting a computer. I forget it that is 10 or 30 seconds. Cars today are computers.

People need to read the manual to understand how everything works. This includes the dealership LOL.
Manual size would be almost as painful as reading the novel Devta with 8128 pages.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I had trouble opening the hatch with the key fob today. It would beep but would not open. I tried it several times with no luck. Then I finally noticed that a car that looks like mine down the row was opening and closing its hatch. Ok it was mine, I was looking at a clone of my Ascent wondering why it would not work. I would take all the blame for walking up to the wrong car but I will instead blame Subaru for making more than one blue Ascent and making it popular. Where I live I have only seen one other Blue Ascent. Guess I now have seen two others...

·
Registered
820 Posts
I had trouble opening the hatch with the key fob today. It would beep but would not open. I tried it several times with no luck. Then I finally noticed that a car that looks like mine down the row was opening and closing its hatch. Ok it was mine, I was looking at a clone of my Ascent wondering why it would not work. I would take all the blame for walking up to the wrong car but I will instead blame Subaru for making more than one blue Ascent and making it popular. Where I live I have only seen one other Blue Ascent. Guess I now have seen two others...
?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
... Then I finally noticed that a car that looks like mine down the row was opening and closing its hatch...
I couple of years ago I walked up to my car and grabbed the door handle expecting it to unlock (as the Ascent does). It didn't, so I grabbed and tugged it a few more times before I noticed a woman sitting in the driver's seat. Oops, my car was a few spaces over. She was looking at me askance so I shouted through the glass, "Sorry, wrong car. Mine is over there."

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
That is a great story. Don't come to Denver as I have one of those Blues too. We will both be going back and forth between each others' vehicles.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts