Subaru Ascent Forum banner
161 - 167 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I tow a PUMA 16DSX Ultralight. It's just me, my girlfriend, and my dog. I like the PUMA line mainly because of the space, price, and the fridge is HUGE for a ultralight

full gear, battery, tank on the tongue came out to 450lb tongue weight (tested and true) and the Ascent tows it with ease

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
A couple of mods I finally got around to doing. The bike rack was a long time coming, mostly because I kept going back and forth between replacing the bumper with 4" square tube or c channel and attaching a hitch or building a custom rack. The custom rack won out. $40 of angle and a day to fab and paint, I'm happy with it.
Wheel Tire Mode of transport Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire

One unintended consequence was a lot of weight came off the tongue, too much weight. Considering the steel was 49 lbs and the bikes weigh 30 and 36 lbs, I didn't expect this much of a shift, but full loaded I was under 400 lbs where I'm usually at just under 500 lbs. So I transferred the spare to the front and today I fabbed a dual propane tank bracket and holder.

That should help a lot, I'm fairly certain I've got the extra hitch capacity now to even mount my generator over the tongue, but we've not needed to use it yet so I'll wait on any permanent mounting.

The 30 amp weatherproof plug to me is a must, the factory setup is a joke, I had a colony of carpenter ants moving in the last time we went camping, so I ordered the plug and picked up the cord end from Lowes.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Camping update, we made it up to Topsail Preserve state park this year in the Florida panhandle. With a night spent in Oleno State park, we traveled a total of 450 miles and averaged 11.5 mpg at 60 mph. The towing was great, removing a lot of unnecessary equipment helped a bunch. The return trip I intend to try 65mph and compare mileage, my trailer tires are rated for 81mph so no worries there. I will probably also add a bit more weight up front.
Tire Plant Plant community Motor vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Plant Vehicle

Sky Plant Plant community Natural landscape Branch

Plant Car Sky Tire Vehicle

Water Sky Cloud Beach Light

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,226 Posts
I bet that wind had a major impact for sure!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,226 Posts
Wind may be the culprit more than weight
With travel trailers and cargo boxes, that's absolutely true. Weight is certainly a component because acceleration and extra load when moving uphill are certainly going to make the engine thirsty, but the effect of moving through the air puts significant resistance to forward movement. Add wind to that...and the more of a headwind it is, the worst it is and as speed rises, the effect multiplies..cha-ching. The same thing affects fuel economy of the bare vehicle. The faster you go, the more wind resistance there is that the engine has to fight against. The old laws of physics strike again!

Reactions: BiggieSub
161 - 167 of 167 Posts