Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 Ascent Limited, built in June 2018. At 22K miles now needs a new transmission. While I appreciate the warranty for these purposes, I am concerned about the resale value of my Ascent now that it has a replacement transmission on its service record. Obviously, I hope to never have another transmission problem with my vehicle, but I'm not sure if Subaru has fixed the ongoing issues with the CVT in the 2019 Ascent, and I have lost some confidence. Because of this, I'm considering selling my Ascent for a vehicle from a different manufacturer. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Does a replacement transmission lower the resale value?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had a transmission replaced on a Honda Odyssey (by the dealer) and it didn't show up on the CarFax when I traded it in for another vehicle. There was only a service record for a transmission inspection, go figure.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Why? As long as it was replaced with a new factory transmission by the dealer. If I were looking for a used car and someone told me it had a brand new transmission or engine I would think that favorable over one with all the original miles on it.

Your Ascent will now have a transmission with 22,000 miles less on it than shown on the odometer.

Factory parts installed professionally help renew the value of a car. Most people brag about a used car having new parts when selling one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a transmission replaced on a Honda Odyssey (by the dealer) and it didn't show up on the CarFax when I traded it in for another vehicle. There was only a service record for a transmission inspection, go figure.
A question out of sheer ignorance, would a transmission replacement by a dealer typically go on a Carfax report? I honestly have no idea...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why? As long as it was replaced with a new factory transmission by the dealer. If I were looking for a used car and someone told me it had a brand new transmission or engine I would think that favorable over having one with all the original miles on it.
A valid line of thinking, but maybe not a mainstream one. While I recognize the pool may be very small, I was wondering if anyone had experience in selling their Ascent after having the transmission replaced, and if it affected their resale value?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
A valid line of thinking, but maybe not a mainstream one. While I recognize the pool may be very small, I was wondering if anyone had experience in selling their Ascent after having the transmission replaced, and if it affected their resale value?
Not mainstream? I've never heard of anyone complaining about a car having newer parts when buying a used car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2019 Ascent Limited, built in June 2018. At 22K miles now needs a new transmission. While I appreciate the warranty for these purposes, I am concerned about the resale value of my Ascent now that it has a replacement transmission on its service record. Obviously, I hope to never have another transmission problem with my vehicle, but I'm not sure if Subaru has fixed the ongoing issues with the CVT in the 2019 Ascent, and I have lost some confidence. Because of this, I'm considering selling my Ascent for a vehicle from a different manufacturer. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Does a replacement transmission lower the resale value?
We are currently working with our dealer and SOA to come up with the with the best plan. So far it’s going smoothly. Although we’re looking to get another Subaru. Just not an Ascent. Ours has 25k miles

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We are currently working with our dealer and SOA to come up with the with the best plan. So far it’s going smoothly. Although we’re looking to get another Subaru. Just not an Ascent. Ours has 25k miles
Thanks, BMaserX. So your transmission had to be replaced as well? How has SOA responded to your concerns about a reduced value and loss of confidence in the Ascent? I may reach out to them.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I did a bit of research (consumer advocates, auto repair shops, auto repair consultants) on possible dimished value bacuse of a replaced transmission on this new vehicle and have determined that no re-sale value would be lost.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, BMaserX. So your transmission had to be replaced as well? How has SOA responded to your concerns about a reduced value and loss of confidence in the Ascent? I may
Thanks, BMaserX. So your transmission had to be replaced as well? How has SOA responded to your concerns about a reduced value and loss of confidence in the Ascent? I may reach out to them.
No deminshed value bc of the transmission. However they are addressing our issues it seems. This is our main family vehicle and I hoped we would not run into this issue. But here we are. We are looking into getting into another Outback. I LOVED my Outback. I’ve wanted to love the Ascent but I swear every reason we bought it has fallen through on top of the transmission issue being very scary. I’m hoping the car gods are in our favor to be able to move on. We love Subaru. I’m sure they will figure out things soon enough. I just want to start over. Oh and as far as we know... If we do keep the Ascent, we won’t be getting it back until sometime in 2020.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thabk
I did a bit of research (consumer advocates, auto repair shops, auto repair consultants) on possible dimished value bacuse of a replaced transmission on this new vehicle and have determined that no re-sale value would be lost.
[/Q
No deminshed value bc of the transmission. However they are addressing our issues it seems. This is our main family vehicle and I hoped we would not run into this issue. But here we are. We are looking into getting into another Outback. I LOVED my Outback. I’ve wanted to love the Ascent but I swear every reason we bought it has fallen through on top of the transmission issue being very scary. I’m hoping the car gods are in our favor to be able to move on. We love Subaru. I’m sure they will figure out things soon enough. I just want to start over. Oh and as far as we know... If we do keep the Ascent, we won’t be getting it back until sometime in 2020.
WOW! They are quoting sometime in 2020 just to replace the transmission? My dealership told me the transmission was on backorder, but they ABSOLUTELY didn’t prepare me for a timeline that far out!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Until recently, Mr and Mrs Garris usually purchased cars about a year old, always CPO.

As a buyer, I would be concerned about buying a late model car that was traded in with a major repair done (assuming it shows up on the records). To me, that would say that issue may have just been the tip of the iceberg to many other issues, and that the previous owner decided to dump the car because of that. I don't want to purchase someone else's problems, I've got enough problems of my own to worry about!!
If you keep your cars a long time I don't think it will matter. If you dump them every couple of years it might be worthwhile to get rid of it now. A car is a depreciating asset anyway, so you're kind of hosed either way.

When the Garris family decided to get something a little bit less mainstream last month, we decided to purchase new ( we were looking at Jaguar, Alfa, and Maserati, and didn't want to roll the dice on getting a late model used car that had lots of issues). We did that with the Ascent also. Hopefully no more car purchases, new or used, for a few years now.
Good luck with whatever you decide. Unfortunately there's no net positive outcome financially, regardless of what you do.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I had a 2011 Forester with an oil burning problem at 50,000. Subaru installed a new motor under warranty. The day I picked it up, I walked over to the show room and traded it in on a brand new Forester. The dealer knew it was a fresh new motor with zero hours on it and gave me $1,000 over what I thought I could have even sold it for. I was impressed! And they didn't jack up the new car's price to make it up either. I just traded in that 2015 with 85,000 miles for this 2020 Ascent. They didn't give me anywhere near what Kelley blue book said it was worth on a trade in, let alone what private party price would get.
So, I'd say a new major drive train component replacement is value added to a used car's price, not a detriment.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Until recently, Mr and Mrs Garris usually purchased cars about a year old, always CPO.

As a buyer, I would be concerned about buying a late model car that was traded in with a major repair done (assuming it shows up on the records). To me, that would say that issue may have just been the tip of the iceberg to many other issues, and that the previous owner decided to dump the car because of that. I don't want to purchase someone else's problems, I've got enough problems of my own to worry about!!
If you keep your cars a long time I don't think it will matter. If you dump them every couple of years it might be worthwhile to get rid of it now. A car is a depreciating asset anyway, so you're kind of hosed either way.

When the Garris family decided to get something a little bit less mainstream last month, we decided to purchase new ( we were looking at Jaguar, Alfa, and Maserati, and didn't want to roll the dice on getting a late model used car that had lots of issues). We did that with the Ascent also. Hopefully no more car purchases, new or used, for a few years now.
Good luck with whatever you decide. Unfortunately there's no net positive outcome financially, regardless of what you do.
A public adjuster would suggest that it by itself wouldn't impact resale. This assumes that the dealer did the warranty repair. Particularly if the entire transmission was replaced with a new one. There is no iceberg, so a public adjuster would tell you diminished value is not an issue
There will always be individual buyers who think otherwise but across the market thete is no issue.

·
Registered
731 Posts
In the big picture, most dealers don’t give a crap what has or hasn’t been done to a vehicle, they’ll lowball most trade-ins just the same. Heavy modifications, unfixed issues, worn items and collisions on record are what they’ll ding you on

·
Registered
646 Posts
If you get a 20 Outback XT version it has the same engine/trans combo as the Ascent unless you opt for the 2.5 trim. No issues on the Outback forums with the transmissions yet.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I definitely don't disagree that it may not impact the trade in /resale value of the car, but it would be a red flag to me, I would not personally purchase a one-year-old used car that had a major component like an engine or transmission replaced.
But we've recently decided to purchase only new cars now, because we wanted to get exactly the options we wanted on our vehicles.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I definitely don't disagree that it may not impact the trade in /resale value of the car, but it would be a red flag to me, I would not personally purchase a one-year-old used car that had a major component like an engine or transmission replaced.
But we've recently decided to purchase only new cars now, because we wanted to get exactly the options we wanted on our vehicles.
Praise the free market.

·
Registered
646 Posts
It's the perception people have when buying that car that had the engine replaced that I think the dealer could struggle with

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
It's the perception people have when buying that car that had the engine replaced that I think the dealer could struggle with
All I can say is that dealers, insurance agents, auto mechanics, consumer advocates, public adjusters that I have spoken to indicate that there is not diminished value. If an individual buyer has qualms than so be it. That is their reality and they will not make an offer on the vehicle. It would be very different of course if the same vehicle could not be fixed after multiple attempts (this is different than legitimately chasing the issue, such as valve body, harness and or then maybe entire transmission). Also if the many of the newer vehicles in 2020 showed the same symptom and also could not be fixed. As of now I have only read that all have been fixed after presenting themselves to the dealer or are in process. The 2020 transmission or harness issues are far and few between (many percentages less than the already small percentage for 2019).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.