Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the main reasons I went with an Ascent vs another Forester was because I want to travel with my corgi girls. So with 800 miles on the car, we headed off to Wisconsin (from Maryland) to buy a loom. I got the Limited trim because I wanted that bench seat for canine comfort. I put the dog hammock in place and off we went! Heading almost Straight west on I-80 into a headwind, we were getting about 22 mpg, but when the wind dropped, it popped right up to 28 mpg. It is a pleasure to drive on a long drive. I thought the cruise control was much smoother than the older version in the Forester and even with driving into the wind all day, the seating was so comfy that I was way less fatigued than I expected to be. Stopped near Rockford, IL at an Airbnb. Day 2 - made a short run to the WI border to pick up the loom. With the third seat folded, there was plenty of room for the loom in The back and the girls in the second row seating. Day 3 - headed back to MD. Loom - check. Luggage - check. Dogs - check. Put another 800+ miles on the car. It’s a little less fun to drive than the Forester, but still Feels pretty good and is definitely solid to drive.
Dog Vertebrate Carnivore Mammal Vehicle

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,935 Posts
One of the main reasons I went with an Ascent vs another Forester was because I want to travel with my corgi girls. So with 800 miles on the car, we headed off to Wisconsin (from Maryland) to buy a loom. I got the Limited trim because I wanted that bench seat for canine comfort. I put the dog hammock in place and off we went! Heading almost Straight west on I-80 into a headwind, we were getting about 22 mpg, but when the wind dropped, it popped right up to 28 mpg. It is a pleasure to drive on a long drive. I thought the cruise control was much smoother than the older version in the Forester and even with driving into the wind all day, the seating was so comfy that I was way less fatigued than I expected to be. Stopped near Rockford, IL at an Airbnb. Day 2 - made a short run to the WI border to pick up the loom. With the third seat folded, there was plenty of room for the loom in The back and the girls in the second row seating. Day 3 - headed back to MD. Loom - check. Luggage - check. Dogs - check. Put another 800+ miles on the car. It’s a little less fun to drive than the Forester, but still Feels pretty good and is definitely solid to drive.
View attachment 16433
the girls look ready for their next adventure.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Love reading posts like these. The pups look pleased and like @packout said, they look ready for the next adventure.

My pup was one of the biggest reasons why I got the Ascent as well. I was bummed when he looked terrified to be in it for almost a full year. Now when we go out, he waits for me to carry him in.

·
Registered
43 Posts
They are precious! I have two Border Collies. I’m not sure I want them in my new car. We drove 20 minutes and it took me over two hours to get that hair out of the car. so.. they will ride in the old Tahoe that just doesnt show the hair the same. Don’t get it! A Loom from Wisconsin sounds interesting!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,935 Posts
They are precious! I have two Border Collies. I’m not sure I want them in my new car. We drove 20 minutes and it took me over two hours to get that hair out of the car. so.. they will ride in the old Tahoe that just doesnt show the hair the same. Don’t get it! A Loom from Wisconsin sounds interesting!

Car Dog Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thats a nice cover! We did get a cover like that, but one of my boys likes jumping back and forth and his hair flys all over the place. The other looks at him like he's nuts! The third seat was down and I had to open them to clean out the seats. Hair everywhere! They had just had a bath; so, they were pretty fluffy and not brushed out. Most likely made it worse.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent, 2015 Kia K900
207 Posts
I've got two Shar Peis and a Touring so no second row bench seat. I use pet seats for them: K&H PET PRODUCTS Buckle N' Go Dog Car Seat for Pets, Large Dog Car Seat 21 X 19 X 19 Inches, Gray, 100538738 https://a.co/d/bW4UWe9

I keep them strapped in with a lead attached to the seatbelt buckle. They work great. The only problem is that they are sisters and they do not like to be separated, even in those pet seats.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,553 Posts
I've got two Shar Peis and a Touring so no second row bench seat. I use pet seats for them: K&H PET PRODUCTS Buckle N' Go Dog Car Seat for Pets, Large Dog Car Seat 21 X 19 X 19 Inches, Gray, 100538738 https://a.co/d/bW4UWe9

I keep them strapped in with a lead attached to the seatbelt buckle. They work great. The only problem is that they are sisters and they do not like to be separated, even in those pet seats.
How do you get them in there over the high sides. I have to assist my older 62# dog into the car, I don't see how I'd be able to get her up over the side.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent, 2015 Kia K900
207 Posts
How do you get them in there over the high sides. I have to assist my older 62# dog into the car, I don't see how I'd be able to get her up over the side.
I don't buckle the strap around the front seat headrest until after I put each dog in the seat so the sides and front of the seat aren't lifted until after I put the dog in. It's very easy that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts