Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday night I started our Ascent Touring in the garage. Started fine, no issues and I put the Ascent into reverse. It did not start to move when my foot came of the brake. Luckily, I did not give it any gas as reverse finally became engaged and the vehicle felt like it was slammed backward. My foot was near the brake and I immediately stopped my rear ward motion.

My wife who was standing outside said it sounded like someone peeling out.

This was the first time I have experienced this and the Ascent ran normally the rest of the night.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Imagine how the race car drivers feel. They never can make a right turn. Seriously, despite it returning to normal for the night, I would bring it to the dealer. Some transmissions have had issues. Yours may have some variant.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
When you immediately start the car, and shift, the CVT will not shift into reverse immediately. It will wait until enough pressure (as much as 1,200 psi) builds up to fill the primary and secondary pulley cones so the chain doesn't slip.

A plethora of things affect this. For instance, if the car has been sitting, it takes longer, because the system has depressurized more. If you start the car and tap the gas pedal to drop the idle, it takes longer.

I'd be more concerned if it did shift immediately.

It's not a geared transmission, so, it doesn't quite operate the same. Regardless, automatics have similar characteristics when cold or when the valve bodies are pressurizing.

Can't hurt to take it in though, if you are concerned.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Do I need to let it idle for a minute before selecting reverse?
No, it should be able to reverse soon after starting if you wanted to do that.

Do you have AVH on? That might be your issue. I'm not sure if AVH works when in reverse actually. I tend not to use it except at drive throughs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Do you have AVH on? That might be your issue. I'm not sure if AVH works when in reverse actually. I tend not to use it except at drive throughs.
This was my thought. The AVH definitely works when reversing. I always remember it's on when trying to parallel park. However, a double tap of the brake with disengage the AVH without having to turn the button off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts