Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I’m not a person who uses the horn much. In fact, probably like most of you I pretty rarely use it... but when I do, I want whomever has roused my ire to know it and GTF outta my way! :p

The OEM horn on the Ascent really is not bad in all honesty. It’s fairly loud (much more so than our 2016 CRV). But I saw a similar mod in a prior bugeye WRX wagon and vowed that one day I would do something similar.

With that in mind, I bought this GAMPRO 12v 150 dB air horn kit off Amazon- it pretty has everything you need for the install, although some of the wires are kinda short.
This is a moderate difficulty mod in that it requires you to remove the front bumper (not really hard - more time consuming) and also requires you to drill (and tap) some holes (also not really hard, just time consuming). I was able to do this last night over the course of about 4-5 hours. If I had to do it again, I could probably bang it out in about 3 hours. Also note that there are plenty of threads in other boards about swapping out the OEM horns for Hella Supertones (which I have done previously on my 2004 WRX). That would probably be a slightly easier and faster mod if you wanted something louder than stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
First step is to remove the front bumper. This is primarily held in by LOTS of plastic clips (both on top and on the bottom of the bumper). Use a flathead screwdriver to pop them open and save them all in a bucket so you don’t lose them! Once those are out, you can the start at each wheel well (there’s a hidden retention clip in there too) and pry open the sides of the front fender.

EDIT: there's no good video for the Ascent yet, but you can use this bumper removal video as a sort of similar approach. There is no side fender flare to remove on the Ascent. Just go slow.

After you pry open both sides, you should be able to pull the front bumper forward and off. Don’t forget to unclip the fog lights (if you have them)!!

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here we can better see the horns. There is one mounted below and slightly behind each headlight (but you have to remove the front bumper anyway to get the headlights out - so no other easy way to access).

With many of these types of mods, you just have to kind of make your best educated guess as to where to mount and place things. I opted to mount the relay, air horn, and mini air compressor (really more of a glorified fan) on the passengers side.

Wiring wise, I connected the white wire from the relay to the white OEM horn wire (had to solder an extension so it would reach). The blue wire from the relay got fused with the black ground wire from the compressor and attached to a nearby grounding bolt. The red wire goes to the main battery positive (again needed to solder a long extension for this). The yellow wire from the relay goes to the compressor positive terminal. I’m not sure the instruction sheet really helps clarify things but I believe the passenger side horn is positive driven.

Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly. Lots of clips to clip back in. Don't forget (like I did) to plug your fog light connector wiring back in!

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So the real question is does it make a difference and how does it sound?

OEM Ascent Horn

GAMPRO truck air horn (+ one OEM Horn)

The truck air horn definitely has that lower pitch air horn quality to it and although I don’t think it seems to translate well to video, it is super freakin loud and bound to get you noticed...

Anyways, enjoy!
-C

edit: FYI - one thing about air horns - my understanding is that the lower tone / pitch horns are typically longer and larger than the higher pitch shrill type horns. The limiting factor is, of course, how much room you have to work with for mounting.

·
Registered
494 Posts
That's pretty awesome. Have to admit, I havent tested out the horn yet so I have no idea what it sounds like. Hopefully it's a little beefy.

Any chance you'll upload a video of how it sounds?

Edit: You just posted that you will...WIN

·
Registered
590 Posts
That's pretty awesome. Have to admit, I havent tested out the horn yet so I have no idea what it sounds like. Hopefully it's a little beefy.

Any chance you'll upload a video of how it sounds?

Edit: You just posted that you will...WIN
Yes! I want to hear the original now! Haha!

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
So the real question is does it make a difference and how does it sound?

OEM Ascent Horn
https://youtu.be/Ei_V7EL0VbE

The truck air horn definitely has that lower pitch air horn quality to it and although I don’t think it seems to translate well to video, it is super freakin loud and bound to get you noticed...

Anyways, enjoy!
-C

edit: FYI - one thing about air horns - my understanding is that the lower tone / pitch horns are typically longer and larger than the higher pitch shrill type horns. The limiting factor is, of course, how much room you have to work with for mounting.
Hmm that stock horn does sound a little lame...

Reactions: scooby

·
Registered
224 Posts
I am surprised that this air horn install was posted before someone has had a chance to throw a set of Hella Supertones on their Ascent. This is a Subaru after all, and Subaru tuners love Supertones :p

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am surprised that this air horn install was posted before someone has had a chance to throw a set of Hella Supertones on their Ascent. This is a Subaru after all, and Subaru tuners lover Supertones :p
I do have the supertones on my WRX. IMHO if I were driving and someone honked at me, I am much more likely to be like, "OMG, what did I do wrong?!?" with the lower tone of the truck air horn blast than the higher pitch of the supertones.
Nothing wrong with the Supertones - they are great as well!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am surprised that this air horn install was posted before someone has had a chance to throw a set of Hella Supertones on their Ascent. This is a Subaru after all, and Subaru tuners lover Supertones :p
I have been thinking of throwing a set on the Ascent but have been busy. If someone beats me to it they should do a tutorial.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I like the horn....Seems like a good amount of work though ... I think I will wait until some aftermarket grills come out and do both the horn and grill at the same time...

·
Registered
590 Posts
I like the horn....Seems like a good amount of work though ... I think I will wait until some aftermarket grills come out and do both the horn and grill at the same time...
So want an aftermarket chrome grill of some sort! I think that’s where they screwed up on the touring model!

·
Registered
59 Posts
That Hella Supertones video made my dogs get angry. Gotta put that on my wish list.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Are the Supertones plug and play? Im pulling the bumper to install some lights so might as well throw some horns in.

·
Super Moderator
2,428 Posts
I just got my air hornS in the mail. Yes, plural... 2 of them. Just awaiting a nice day when I’m free to rip the front bumper off ?
Any lessons learned or other helpful tips for removing the bumper? Thanks in advance and thanks for the pics already posted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts