Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of 18" wheels from a Tribeca. I think they are the same size as the Ascent. Just ordered an Ascent and will be ordering some Hakka R3's for the Tribeca wheels to mount on the Ascent when it comes in for winter duty. Has anyone else tried this? Any reason why it wouldn't work?

·
Super Moderator
6,824 Posts
I have a set of 18" wheels from a Tribeca. I think they are the same size as the Ascent. Just ordered an Ascent and will be ordering some Hakka R3's for the Tribeca wheels to mount on the Ascent when it comes in for winter duty. Has anyone else tried this? Any reason why it wouldn't work?
What year Tribeca, and, are they stock?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What year Tribeca, and, are they stock?

2011 IIRC, but they are all the same as far as I know. Yes, stock wheels.

they should both be 114.3 x 5. Tribeca wheels were 8" wide, ascent are 7.5", close enough. i wonder if even the TPMS sensors would work?

·
Super Moderator
6,824 Posts
2011 IIRC, but they are all the same as far as I know. Yes, stock wheels.

they should both be 114.3 x 5. Tribeca wheels were 8" wide, ascent are 7.5", close enough. i wonder if even the TPMS sensors would work?
TPMS, unlikely. I already took mine to be programmed, and was told the Ascent programming was different.

As for the rims, I cannot find the load rating, but it needs to be at least 1,800 pounds. It's possible, considering the GVWR of the Tribeca is only a few hundred pounds less.

If you can measure the smallest distance inside the rim (rim well to rim well), I can compare to ones I know just fit, and let you know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TPMS, unlikely. I already took mine to be programmed, and was told the Ascent programming was different.

As for the rims, I cannot find the load rating, but it needs to be at least 1,800 pounds. It's possible, considering the GVWR of the Tribeca is only a few hundred pounds less.

If you can measure the smallest distance inside the rim (rim well to rim well), I can compare to ones I know just fit, and let you know.

Robert,

Thanks. I'm certain they are fine in regard weight limits, and I know they are 114.3 x 5's, so I think I'm good there. They also have the same offset (55) and the same center bore for the hub (56.1). However, since you ran your Ascent for a bit without the TPMS sensors initialized, can you tell me if there was more than just the typically annoying flashy light on the dash? Did it mess up any of the nanny electronic systems? I'd love to not spend silly money on tpms sensors, I know how to monitor my own air pressure. Thank you!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well, you won't know until you test fit them. It's the front caliper clearance that could be the problem. The Ascent ones are likely larger.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, you won't know until you test fit them. It's the front caliper clearance that could be the problem. The Ascent ones are likely larger.

Or at least I won't know until I go to a message board and see if anyone else has done this already. I seriously doubt the calipers are too large to fit under 18's, this isn't a porsche we're talking about, but that's why I'm here asking the question. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,824 Posts

Robert,

Thanks. I'm certain they are fine in regard weight limits, and I know they are 114.3 x 5's, so I think I'm good there. They also have the same offset (55) and the same center bore for the hub (56.1). However, since you ran your Ascent for a bit without the TPMS sensors initialized, can you tell me if there was more than just the typically annoying flashy light on the dash? Did it mess up any of the nanny electronic systems? I'd love to not spend silly money on tpms sensors, I know how to monitor my own air pressure. Thank you!
Yep, all those specs are perfect.

No TPMS gets you a few fun prizes.. The expected dash light, an info warning on the driver pod, an email with info on what to do, and a warning offering to schedule service on the infotainment system.

Once you ignore the display warnings, they won't nag you again, which will just leave the info warning on the center pod, which you won't see unless you are on that page, and the "i" symbol.

Perhaps it repeats the other warnings at some point? But I think I only did a hundred miles like that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, all those specs are perfect.

No TPMS gets you a few fun prizes.. The expected dash light, an info warning on the driver pod, an email with info on what to do, and a warning offering to schedule service on the infotainment system.

Once you ignore the display warnings, they won't nag you again, which will just leave the info warning on the center pod, which you won't see unless you are on that page, and the "i" symbol.

Perhaps it repeats the other warnings at some point? But I think I only did a hundred miles like that.

Robert,

I think you just saved me $500+. Thank you sir.

Now I just have to find a way to test my wheels on an ascent to be doubley sure they clear calipers before I order my Nokian Hakka R3's and mount them up. I'll report back here when i eventually get that done.

·
Super Moderator
6,824 Posts
Really cheap TPMS

Robert,

Now I just have to find a way to test my wheels on an ascent to be doubley sure they clear calipers before I order my Nokian Hakka R3's and mount them up. I'll report back here when i eventually get that done.
Well, before you decide, remember that wheel sizes are very important on Subarus because of the real always on all four wheel AWD, and an uninflated tire is a different diameter. Of course, with me constantly letting air out and re-inflating my tires for off-roading, it's even mroe important to me, and you can probably get away without them.

But anyway, the good news is that some aftermarket TPMS units should likely work by now, and they're a lot cheaper. I'd call Discount Tire or Tire Rack and ask them what they have.

THEN, have them cloned to your original ones, that way you never have to get them programmed again. Simply swap tires and you're all set. Tire position doesn't matter, btw. The readers are behind each wheel well.

So, that'll still save you hundreds. Just not $500+ :tango_face_wink:

So, take your pick. Save $300ish, or $500+. :grin:

And now, to put your money where my mouth is, so to speak (your wallet, my idea, lol)... this seller has a 99.9% seller satisfaction rating with 1,833 sales, and he says these will work.
$140 vs $480 for the sensors saves you $340 right there. Cloning should be pretty cheap, especially if you get it done when you get the tires mounted or rotated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Old thread, but didn't see this answered.

They absolutely do fit, I have a set on mine for winter tires. I have the 10 spoke newer style, but the older ones should fit too. They actually look decent enough that I'm considering selling the 20"s and getting another set.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Robert,

Buy Robert a present with the savings. I think I heard he needs a new beach pail and shovel.
:LOL:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,824 Posts
Buy Robert a present with the savings. I think I heard he needs a new beach pail and shovel.
:LOL:
LOL!!! Where were you 7 years ago when NYS mandated I buy those if I wanted to drive on the beach?!?!? 😡😂

On a serious note, I found a very very nice collapsible shovel/saw/chop thing to replace my original collapsible shovel. And that reminds me that I have a a beach/off-road video to do one day.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts