Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 Subaru ascent touring. My car randomly has issues starting. It will try to turn over for a good 7-10 seconds before finally coughing to life. Can’t find any reason. It has happened in the cold, the warm, morning and night after sitting for a few days and after only sitting for a few hours. Anyone else having this problem?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Lots of discussion about this lately! I had one extended crank a couple of days ago. I checked the battery and it was reading 12.2V. I checked it last night and it was 12.0V! The car is still starting quickly except for that one time, but I think trouble is near. I plan to either have Subaru warranty the battery or find an upgrade tha I can buy myself. I have a battery charger/tender arriving tomorrow that I want to play with before I go through all of that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys! I will have my dealership check it out. Also has anyone else had their brakes chirp? Every time my car sits for awhile (6 hours or so) I get back in and my brakes either grind or squeal.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Thank you guys! I will have my dealership check it out. Also has anyone else had their brakes chirp? Every time my car sits for awhile (6 hours or so) I get back in and my brakes either grind or squeal.
Cold damp winter possibly road deicing stuff the discs get some surface crud or even surface rust then add cold brake pads with high ceramic content and you get loud cold brakes. Its pretty typical across all brands.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Had the same issue on a legacy, but was really apparent when it was below 40 degrees. My Ascent also has a hard time, but not bad enough yet to warrant a trip the dreadful dealer.

After many months new battery(helped a little), fuel pump, adjusting cam position sensor with custom shims...it turn out to be Subaru's notoriously weak starters which always seem to be on the brink of not starting the car from brand new.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Had the same issue on a legacy, but was really apparent when it was below 40 degrees. My Ascent also has a hard time, but not bad enough yet to warrant a trip the dreadful dealer.

After many months new battery(helped a little), fuel pump, adjusting cam position sensor with custom shims...it turn out to be Subaru's notoriously weak starters which always seem to be on the brink of not starting the car from brand new.
Why own it? I have not read anything you like about subaru's. You only seem to pop up in post and only have something bad to say about them. Why not just move on?

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
Odd... anything different about yours or the service they performed?

Odd. I changed the battery on my 2010 Outback once in 221,990 miles. And, my starter took more abuse than almost any other Subie owners' starters did, including regular immersion in salt water. Never had to change it. Never had problems with it starting the car other than when my original battery died.

Is there something particular with yours, do you think? Aftermarket part? Bad repair job? Some other fault?

When my car wasn't driving in salt water...

It was literally sitting for hours in it. During this stint, when high tide came up, the whole underside, up to the edges of the doors, was under ocean water. At this point, the water was an inch up the bottom of the rim, and still rising. Yet, I've never had starter problems, even after years of doing these things at the same tidal pool.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Why own it? I have not read anything you like about subaru's. You only seem to pop up in post and only have something bad to say about them. Why not just move on?
Good resale, good value and like the more utilitarian design and great viability. Plus i'm tall and the legacy has a ton of head room and decent leg room the only thing better than the ascent was the VW.
The only issue i'm having that is questioning my decision is the trans issue I've had with my Legacy and the radio issue with the ascent. All other issues are annoying but for the value and resale i'll overlook them.
I'm at the point where i need to trade it before i can't drive it anymore or bring it into the shop again. It;s slipping and stalling slightly now when braking hard. I've stopped driving it for now.
I brought it in once before because it was stalling out after extended driving and was dangerous and the repair worked for about a year and i think at this point I can't trust it anymore.

To be honest who cares if what i have to say is something negative on a thread about starting issues...it is what it is. I understand it's a Subaru website, but it's not just a place for praise.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
...a thread about starting issues...it is what it is. I understand it's a Subaru website, but it's not just a place for praise.
What year Leggy? I may have missed that above, if so, sorry. 2.5i I presume?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Odd. I changed the battery on my 2010 Outback once in 221,990 miles. And, my starter took more abuse than almost any other Subie owners' starters did, including regular immersion in salt water. Never had to change it. Never had problems with it starting the car other than when my original battery died.

Is there something particular with yours, do you think? Aftermarket part? Bad repair job? Some other fault?

When my car wasn't driving in salt water...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE91m-Y3p1Q

It was literally sitting for hours in it. During this stint, when high tide came up, the whole underside, up to the edges of the doors, was under ocean water. At this point, the water was an inch up the bottom of the rim, and still rising. Yet, I've never had starter problems, even after years of doing these things at the same tidal pool.
I honestly think i'm just having terrible luck and think i bought cars or parts that were produced late on a Friday :)...it's weird because i've had great luck with GM and GM doesn't have the best track record. I avoid aftermarket parts unless they are known to be an improvement and keep the reliability. I replaced the starter with one from a wrecked Legacy with under 10k and it's been fine although still struggles a bit when really cold out...any other car i've owned starts about the same no matter what the temp unless it like 10 below.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Lots of discussion about this lately! I had one extended crank a couple of days ago. I checked the battery and it was reading 12.2V. I checked it last night and it was 12.0V! The car is still starting quickly except for that one time, but I think trouble is near. I plan to either have Subaru warranty the battery or find an upgrade tha I can buy myself. I have a battery charger/tender arriving tomorrow that I want to play with before I go through all of that.
My charger came today and the battery was reading 12.4V before I hooked it up, so it seems to be getting a mild charge from the alternator. I understand an alternator isn't a battery charger per se, but it can help as long as the battery isn't flat. Correct?

I only had the charger hooked up for a couple of hours and it brought the battery from 84% to 99%. It seemed to be hung up on 99% so I disconnected it before the trickle kicked in. The battery measured 12.78V. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

My low voltage could've been from extensive idling in the snow with the heater on several days ago. I thought the long drive home would've topped it up, but after reading about charging systems, I see that might not necessarily happen. In any case, I saved myself from having to go to the dealer for now. My battery might be fine afterall? Some of these threads can induce paranoia. :dunno:

·
Registered
646 Posts
He's the quintessential American. Has everything necessary for a great easy life but not happy unless there's something to complain about.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.