Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Honest question. What is the necessity of a trickle charger on your Ascent? Does it sit for long periods without being driven? I have one for my motorcycle for this purpose.
Several reasons.
1. Loss of trust in my vehicle. Out of 5 times my car had flat battery - one was medical emergency - and it was a big frustration. Subaru customer care just ignore my requests. So I have two options - a) sell the car and lose $10-20k b) find an inexpencive fix - e.g. "hatch catch" + new battery + remote battery monitor + trickle charger + LiFePo jump starter. I love the rest of my Ascent so this is a trade-off for me... kinda an insurance.
2. Battery maintenance is always good. Especially in winter. So I hope my new AGM battery will serve more than OEM shitbox. Battery tender is powered via a smart home plug and I see battery voltage on my phone. So basically, I can monitor and control charging my battery remotely. Also, when I see random drain or voltage drop I can turn on tender when needed or just keep it always on when the weather is super-cold.
3. The car does not stay for long periods, but I do not drive much either. 1k km per month. The pattern is the same for already 10 years. It was enough for all my other cars to charge the battery. But Ascent... well, back to reason 1.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Several reasons.
1. Loss of trust in my vehicle. Out of 5 times my car had flat battery - one was medical emergency - and it was a big frustration. Subaru customer care just ignore my requests. So I have two options - a) sell the car and lose $10-20k b) find an inexpencive fix - e.g. "hatch catch" + new battery + remote battery monitor + trickle charger + LiFePo jump starter. I love the rest of my Ascent so this is a trade-off for me... kinda an insurance.
2. Battery maintenance is always good. Especially in winter. So I hope my new AGM battery will serve more than OEM shitbox. Battery tender is powered via a smart home plug and I see battery voltage on my phone. So basically, I can monitor and control charging my battery remotely. Also, when I see random drain or voltage drop I can turn on tender when needed or just keep it always on when the weather is super-cold.
3. The car does not stay for long periods, but I do not drive much either. 1k km per month. The pattern is the same for already 10 years. It was enough for all my other cars to charge the battery. But Ascent... well, back to reason 1.
Interesting. Sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed my battery continues to operate normally. If that happened to me is likely set up similar.
1) how do you monitor remotely? Is that part of the noco functionality?
2) which battery did you replace the OEM with. It looks like energizer? I had no idea they made car batteries?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Interesting. Sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed my battery continues to operate normally. If that happened to me is likely set up similar.
1) how do you monitor remotely? Is that part of the noco functionality?
2) which battery did you replace the OEM with. It looks like energizer? I had no idea they made car batteries?
1) BM2 bluetooth voltage meter: BUNKER INDUST Battery Monitor BM2 Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Battery Tester 12V Automotive Battery Load Tester, Automotive Charging and Cranking System Monitor Digital Battery Analyzer for Android & iOS, Battery Testers - Amazon Canada
2) Costco Energizer. Group 35 AGM.

Here is how you can watch voltage via an Android App (via Bluetooth) and you have history:

BTW, it also very well shows range of the charging voltage (I was worried a lot if trickle charge would be safe for car electronics). It never went higher than 15v. (that specific model of NOCO 2D has only one mode - for automatic battery maintenance onboard the vehicle). Quite smart device, but I still avoid using it at night.
As per the diagram, it probes the battery every ~1.5h and if needed tops it (with the current less than 2A and voltage less than 15v).

Disclaimer - I have no association with NOCO or BM2 or Costco.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
One more interesting fact (since today is exactly 2 years since I bought my Ascent).

What happened to my old battery? I keep it, since it is still technically under warranty and Subaru refused to reimburse the new one. As a lemon evidence.

I've been testing the old OEM battery periodically (full charge and discharge with known load) and collecting data.
Here is some of it:
  • number of full test cycles - 5 (charging to max possible and discharge to 10.5v)
  • "full charge" at <10A via NOCO 10. but after ~3h it does not take more charge
  • discharge current 0.65-0.85A using 10W 12V cup heater.
  • approx. resulting capacity - <20Ah. (e.g. <45% for that current).
If you also take into account that on the car the battery is never 100% charged - the REAL charge left is 10-15Ah.
Certainly, the chance to join the "Dead Battery Club" with a 2yr OEM battery is very high.

Update Jan 7, 2021:
one more test of my old OEM battery that I've done today (this is test 6):
  • Jan 6 - full day of charge with NOCO 10
  • Leave it overnight. Test Jan 7, 2021.
  • Discharge using LED stripe (12v : 1A)
  • Time to discharge <12h
  • Start voltage: 12.54v : current 1.5A (going down as voltage drops)
  • End voltage: 7.9v : current 0.35A
So, when discharging with 1A workload a 2year old OEM battery from my Ascent has capacity of less than 12AH. e.g. less than 30% of its factory capacity.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Several reasons.
Sorry to hear about problem #1, but we've had our 2019 Ascent for 2.5 years now. We only have 20k on it, and since covid we barely drive it. 3 miles a week sometimes if we go grocery shopping. Lol never had a battery problem that wasn't my wife's fault, like leaving the passenger door light on. Smh

But for that I have a battery tender or when I use to have a truck I would put it in neutral push it out and jump start it.

Recently I just bought one of them portable battery charger units since we are down to just one vehicle now and can't rely on a jump start.

Any case we're still on the oem battery. Like I said above, our problems were due to "user" error.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.