Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m curious to know what others are paying to insure their travel trailers. I currently have Liberty Mutual and am in process of buying a trailer (21ft Coachmen Apex Nano) that I will tow with my Ascent. I believe my policy covers my liability pulling the trailer but doesn’t cover any comprehensive or damage to the trailer itself. Thanks from Ohio.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,852 Posts
Liability is usually covered by the tow vehicle's insurance, but as with all things insurance, exact provisions are state specific as far as what is mandated. For physical damage, some carriers have an add-on rider; some require a separate policy and some don't offer insurance for trailers. I've never owned a travel trailer, but I did insure my horse trailer when I owned it...and it was dirt cheap. Something like $50-60 a year or less for $5K of coverage for reference. They called it a utility/RV trailer since there was no official coverage for a "horse" trailer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I spoke with my agent this morning, he figures about $170 for entire year with full liability, comprehensive and contents for the value of the trailer. I’m sure I can get it a little lower to if I make deductibles higher.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,111 Posts
I spoke with my agent this morning, he figures about $170 for entire year with full liability, comprehensive and contents for the value of the trailer. I’m sure I can get it a little lower to if I make deductibles higher.
Does that Comprehensive include fire? A couple of weeks ago, someone towing a 5th wheel with an F350 a couple of blocks from here lost his entire rig due to a fire. No idea what the cause was but the fire started in the 5th wheel and spread to the truck before he could detach.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Does that Comprehensive include fire? A couple of weeks ago, someone towing a 5th wheel with an F350 a couple of blocks from here lost his entire rig due to a fire. No idea what the cause was but the fire started in the 5th wheel and spread to the truck before he could detach.
Comprehensive usually includes theft, vandalism, glass damage, fire, accidents with animals, weather/acts of nature, etc. (Info from Progressive).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts