Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just filled my tank for the first time and want to reset the trip odometer to keep track (in addition to the computer) but I am embarrassed to say I can’t figure out how. Full disclosure- I didn’t look in the (huge) owner’s manual yet but I will. I was just hoping for a quick answer to a simple thing that I have always been able to figure out in other cars! Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just filled my tank for the first time and want to reset the trip odometer to keep track (in addition to the computer) but I am embarrassed to say I can’t figure out how. Full disclosure- I didn’t look in the (huge) owner’s manual yet but I will. I was just 99hoping for a quick answer to a simple thing that I have always been able to figure out in other cars! Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever get an answer to this question? I love my Ascent but the are minor issues like this one that I can't seem to get answers to. The answers really don't give k(k(

·
Registered
561 Posts
I use the 'A' odometer for oil changes, reset to zero when I change oil, and the 'B' odometer for fill-ups of gas so I can track fuel economy.
Besides these 'hard' odometers, there is at least one other that works from the paddles on the steering wheel and another on the small screen above the radio. One will tell you trip mileage from the time you started the car for each trip. I use it between fill ups.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
Did you ever get an answer to this question? I love my Ascent but the are minor issues like this one that I can't seem to get answers to. The answers really don't give k(k(
As stated above, press and hold down the Trip button that you use to switch between A and B. Which ever one is being displayed will reset to zero after about 2 seconds of holding the button down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My WRX had aMPG average for the total odometer reading. I wonder why the Ascent doesn’t! With 84 k miles I averaged 28.6

·
Registered
561 Posts
I use one trip for checking mpg, resetting with each tank fill up. The other trip is used for oil changes. Easy to see how many miles since last oil change.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,854 Posts
The Ascent does, but maybe not the way you want it. You'd have to use one of the trips and simply never reset it.
F.S.
This. I use trip A for overall, long term average. Do note that the trip A and tip B will rollover to "0" when they hit 10K, but the average is still calculated on whatever mileage range is in the algorithm used.

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
The Ascent does, but maybe not the way you want it. You'd have to use one of the trips and simply never reset it.
F.S.
Kinda. It resets at 10,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
2,428 Posts
When they roll over to 0 after 10000, do they keep the data (mpg, etc) or start over?
My trip b has never been over 6000
Trip a never over 500. Any guess what I track with them?

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
When they roll over to 0 after 10000, do they keep the data (mpg, etc) or start over?
My trip b has never been over 6000
Trip a never over 500. Any guess what I track with them?
I only caught it once. Starts all over.

Oil change and tank full, in that order? ?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,854 Posts
I've not manually reset Trip A since I bought the vehicle. The miles rolled over to 0 at 10K, but the calculated average didn't change.

Reactions: xydadx3

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
I've not manually reset Trip A since I bought the vehicle. The miles rolled over to 0 at 10K, but the calculated average didn't change.
Mine changed calculations to be based on 0 point mileage.

Ugh, let me try to say that differently, which may or may not help.

Let's say I was at 25 mpg at 9,999 miles. First off, those of you who know how I drive know that's not possible. But, let's skip that.

When I rolled over to zero miles, I still had 25 mpg, but the thing acted like it does at zero miles, so, if I suddenly hit a stoplight at 0.1 miles, my 25 mpg dropped rapidly, instead of doing not much of anything (as one would expect with 10,000.1 miles). It calculated off 0.1 miles.

So, short version is, I suspect it uses the miles displayed in calculations, even though it maintains the mileage.

I'll test again soon. Or so I'd suspect. :ROFLMAO: ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts