Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I smell Lemon when it comes to my Ascent. Picked up March 2019 with 4 miles. First issue faulty tire. Second issue was wifi hotspot would not engage. Third issue new brake pads in front... Now my car is in the shop for a brand new transmission. Car has 6600 miles total. What else should I expect to go wrong? I am almost afraid to drive the car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sometimes I smell Lemon when it comes to my Ascent. Picked up March 2019 with 4 miles. First issue faulty tire. Second issue was wifi hotspot would not engage. Third issue new brake pads in front... Now my car is in the shop for a brand new transmission. Car has 6600 miles total. What else should I expect to go wrong? I am almost afraid to drive the car.
You're not alone. Just dropped mine off yesterday to have the CVT replaced. Mine was squealing and slipping like crazy. I believe I will need my brakes turned before too long as well. Mine has just over 21K on the odometer. It seems the CVT, front struts, and brakes are the high fail items. The CVTs seem to be related to a particular build range, but yours is outside that build range, so I would use the following link to add your vehicle to the list of bad transmissions.

Transmission Problems Reporting, this is also found in this thread List Your Transmission Problems

·
Registered
901 Posts
You're not alone. Just dropped mine off yesterday to have the CVT replaced. Mine was squealing and slipping like crazy. I believe I will need my brakes turned before too long as well. Mine has just over 21K on the odometer. It seems the CVT, front struts, and brakes are the high fail items. The CVTs seem to be related to a particular build range, but yours is outside that build range, so I would use the following link to add your vehicle to the list of bad transmissions.

Transmission Problems Reporting, this is also found in this thread List Your Transmission Problems
What was the reason the wifi didn"t connect? Tire defect has nothing to do with Subaru quality, other than the bottom line warranty.

·
Registered
213 Posts
@rgfleischman - A tire failure, a wifi connection issue and replacing brake pads, while annoying, say nothing about the current or future reliability, drivability or safety of the vehicle. As for the transmission, an unfortunate & known issue, but one that seems to get taken care of fairly quickly when it arises. Respectfully, to say that you "smell lemon", and are "almost afraid to drive the car" is just hyperbolic, way out of proportion, simply ridiculous and says far more about you than your Ascent. Additionally, you wrote, "What else should I expect to go wrong?". Gosh, could be anything at all, or everything... If I were you, I wouldn't wait a moment longer. You should definitely sell your vehicle. Sell it now, before its too late! (sarcasm).:rolleyes:

·
Registered
196 Posts
@rgfleischman - A tire failure, a wifi connection issue and replacing brake pads, while annoying, say nothing about the current or future reliability, drivability or safety of the vehicle. As for the transmission, an unfortunate known issue mostly limited to a specific build period (and its corresponding batch of transmissions and/or transmission harnesses). Respectfully, to say that you "smell lemon", and are "almost afraid to drive the car" is just hyperbolic, way out of proportion, simply ridiculous and says far more about you than your Ascent. Additionally, you wrote, "What else should I expect to go wrong?". Gosh, could be anything at all, or everything... If I were you, I wouldn't wait a moment longer. You should definitely sell your vehicle. Sell it now, before its too late! (sarcasm).:rolleyes:
To be fair, the OP clearly states that the car in question is outside of the Aug-Nov 2018 build interval.

·
Registered
213 Posts
"To be fair, the OP clearly states that the car in question is outside of the Aug-Nov 2018 build interval."
My post above has been edited to take into consideration your comment. Thank you.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Greetings,
I'm sorry about the troubles. I assume that you've a build date of 3/2019. So is my Limited. Mind sharing some details? Which trim? How many miles? What were the symptoms for the brake and transmission problems (assuming they were something short of catastrophic failure)?

Most of the reported transmissions problems on this forum correspond to the Aug-Nov 2018 build date. However, there are exceptions, and there doesn't seem a clear explanation for why those months should be worse than the others.

It's possible that the later builds (i.e. built in 2019) still have problems that will be increasingly reported as folks put on the miles. I certainly hope not, but it is possible.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Perhaps I could be more clear about my perspective on the transmission problems.

Most of the problems reported SO FAR are from cars built in Aug-Nov 2018. We all presume that something changed to improve the situation, but we don't know exactly what. (Unless I''m missing something, in which case please inform.)

Without an explanation, we don't know whether the change (in whatever- even if just quality control at a sub contractor) ELIMINATED the problem or DELAYED the problem (whether in terms of time or mileage).

·
Registered
622 Posts
Perhaps thats why Subaru has issued a recall because even though most have been August through September it is more wide spread then they thought and perhaps mileage dependent also.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Perhaps thats why Subaru has issued a recall because even though most have been August through September it is more wide spread then they thought and perhaps mileage dependent also.
Can you link the recall please? It's not listed on the NHTSA site. I'd be curious to read what it says and if my VIN is within range. My car has been absolutely fine though through almost 18k miles.

·
Registered
213 Posts
No recall on the Ascent or the Ascents transmission that I am aware of. And I just double checked.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Can you link the recall please? It's not listed on the NHTSA site. I'd be curious to read what it says and if my VIN is within range. My car has been absolutely fine though through almost 18k miles.
Mine was perfect, meaning no slipping transmission, through 20,800 miles and then BOOM, the vehicle shuddered hard and began slipping and squealing later that day. Four days later it was dropped off at the dealership with me worried I wasn't going to make it there cause it was slipping and squealing every time I encountered the slightest grade in the road. The loaner I have now is a 2020 Limited and still exhibits the low speed jerkiness, especially when the vehicle is cold and not at full operating temperature. I am hoping that these issues have been fixed and we don't soon start seeing many failures outside the August - November 2018 build range. If that starts happening then it will truly be disappointing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
These have to be costing Subaru a lot of money. They tear open every single failed tranny and inspect what happened. By now, they have to have hundreds of failed Ascent CVTs they’ve inspected.
The question is, have they found the problem and redesigned the part(s), or are they replacing CVTs and that’s just the cost of doing business.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts