Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the trunk cargo bin area (where the tools are) it appears that the bin insert (not sure of the proper name is) may be removable. I'm hoping to get some extra space for "stuff" by taking it out, but don't want to create a monster. Has anyone removed the bin, and is there good reason not to do that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I removed mine. Its easy, basically just pull and it will snap out.
The plastic liner actually holds up the floor board in the trunk. If you remove the liner, be sure there is something in there that can support the weight of whats in the trunk. I used a thick Styrofoam cooler and cut it down to size for support.
The liner is lined with insulation, which may affect cabin temperature and noise. I haven't noticed any differences tho.
There are 2 pipes/hoses in the upper left side. I'm not sure what they are (fuel lines?). Whatever they are, be sure to protect them from any weight from above and stuff knocking into them from the side.

I'll add pics when I get a chance on Tuesday.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I didn't feel like emptying everything out, but you can get quite a bit in there. I have tool bag (center) that's about the size of a school backpack, a 18"x12" dolly, wheel chock, jumper cables, and the stock jack with the included tools.
Beneath the Styrofoam supports on the right is a battery jump starter, trim panel remover kit, and tie down straps.
Inside the side panels are a winch rope & snatch block, and PPE equipment.

The second photo is a close up of the pipes I was talking about. They were warm after driving a bit, so I still have no idea what they are. I have the syrofoam around it to prevent damage.
Electronics Technology Trunk Electronic device Cable
Auto part Fuel line Pipe Wire Exhaust manifold

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm guessing they are refrigerant pipes for the rear air conditioner condenser. If so, be super careful not to have stuff bump up against them - they might be metal tubing, and repetitive stress can cause a crack at the next bend. Don't want that!

Looks like you opened up a ton of space!

F.S.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts