Subaru Ascent Forum banner

121 - 140 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Today was the day, we signed all our papers and towed our new camper to my in laws unfortunately, lol. Two funny things, I completely forgot about the trailer sway control system and didn't hook it up in the car, simple controller plugs into 12v outlet and I didnt even think to check the tanks...they are nearly full. We discovered that after we got home, but otherwise she towed good, there was a lot more sway getting onto I95 (remember that sway controller, lol) than anywhere else. We drove through a rainstorm and in bumper to bumper traffic. I nearly pushed some terribly rude driver off the road, as he was speeding around me on the right as I was changing lanes. Two things we need before bringing it home, a rear camera because I have two sets of gates to get through that are 12 feet wide and I live on a circular road with a pond in the middle. And the other is an outlet close to where we would park the camper.

Observations, either it was way windier today than it was before or that trailer sway system really freaking works great, lol I will report back when we take it out again. Second, we observed roughly 12 mpg towing, not bad at all IMO, vs 28.6 on the way there, very good for highway mileage. Third, I am not sure the Ascents sway control was doing anything, and lka makes it even harder to keep the whole thing stable even at 50-55 mph. Fourth, tongue weight came in at 400lbs according to the weigh safe hitch for what that's worth. Wdh was fully removed by the dealer when we picked it up as well so I'm sure that made a little difference on the tongue weight. Fifth, the redarc brake controller is superbly seamless, I never noticed anything amiss with braking, even so I gave myself plenty of room for error.

Since we didnt bring it home we couldn't swing by the scales yet either. I am thinking we will outfit it for camping completely then weigh it.

·
Super Moderator
6,823 Posts
Maybe send them an email and ask outright, won't hurt. Maybe float the idea of an aux display unit geared toward towing and offroading.
I have a bad feeling they are emulating an SSM and talking a Subaru specific protocol. But, I will work on finding out.

·
Super Moderator
6,823 Posts
Maybe send them an email and ask outright, won't hurt. Maybe float the idea of an aux display unit geared toward towing and offroading.
I have a bad feeling they are emulating an SSM and talking a Subaru specific protocol. But, I will work on finding out.
Well, I sent them an email, asking for insights.

But, bad news is, I found a few apps that work with older Subies. They all emulate an SSM to get TCM info and wheel spin/power info.

Based on that, I would suspect that ActiveOBD is our only option right now, but, it's not been updated for a while (and the guy who wrote it seems to have disappeared). There are two other apps:
  • One of which isn't in a language I understand, so I can't even tell if it's compatible, or figure out how to set it up.
  • The other app doesn't support our ECUs and refuses to try to do anything with it. I couldn't find a suitable "alias" ECU number to get it to work. It's a pretty old app (emulates SSM v2), so, it probably wouldn't get back anything we could count on.
Because it's based on an earlier SSM, it can't read everything it should from our various computers (ECM, BCM, TCM, etc), so, some of the readings, like power to each wheel, are missing.

But, the CVT temps seem in line with a TR690 that's radiator cooled, but not heated, so, there's that. If I could ever get my hands on the protocol, or on the equipment to monitor it, that'd be great... I could probably write something.

So, I am kinda leaning towards any app that tries to read it via ELM327 protocol is reading the wrong values. But, I will keep digging.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Would a dealer tech be able to find the pid via ssm or would that be useless information for these purposes?

·
Super Moderator
6,823 Posts
A few responses from COBB. They say to definitely NOT use an AccessPort for a WRX, as the displayed data will likely be incorrect.

As for an Ascent AccessPort, they are "still very early in the investigation phase with the Ascent to know what trim levels and monitors are to be supported for the Ascent."

As for how they do it, they avoided that question, which is what I expected..

·
Super Moderator
6,823 Posts
So, from my testing, ActiveODB seems to be the one that is accurate. It is definitely spot-on when it comes to temperatures on all the other sensors that I can compare to the readings from the car. I suspect that it is the best that we have for now.

The CVT temperatures that it displays seem to be within the range of the operational test temperatures outlined in our service manual.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
On our trip camping last weekend I was able to monitor engine oil temps, I did notice a slight climb when going over 65 compared to 55 of about 5-10 degrees for a max around 237, I know this is normal range especially for synthetic oil. That slower speed really helped keep oil temps in check, especially when hitting inclines, on ramps, and toll booths.

That said the Ascent pulled beautifully and the Sway Command system on the trailer made a huge difference once we were on the highway. Otherwise the towing is almost effortless even on 2 lane back-roads. Even with the cvt their is plenty of power to be had for the size of the Ascent. I did notice on backing the trailer into our yard reverse seemed to require more throttle input, but that could be a few different things at play, makes me want to see those cvt temps even more just for reassurance.

·
Super Moderator
6,823 Posts
UPDATE:

I finally got a response back from the ActiveODB author, and, he's informed me he'll work on Ascent support and reintegration for Torque. Some features may be lost though.

Also, he entirely skipped over my question about accuracy of the Ascent readings using the current version, which I don't blame him for skipping, since he'd need to test first.

I will keep everyone posted, as well as offer to test for him.

Hi Robert,

indeed, it's planned to improve the compatibility with new models such as Ascent, however, it is not certain that these improvements would be possible with actual ELM327-compatibility mode of operation. Besides that, the Torque compatibility will be reconsidered to provide only a predefined set of common parameters with no configuration needed within the main project (ActiveOBD for Subaru), not the plug-in (ActiveOBD TQ).

·
Registered
8 Posts

Hi All - I thought I’d add my maiden voyage to this thread. R-pod 178 with my 2019 Ascent Limited. I threw the bikes on the roof for good measure. Rpod dry weight is 2799. Mine is pretty well loaded up with gear but no water in any of the tanks. Loaded weight is 3500 lbs with a tongue weight around 350. I have a power jack on the front but a lightweight fiberglass propane tank to compensate.

It towed wonderfully. Previously towed this with a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe and before that with a 2009 Jeep Wrangler 4-door. The Jeep was terrible (I had almost no gear in it at the time and it could barely get up any hills on the highway. The Santa Fe towed it for 5 years and did fine - until the AWD died. That vehicle could tow 5,000 lbs per the manual, but never felt close to as good at it as the Ascent. The Ascent almost felt like it was designed to pull the R-pod! Yes, gas mileage went down but it did for every other tow vehicle I’ve owned.

I did not use a WDH per instructions here and had no sway whatsoever. Towed straight and easy the whole trip (only about 3 hrs). Plenty of power and the cvt did a great job. This camper is narrower than the big guys so no mirrors were needed. I did turn off the blind spot alert just in case and obviously turned off backup alert and rear braking when hooking up. Used the factory installed hitch kit and factory supplied 6” drop. I also loved the ability to turn on the rear camera while moving using the programming settings to have a look at the connection.

I’m a happy camper!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had not run across the inTech Sol Horizon durning my trailer research, nor have I ever seen one, but I can say, because it has some very similar dimensions and weights to my Coachmen Apex Nano 187RB, that is should pair very nicely with the Ascent for towing. I have several posts in this forum about our 187RB. The most recent one might yield the most information for you, if you are considering towing this size trailer.

·
Super Moderator
6,823 Posts
Thank you all for the content on towing with the Ascent, very helpful and much appreciated!

I haven't seen any discussion about inTech's Sol Horizon. Has anyone had any experience with the Sol and or come to any solid conclusions on inTech's line-up when doing research for pairing with the Ascent?
It's gorgeous, and I've added it to the list of ones I am considering. Not the most space for the weight, but the comfy layout may make up for it for my personal needs.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,742 Posts
Some trailer brands are "more regionally" focused so it's almost normal that one might not have seen some units/brands, depending on geography. (It's the same in the horse trailer world, too)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have several posts in this forum about our 187RB. The most recent one might yield the most information for you, if you are considering towing this size trailer.
Thanks, I have that post bookmarked!

InTech doesn’t seem to have as much online content/real-world reviews compared to other brands. I will have to take a drive and check one out in person.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Since our last trip out I have discovered a massive oops on my part, this was actually just plain ignorance and a weathered control box on the sway command system. But anyway, apparently the Sway command is anti-sway and brake controller in one...so hooked up it is doing all the work for the braking and sway.

So now I am wondering what the ascent and Redarc have been doing all this time, apparently not a thing. Well we are going on a weekend trip tomorrow so I am going to bypass the system and see what is what. If it does better than that way, we could certainly do without the extra in cab controller and all that wiring on the tonque. I will report back next week as to how it went.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
We got back from our weekend trip early this afternoon, we didnt take the nicest route out or back, the roads are terribly old and only partially repaved and poorly done. So it was a bit rougher than we would have liked for towing, but the ever present vehicle wash was still there, nothing to be done about that I suppose. Otherwise I feel like the redarc provides more control over the braking and brake gain over the Tekonsha Prodigy RF, even with boost turned up. The braking with the prodigy was seamless and good enough, but I do like seeing the controller working and being able to adjust it quickly. Otherwise, everything else was great, the rearview camera is still working and only cut out when I was backing the trailer into my yard. Coincidentally, when I could use it most, lol.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
I forgot to add, we encountered not one, but two Ascents pulling identical Jayco hummingbird travel trailers. I only got a short word with one of them, they are pulling around 3800 lbs with their single axle setup and premium trim Ascent.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'll be going with the same numbers for the Ascent, likely - I'll find a trailer with a GVWR that is about 80 - 85% of the capacity of the Ascent, so not more than 4200 lbs or so.
My loaded Winnebago comes in a round 4200 lbs and the Ascent pulls it beautifully.

We got back from our weekend trip early this afternoon, we didnt take the nicest route out or back, the roads are terribly old and only partially repaved and poorly done. So it was a bit rougher than we would have liked for towing, but the ever present vehicle wash was still there, nothing to be done about that I suppose. Otherwise I feel like the redarc provides more control over the braking and brake gain over the Tekonsha Prodigy RF, even with boost turned up. The braking with the prodigy was seamless and good enough, but I do like seeing the controller working and being able to adjust it quickly. Otherwise, everything else was great, the rearview camera is still working and only cut out when I was backing the trailer into my yard. Coincidentally, when I could use it most, lol.
Glad to see another positive review on the RedArc. I love the instant adjustability that the RedArc offers. Glad to see you disabled the other box on the tongue. It poses an interesting question of “what if” in regards to multiple things trying to do one.

121 - 140 of 148 Posts