Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,

Recently picked up a 2020 Subaru Ascent Premium and traded in my old Legacy. I went ahead and installed an ECO type hitch to my Ascent and torqued down (using torque wrench).

In the process of selecting a travel trailer and found the perfect one for our needs and price point. The dry weight is what concerns me, we plan to make some long-haul vacations, but planning to stay stationary at a camp site with hookups.

The total Dry weight is 4323 (rated on yellow tag with pull propane tanks and fuel in generator) pounds with two axle trailer, with 470 pound tongue weight. I know the Ascent is rated for 500 pound tongue, but the hitch tongue is rated for 700 pounds (Class III hitch).

Largely planning to travel light 200 pounds combined gross with our food and clothes stowed in RV. Planning to run either a half (on long haul trip) or empty water tank (camp site near by).

My concerns is the overall weight requirement. I have made some trip in the past exceeding weight / tow capacity when moving, and I have hauled vehicles for 3000+ miles.

If I the overall weight is 4500 pounds fully loaded is 500 lbs. wiggle room enough?

Also, another question I have is regarding electronics.

I towed a trailer and did not hookup lights, but now since I need a brake controller and harness for 7 pin. I have found the harness plug in the rear cargo area along with the adapter by the drivers seat.

Essentially do I just buy the harness for the rear connector and then the harness for the front and I should have the electronic breaking control, along the lights and such correct.

These are the items below I purchased.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-118290.html -
Tekonsha OEM Replacement Vehicle Wiring Harness

- Since I have the wiring preinstalled do I need to setup a direct connection to my battery terminal? Also, without the 12v black cable attached will the Trailer still charge its batteries?

https://www.etrailer.com/multi-prod...5732&HHYear=2020&HHMake=Subaru&HHModel=Ascent - Brake controller with harness.

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you click this link

you will find a listing of tandem axle travel trailers being pulled by Ascent owners on this forum.

If you click on the user name, it will take you to their post here on this forum and then you can send them a PM and see what they think.

I'm sure many members will comment on your trailer choice for the Ascent, as everyone has an opinion.

You might also want to read this thread here on the forum.

My opinion, and I make no pretense at being an expert, is that your choice is too heavy for the Ascent, but I am super conservative.

I hope some of the information you receive can be of help to you.

Ken

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
I have some bad news...

That hitch is absolutely ONLY rated at 500 pound tongue load. The 700 pound figure is marketing nonsense. Page 2 of the installation instructions will tell you that the vehicle limits determine hitch limits, and you must adhere to the vehicle ratings (which are 5,000/500). I am really annoyed with "Eco" for advertising that irrelevant figure. That's already cost a number of people a bunch of money.

Also, it absolutely does not enable the ability to use a weight distributing hitch, so, ignore that nonsense statement of theirs too.

Regardless, I would not tow that much weight using anything but the OEM hitch that bolts into the vehicle frame rails (and nowhere else).

Additionally, it's illegal to exceed the vehicle ratings, no matter what hitch you use, so, if you can't keep it in Subaru's weight specs, I wouldn't tow it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. 😔

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The trailer is just too heavy. Many of us have been in this situation including me. You find a trailer you really like, but the weight specs simply don't work for the Ascent.

However, there are many great trailers that will work. Aim for a UVW of around 3800 lbs and a dry tongue weight of around 380 lbs. Look at these for example.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies and information. Yes, going to return the “eco” and get the OEM it’s only 10 dollars more.

The travel trailer I backed out and put a deposit down on a different one.

tongue weight : 446lbs

dry weight: 3259 lbs.

Hopefully this is much more easier on the ascent for towing

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ours is around 4000 lbs and 380 tongue and that's already a bit heavy IMO especially for longer vacations. Local stuff is ok for us but we're already looking at something a bit more capable for longer hauls.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts