Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a squeak when placed from Park into D or Reverse. They "relearned' the transmission on the first visit but that didn't fix the issue. On the 2nd vision, Subaru authorized a transmission replacement so I have a brand new transmission now.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Pretty sure the squeek noise from Park to Reverse/Drive is normal for our Ascents. You may have preemptively replaced a perfectly good transmission.

Thread discussion the noise.
SOA decided to replace the transimission no the owner which they do not do lightly. They must know something to have pulled that trigger.

·
Registered
22 Posts
it

It's definitely not normal and I'd rather it gets fixed now then after the warranty is expired.
Absolutely agree. Question - did replacing the transmission eliminate the 'chirp'? My 2020 Ascent makes the same noise. The chirp is more noticeable when cold, but still audible even when warmed up to operating temperatures.

·
Administrator
8,802 Posts
SOA decided to replace the transimission no the owner which they do not do lightly. They must know something to have pulled that trigger.
Correct. It stores codes for certain things, which could have prompted it. For instance, the codes it's supposed to store for pressure/chain issues hitting a certain tolerance/level (but not yet causing issues), based on the TCM code revisions we got during the TSB.

BUT... it's also possible the dealer mistook the shift chirp for chain screech. That literally does happen, and costs Subaru thousands of dollars to replace CVTs that have nothing wrong with it. On the other hand, if the dealer solely tells Subaru the CVT is chirping when doing the Park-R-D shift, they'll respond back as they have for the last decade.

For instance, as another real world example:
Remember the head unit "lost presets" issue, where I repeatedly posted it was a software issue that was not resolvable by replacing the head unit? Knowing the bug (and submitting what I learned to SoA and HK) also allowed me to post the very workaround in this forum that got so many people's radios working more stably (regarding presets memory)... yet, numerous dealers installed new head units that cost a solid four figures, that ran the same software.

Now, most of us have the update (everyone should be now, but some very few people haven't updated), and none of us who've updated have the problem. But, there's sooooooo many wasted head units. 😞

It happens. SoA will approve replacements of just about anything, if the dealer reports it justified, due to a known cause - even if the dealer mistakes the cause.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, issue is gone, shifting is not clunky anymore, and appears to have better power band when on the road too, pick up is more responsive.

·
Administrator
8,802 Posts
Yes, new CVT has new programming that's smoother. And, the clunking feel you experienced could have been the issue they detected, or that a code was stored for. But, I'd wait 5K or 10K miles or so before announcing that the shift chirp is gone. CVT has just started learning and hasn't been broken in. It's also possible the new valves have been programmed to "freeze" in the pressurized state, to eliminate the shift chirp.

Please remember, your 1,000 mile break-in has just started all over again. That's very important for both CVT and front differential - both of which are brand new.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
484 Posts
That literally does happen, and costs Subaru thousands of dollars to replace CVTs that have nothing wrong with it.
yet, numerous dealers installed new head units that cost a solid four figures, that ran the same software.
With electronics such as the head unit I would believe that Subaru grants themselves the option of refurbing the replaced units and using them as replacements for their extended warranties. Coming from the tech world, only truly out of date/out of spec/unrepairable parts get tossed. Especially when they're as expensive as the head unit.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
529 Posts
With electronics such as the head unit I would believe that Subaru grants themselves the option of refurbing the replaced units and using them as replacements for their extended warranties. Coming from the tech world, only truly out of date/out of spec/unrepairable parts get tossed. Especially when they're as expensive as the head unit.
I do think most warranty fine print does say that the manufacturer has the option of using new or remanufactured parts when performing warranty work. You're right that this is often the case with electronics, including "hard parts" like alternators and starters.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts