Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately my 2019 Ascent’s transmission has been stuttering when it shifts after a complete stop. I’m pretty sure it didn’t do this before one the proactive TCM reprogram(recall?) that was supposed to address that very symptom that it did not have previously.

if I come to a full stop, and then accelerate up to 4000 RPM and maintain those revs, as soon as it shifts, the transmission seems to hesitate/stutter for a full second before it picks up the next “simulated gear”. It does feel like there is loss of power for a fraction of a second, and it may also happen at lower RPMs (2500 ~ 3000 RPM) but not as often. Inclined roads seem to make it happen more often than not.It only seems to happen on a particular “gear”, all others seem to shift fine. I started noticing this every time I would pull out of a parking lot on to a mayor road. Maybe it has something to do with the sudden acceleration?

I took it to the dealership but they were unable to reproduce the issue so now I am trying to ensure I have consistent reproducible steps for my next appointment. Has anybody had a similar issue and any luck with getting it fixed?

·
Registered
2019 Limited>>2022 Limited
35 Posts
Mine shuddered maybe once a month, uphill usually, 35-45mph, right around 2000rpm. After they did the reprogramming, it was doing it every trip, sometimes twice. Magically, it went back to about twice a month here recently.🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,285 Posts
Ours doesn't do it at heavier throttle like that, but it will stutter or flutter variously at slower speeds. I get one about half the time in the 25-30 mph range as I'm accelerating moderately. And I more rarely get one in the 35-45 mph with moderate acceleration. I'm open to the notion that these may be intentionally programmed into the transmission to make it feel like "light shifts" as you'd get with a stepped automatic under moderate acceleration. I used to believe that the only simulated shifts were the apparent ones under heavy throttle, but it seems like there may be more. The stutter/flutter ones aren't nearly as repeatable for me. In fact, ours seems like it has "good days" and "bad days". That is, some days are "good" and the CVT doesn't do it at all (and it's just smooth, stepless operation). Other days, it seems like the CVT is much less sure of itself, and it feels like impulses or surges through the system. Again, not very apparent, but I notice them. Maybe they're all very intentional, I don't know. I'd be more okay with it if they were consistent and predictable. But I would describe ours as very unpredictable from that regard.

In general, I'm very happy with the powertrain, and bought the Ascent because it has a CVT. I'm less impressed that Subaru ruined it with these simulated shifts. :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
My CVT was replaced @ 45,000 miles on my 2019 Ascent. My car was shifting with a herky/ jerky felling. When shifting from reverse to drive the car would slam into drive.
week prior I received a letter from SOA stating the CVT would be covered for 100,000 miles. I had a bad experience with the PCV valve again before the recall letter went out. You may want to have your car checked out anyways by the dealership to see if your CVT is going bad.
good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Took my 2019 Ascent in today with a light throttle shutter between 40 and 60 mph. I had all prior recalls done. My shutter has gotten worse over the last 2 months. I have 35,000 miles on it. The said the chain was slipping and the transmission will be replaced now.

FYI don't wait to take it in. Its something dealerships are looking for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took it in for a second time and this time the tech was able to reproduce the stutter. Looks like I’ll be getting a new transmission. Hopefully the next transmission won’t have any issues. On another note, the lane centering feature on the 2021 ascent loaner the gave me is sweet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2019 Ascent premium noticed the stuttering on 22nd december decided to take it to the dealership after christmas. Christmas eve pulling out to the highway transmission module message comes with check engine light and RAB disabled. Pulled off the highway and checked code P0700. WUV update handled in January, June 2020 P0962 error code detected - valve body and transmission harness replaced, dealership originally said transmission would be replaced. Nightmare 2020 with Ascent continues, getting ready for a tow to the dealership on Monday, Christmas ruined.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2019 Ascent premium noticed the stuttering on 22nd december decided to take it to the dealership after christmas. Christmas eve pulling out to the highway transmission module message comes with check engine light and RAB disabled. Pulled off the highway and checked code P0700. WUV update handled in January, June 2020 P0962 error code detected - valve body and transmission harness replaced, dealership originally said transmission would be replaced. Nightmare 2020 with Ascent continues, getting ready for a tow to the dealership on Monday, Christmas ruined.
Sorry to hear that, hope the transmission replacement does it for you! Since our transmission was replaced we’ve had no issues, we even drove from PA to FL for Christmas and everything worked perfectly. No stuttering, no fluttering, no weird shifts or power loss.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to hear that, hope the transmission replacement does it for you! Since our transmission was replaced we’ve had no issues, we even drove from PA to FL for Christmas and everything worked perfectly. No stuttering, no fluttering, no weird shifts or power loss.
Got the transmission replaced but in the list of repairs carried out noticed that starter had internal error and hence that was replaced as well, never ending list of problems.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,197 Posts
Got the transmission replaced but in the list of repairs carried out noticed that starter had internal error and hence that was replaced as well, never ending list of problems.
I sometimes wonder if the dealers are "packing" the warranty repair tickets with easy repairs to offset the more time consuming trans replacement. The dealers are reimbursed "book" hours for warranty and the rate is lower than they charge customers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts