Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't bought an Ascent yet but I am a subie driver and although I love their CVT's I do have a question about them. My 2015 Impreza and 2016 Forester both have CVT's and when put it into reverse the transmission responds by going quickly into reverse gear. However it's not the same when going into drive? When I go to drive from park or from neutral it takes some time before the transmission goes into gear. This is normal for my Impreza and Forester and was wondering is it's the same on the Ascents? Thanks

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have not experienced this. I know it takes a few moments for the transmission pump to get the hydraulics up to pressure. I usually start the car and then put on my seat belt, hook up my phone to apple play, let Waze know where I am going and then put it in gear. So I might wait too long to experience what you are talking about. My slight delay also lets engine oil get circulated about the engine.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
831 Posts
On a cold start, I usually let the engine run for maybe 10 seconds before backing out of the garage. Shifting into Drive after that seems to take about the same as any other automatic transmission I've had, pretty quick and usually accompanied by the usual CVT chirp.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This happens when the car is fully warmed up and sitting at a long street light I will put it into neutral while waiting. But if it turns green and I shift it into drive it takes like 3-4 seconds before it gets into gear. At which point people behind me are honking! I've owned hundreds of cars... was a car wholesaler in my early days and I've never seen such a long delay getting into drive except these subie's w/cvt's. Hence the question

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
My 2015 Impreza and 2016 Forester both have CVT's and when put it into reverse the transmission responds by going quickly into reverse gear. However it's not the same when going into drive? When I go to drive from park or from neutral it takes some time before the transmission goes into gear. This is normal for my Impreza and Forester and was wondering is it's the same on the Ascents?

The Impreza and NA Forester use a TR580 CVT, while the Ascent uses the TR690 CVT. They're vastly different when it comes to drive direction (and changing it).
  • Forward/Reverse gearing is done after the pulleys on the TR690, and, thus it behaves differently than the TR580, where the forward/reverse gearing is before the pulleys.
  • The TR690 always spins the pulley cones and chain. The TR580 only spins it in gear. They do not spin in park or neutral.
With those factors in mind, the TR580 must stop the pulley cones and chain, and reverse their direction whenever the car is shifted from Drive to Reverse or vice versa. The TR690 instead simply changes the planetary drive gear after the pulleys, and never ever stops the chain and pulleys from spinning.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
289 Posts
This happens when the car is fully warmed up and sitting at a long street light I will put it into neutral while waiting. But if it turns green and I shift it into drive it takes like 3-4 seconds before it gets into gear. At which point people behind me are honking! I've owned hundreds of cars... was a car wholesaler in my early days and I've never seen such a long delay getting into drive except these subie's w/cvt's. Hence the question
3 to 4 seconds?? That's an eternity, the normal is a fraction of a second. If that's true you should have it checked. I'd be certainly honking if you take 4 seconds to start on a green light.
Also, switching to neutral at a red light is not really necessary. Gas savings are almost negligible, there's no other consequence to leaving it in drive besides the torque converter transmitting a small amount of torque.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the explanation Robert. Now I understand why it does this. NotAClunker this is normal on the Forester and Impreza even on brand new ones that were loaners from my Subaru dealer. Those who drive them will acknowledge this immediately. Yes it is most irritating! I'm so glad this doesn't occur on the Ascent.

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
3 to 4 seconds?? That's an eternity, the normal is a fraction of a second. If that's true you should have it checked. I'd be certainly honking if you take 4 seconds to start on a green light.
Also, switching to neutral at a red light is not really necessary. Gas savings are almost negligible, there's no other consequence to leaving it in drive besides the torque converter transmitting a small amount of torque.
The amount of time it took to switch from non spinning chain to spinning chain varied with different model year TR580s due to programming.

I think at one time, the delay was more conservative to allow chain spin up.

Anyways, because of how the TR580 works, I too wouldn't shift it in and out of gear at every light. The tiny infinitesimal savings in gas aren't worth it, and I cannot think of any other benefits.

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
Thank you for the explanation Robert. Now I understand why it does this. NotAClunker this is normal on the Forester and Impreza even on brand new ones that were loaners from my Subaru dealer. Those who drive them will acknowledge this immediately. Yes it is most irritating! I'm so glad this doesn't occur on the Ascent.
Any time.

@SA2020 posted this great vid in another thread that shows what I tried explaining.

"Current CVT" refers to the TR690 such as the ones in our Ascents. "New CVT" refers to the lower torque TR580 used in the non turbo 4 cylinder Subies since around 2012ish. ALL high torque CVT applications have always been the TR690, since its debut in 2009.

So, "Current CVT" would be ours. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts