Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 ascent touring. At 52,000 miles I was told I need a new transmission. Car always felt like it would whine when trying to shift up and sometimes shudder when going slowly in reverse. Took for service regularly. The dealership has had my car for a week and a half and they still can’t tell me when the parts will be in. On back order. If anyone is experiencing any sort of problems with their ascent and feels it might be transmission related take it in ASAP. Your warranty is only good on transmission til 60,000 miles. I am very disappointed in subaru. I bought this car for reliability and I basically got two years out of it. Something is very wrong with the ascent transmission. And I am only getting a one year or 20,000 mile warranty from them on it

·
Administrator
11,135 Posts
Hi, sorry to hear of your experiences. The 2019 Subaru Ascent CVT warranty, for all 2019 Subaru Ascents that have had the TSB/recall taken care of (and not gotten a new CVT) is extended to 10 years or 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi, sorry to hear of your experiences. The 2019 Subaru Ascent CVT warranty, for all 2019 Subaru Ascents that have had the TSB/recall taken care of (and not gotten a new CVT) is extended to 10 years or 100,000 miles.**
** Or if you have the transmission replaced by Subaru.

The extended warranty no longer applies after the transmission is replaced.

·
Administrator
11,135 Posts
** Or if you have the transmission replaced by Subaru.

The extended warranty no longer applies after the transmission is replaced.
Yes, I know... I said that. 😉

...TSB/recall taken care of (and not gotten a new CVT)...

·
Administrator
11,135 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2019 ascent touring. At 52,000 miles I was told I need a new transmission. Car always felt like it would whine when trying to shift up and sometimes shudder when going slowly in reverse. Took for service regularly. The dealership has had my car for a week and a half and they still can’t tell me when the parts will be in. On back order. If anyone is experiencing any sort of problems with their ascent and feels it might be transmission related take it in ASAP. Your warranty is only good on transmission til 60,000 miles. I am very disappointed in subaru. I bought this car for reliability and I basically got two years out of it. Something is very wrong with the ascent transmission. And I am only getting a one year or 20,000 mile warranty from them on it
I purchased a new 2019 Ascent and was just informed today that it needs a new transmission. The vehicle was driven for almost three years and currently has about 36k miles on it. The trans issues started some months ago; same as others have reported, shuddering in slow reverse, an occasional jolt when letting off the break at red lights and stops. The problem seemed to be in low gears. When I first took it in the mechanic said they couldn't duplicate the problem, so I insisted he take a ride with me and eventually he felt and heard the odd trans noise. Back at the shop, he supposedly took through series of maneuvers and suggested a drive it for awhile and take it back if the issue persisted. Well, it did and I took it back and reading a number of complaints about trans issues, especially with 2019 models and made the shop know I was aware of widespread problem. So . . . they put the vehicle through a battery of tests and lo and behold, need a new transmission, Fortunately, it didn't break down or leave us stranded but my wife and I disappointed and thinking maybe it's best we trade it in after the work is done. Maybe a Kia Telluride? By the way, we also have a 2017 Forester with 44k miles and never had a problem with it. but my wife doesn't wanna know about another Subaru right now.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,251 Posts
I purchased a new 2019 Ascent and was just informed today that it needs a new transmission. The vehicle was driven for almost three years and currently has about 36k miles on it. The trans issues started some months ago; same as others have reported, shuddering in slow reverse, an occasional jolt when letting off the break at red lights and stops. The problem seemed to be in low gears. When I first took it in the mechanic said they couldn't duplicate the problem, so I insisted he take a ride with me and eventually he felt and heard the odd trans noise. Back at the shop, he supposedly took through series of maneuvers and suggested a drive it for awhile and take it back if the issue persisted. Well, it did and I took it back and reading a number of complaints about trans issues, especially with 2019 models and made the shop know I was aware of widespread problem. So . . . they put the vehicle through a battery of tests and lo and behold, need a new transmission, Fortunately, it didn't break down or leave us stranded but my wife and I disappointed and thinking maybe it's best we trade it in after the work is done. Maybe a Kia Telluride? By the way, we also have a 2017 Forester with 44k miles and never had a problem with it. but my wife doesn't wanna know about another Subaru right now.
Was the transmission harness Recall including associated testing ever done on your 2019? The harness was what was causing transmission failure. The transmission, itself, that's employed in the Ascent has been in use for over twelve years now. While there are some acute failures, which is normal for any brand, the majority of issues folks had with the 2019 model year were related to the bad harness.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was the transmission harness Recall including associated testing ever done on your 2019? The harness was what was causing transmission failure. The transmission, itself, that's employed in the Ascent has been in use for over twelve years now. While there are some acute failures, which is normal for any brand, the majority of issues folks had with the 2019 model year were related to the bad harness.
I don't believe the transmission harness and any associated testing was not done on my vehicle and I'm glad the dealership I'm working with agreed to replace the trans without a lot of back and forth but what concerns me now is that the extended warranty (10 years or 100k miles) won't apply to my vehicle after they replace the transmission.

·
Administrator
11,135 Posts
I don't believe the transmission harness and any associated testing was not done on my vehicle and I'm glad the dealership I'm working with agreed to replace the trans without a lot of back and forth but what concerns me now is that the extended warranty (10 years or 100k miles) won't apply to my vehicle after they replace the transmission.
I would can call Subaru of America with that concern.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts