Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I be driving this car to the dealership for inspection or do they need to tow it in to the dealership?

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Personally, I would TOW it to the dealership. The car engine hasn't even gotten to temperature yet, and the CVT is showing a temperature issue.
At the absolute least, I'd call the dealership.
  • Does the light go off with the car sitting?
    If so, were you towing with it when this happened?

• Is it a Base model, or is it Premium/Limited/Touring?
    If a Base model, what's the outside temp, and driving conditions when it happened? (eg: towing?)

• Did you let a non-dealer change the oil?
    If so, do not drive the car and do not turn it on. Have it towed to a dealership. Let them know you had someone else change the oil, and there's the suspicion they drained the CVT fluid. Also, it is IMPERATIVE that the CVT is not filled with anything except the special CVT fluid that only the Ascent and Outback XT uses.

• Is there a dent, leak or hole in the CVT pan?
    If so, do not drive the car and do not turn it on. Have it towed to a dealership. It's likely an impact drained some of the fluid.

• Is there a dent, leak or hole in the CVT cooler radiator?
    If so, do not drive the car and do not turn it on. Have it towed to a dealership. It's likely an impact drained some of the fluid. The radiator (all trims except Base) is on the driver's side, in front of the rest of the car's radiators.
Good luck, and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it was parked nothing is hot, no leaks, always serviced at the dealership, Limited edition, cold outside. So I called the Subaru dealership and they said you can drive or have it towed, it's my choice, then I told them all the warning lights come on the transmission is just one of them, and they said have it towed in. I called road side assistance and they dispatched a tow truck, update to follow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dealer looked at the car and determined the eye site system was malfunctioning causing all the warning lights to light up. He said due to slight damage to the back bumper it might require the a new harness to be installed and could cost up to $1800. So it is not the CVT transmission.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
The issues "associated" with the CVT that you may have read about were actually due to the harness. If the problem persisted long enough sometimes it subsequently damaged the CVT.

The harness replacement alone has done the trick for most owners.

Curious about your recounting of the service advisor's description. The service advisor stated due to the rear bumper damage the harness will be replaced. Will this be under warranty or will they be charging you the $1800.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry should have been clearer, the harness he was referring to is the harness from the rear sensor that is part of the eye site system and not the harness related to the transmission. He said what ever impacted the rear bumper may have damage the harness located in the rear bumper and they may need to be replace the entire wiring harness from the bumper to where ever it goes. This he said, would require the removal of the floor mats in the car to access the old wire run and install a new one.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear about that Ray Jim. Do you think the rear damage to the back bumper was caused by a hit and run or something else?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More than likely while it was parked, it looks like nothing more than a scuff mark, there's no dent, its
hard to believe it took out the entire eye site system.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,880 Posts
More than likely while it was parked, it looks like nothing more than a scuff mark, there's no dent, its
hard to believe it took out the entire eye site system.
I don't disagree, but there's no way to know just how the "blow" was absorbed and how hard it actually was given flexible bumper materials. Maybe "they" hit just the right spot... It's a bummer for sure.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
I'd contact your insurance company to see if they can help, but also make sure you check to see what impact a claim would have on your rates.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,880 Posts
I'd contact your insurance company to see if they can help, but also make sure you check to see what impact a claim would have on your rates.
I agree to see if Comprehensive coverage will, um...cover...this without significant impact. Some carriers are more flexible than others. My insurance through AAA is pretty forgiving for this kind of thing unless there's a repeat pattern.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Dealer looked at the car and determined the eye site system was malfunctioning causing all the warning lights to light up. He said due to slight damage to the back bumper it might require the a new harness to be installed and could cost up to $1800. So it is not the CVT transmission.
So that explains the three eyesight-related warnings:
  • Lane Departure Warning OFF indicator light
  • Pre-Collision Braking System OFF Indicator light
  • Center display exclamation point triangle "Transmission" Warning

But what about the "AT OIL TEMP" light? As Robert pointed out, the engine hadn't even warmed up yet and yet the CVT was hot enough to warn? How is that related to a damaged wiring harness in the rear of the vehicle?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think the dealer is pulling a fast one on you saying the damage to the rear-end caused this. I had the same exact issue with my car and was caused by the transmission wiring harness. When the AT temp or any other check light comes on it disables eye sight.

My dealer said it’s a known issue and they keep the harness in stock. It’s a major job since they have to lower the transmission to get to the connection at the top.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts