Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems my Ascent has no apparent trouble cruising along at 55-60 mph and 1400-1500 rpm, but rarely chooses to do so on its own.

Found I can force this by using the paddle shifter to select gear 8. The Ascent will generally respect this setting until I accelerate or slow down.

Appears the MPG improvement is notable.

Has anyone else tried this?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,678 Posts
Lots of folks have talked about this here in the forums and in the FB group. I suppose under certain circumstances that might work to improve fuel economy. At the same time, the lowest RPM isn't always the most efficient RPM, depending on conditions. That's what the CVT software worries about and deals with, including when using cruise control.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw some past discussion but have found old information isn't always the best information.
I discovered this quite by accident.
After owning the Ascent for a year I still have rare "what does this button do" moments.
Initially the paddle shifters seemed quite useless to me perhaps I just haven't discovered the rpm "power band" if there is one.

What I really want to know is there anyone who does this regularly or often?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
35 Posts
I saw some past discussion but have found old information isn't always the best information.
I discovered this quite by accident.
After owning the Ascent for a year I still have rare "what does this button do" moments.
Initially the paddle shifters seemed quite useless to me perhaps I just haven't discovered the rpm "power band" if there is one.

When the CVT is acting up a little, as in when I want some speed and can not get any without really pushing on the pedal. That is when I`ll put it in manual, and when coming to a up hill I`ll gear down some, just driving like it was manual tranny if it had a clutch kind of. (lol)Other days it`s cruise/tunes time, enjoying the ride. Should say the hwy`s here are 2 lane with rolling hills, not flat ish interstate type roads.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
658 Posts
Seems my Ascent has no apparent trouble cruising along at 55-60 mph and 1400-1500 rpm, but rarely chooses to do so on its own.

Found I can force this by using the paddle shifter to select gear 8. The Ascent will generally respect this setting until I accelerate or slow down.

Appears the MPG improvement is notable.

Has anyone else tried this?
I've wondered about this myself, but only played around with it a tiny bit, so don't have any answers. On the surface it seems like it would help the mileage, which is why I tried it, but until I get to try it out on a really long drive there are just to many little variables for me to come to any conclusions. Would love to hear from anyone who's played around with that on long & flat enough road trips to really compare.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've wondered about this myself, but only played around with it a tiny bit, so don't have any answers. On the surface it seems like it would help the mileage, which is why I tried it, but until I get to try it out on a really long drive there are just to many little variables for me to come to any conclusions. Would love to hear from anyone who's played around with that on long & flat enough road trips to really compare.
I'll be doing that for at least a few weeks We'll see if it helps at all. 1st try seemed promising.

·
Super Moderator
3,499 Posts
I did early-on. At first I thought it improved mpg’s but I think that was more the result of my wanting it to do so rather than an actual improvement. 8th gear at a steady speed on level ground does seem ideal so conventional cruise control might be worth trying at the same time. ACC can slow you down without noticing then you’ll have to re-accelerate and it doesn’t do that well in 8th gear.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,524 Posts
While you're experimenting, keep the info screen or graph for instantaneous mileage open. You should be able to tell quickly if 8th is a fuel saver. But, try it at different cruising speeds because even on level ground, there's going to be a point where lugging and reduced volumetric efficiency through the intake/turbo due to too low RPMs and increased wind resistance. My guess is that beyond about 65mph you'll get worse mileage in 8th.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
561 Posts
While you're experimenting, keep the info screen or graph for instantaneous mileage open. You should be able to tell quickly if 8th is a fuel saver. But, try it at different cruising speeds because even on level ground, there's going to be a point where lugging and reduced volumetric efficiency through the intake/turbo due to too low RPMs and increased wind resistance. My guess is that beyond about 65mph you'll get worse mileage in 8th.
I used the "M" mode quite a bit during the breakin period. It seems that "D" is programmed to get to the highest "gear" ASAP, likely to improve MPG for the EPA ratings. my thought was to control RPM, prevent lugging, use engine braking, and vary the speed. Perhaps it is the placebo effect, but I think using "M" during the learning period taught the ECU/TCM my preferred driving style. I find that 8th "gear" is rarely selected by the car when in "D" mode. Next time you are cruising on flat ground at highway speed, flip the shifter over to "M", and I bet you will see 7th "gear", not 8th.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so what I'm trying exactly is leaving it in D, manual pedal speed control, 55 or 60 mph.

The CVT can and does take it out of 8th whenever it wants, but it's often several minutes before that happens.

My CVT will not stay in 8th on its own unless I am going at least 55mph, which is expected.

Accelerating even a little will immediately drop it down.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used the "M" mode quite a bit during the breakin period. It seems that "D" is programmed to get to the highest "gear" ASAP, likely to improve MPG for the EPA ratings. my thought was to control RPM, prevent lugging, use engine braking, and vary the speed. Perhaps it is the placebo effect, but I think using "M" during the learning period taught the ECU/TCM my preferred driving style. I find that 8th "gear" is rarely selected by the car when in "D" mode. Next time you are cruising on flat ground at highway speed, flip the shifter over to "M", and I bet you will see 7th "gear", not 8th.
I'm leaving it in D and pressing the right paddle 1 time to make it go into 8th. Manual only on the pedal.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm leaving it in D and pressing the right paddle 1 time to make it go into 8th. Manual only on the pedal.
Leaving the shifter in "D" reverts complete control to the TCM/ECU. Using the paddle will momentarily upshift to 8th, but if the car's computer control "thinks" that 7th is a better choice based on road speed, engine load, incline, etc it will override your selection. The only way to remain in 8th is to select "M" on the shifter.

Reactions: Treediddy

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Leaving the shifter in "D" reverts complete control to the TCM/ECU. Using the paddle will momentarily upshift to 8th, but if the car's computer control "thinks" that 7th is a better choice based on road speed, engine load, incline, etc it will override your selection. The only way to remain in 8th is to select "M" on the shifter.
Mine will stay in 8 for miles on D. I must maintain a steady neutral throttle. The rpm will stay steady at a point between 1400 and 1500 rpm. If I slow down or even accelerate a bit it goes to 7.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Mine will stay in 8 for miles on D. I must maintain a steady neutral throttle. The rpm will stay steady at a point between 1400 and 1500 rpm. If I slow down or even accelerate a bit it goes to 7.
Or, you can just put the lever in "M", upshift to 8th, engage CC or ACC and forget about having to modulate the throttle pedal. The caveat would be to not let the engine lug if you encounter slower traffic, an incline, or need to accelerate for passing.

Just keeping your ear tuned to the engine and common sense will tell you to either manually downshift (like you would with a stick shift) or put the lever back in the "D" position and let the TCM take over.

Reactions: Percy Garris

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'd have to manually engage 8th around 50-65 mph... unscientifically I'd say it gave me 1-2 extra mpg in most cases....
Howdy stranger, good to see you!!
How's the new ride...(top line Infinity or Accura if I recall)?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
I also just let the CVT do it’s thing 99.9% of the time after playing with manual mode early on in ownership. If it matters, consider that gear ratio is less than 1:1 after 5th “gear”. The CVT has a lot of overdrive in it, unless there’s gear reduction elsewhere in the drivetrain.

I have an OBD app that shows CVT data. I think it goes down to a ~1:0.45 ratio at the max.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts