Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my car. 2019 Ascent, but just got word that I need a new transmission after 13,000 miles. Are you kidding me?!? Anyone else having transmission issues or is it a fluke? I will be getting a new car after the transmission is replaced because it is untrustworthy, but should I risk a new Ascent or perhaps something else?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Search the forums. There is a lot on the transmission issue. There is a problem Really with the transmission harness that leads to transmission failure. I had mine replaced and now I have no more issues with it and I’m not worried about it because they replaced the harness with it. You should be fine after you get a new transmission.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Yeah. There is a know issue and factory recall with a series of Ascents due to a poor connection in the transmission's wiring harness which can cause the transmission to get damaged. With a new new transmission (and included harness) your transmission will be solid. Something else might fail, but it's really highly unlikely you'll have another transmission issue.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,578 Posts
There was a recall while back for the transmission harness that both tested for the conditions and remediated it if necessary. The transmission, itself, is a very reliable mechanism that's been in use for about ten years. Did you have that recall work done?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dropped my 2019 Ascent Premium off at the dealer this morning to have the transmission looked at. They said it's getting a new one. Very easy process. 25,000 miles. Built May 2019. Took delivery July 2019. Should have it back in 10 days. Stuff happens and my dealer stood behind me made the process easy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Car back after two weeks with a new transmission. Runs and drives fine. Very easy warranty repair.

I wrote to Subaru and requested an lifetime extended warranty. They replied with a free Gold Plus Extended Warranty good for 6 years or 100,000 miles. Not a bad reply.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Car back after two weeks with a new transmission. Runs and drives fine. Very easy warranty repair.

I wrote to Subaru and requested an lifetime extended warranty. They replied with a free Gold Plus Extended Warranty good for 6 years or 100,000 miles. Not a bad reply.
Did they give you a drive train warranty or a total vehicle warranty?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dropped off 2019 Accent for tranny noise, two days later... picked it up with a new transmission. Simple no issue warranty. I actually purchased the 10 year extended warranty so who knows if the future brings more trouble or not, but I think after the ten years I will sell the car. - Jon La Pierre

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent Touring 2019
171 Posts
Gas mileage will depend on your driving conditions. I have 2019 Touring, May build and so far no issues.
I live in NYC. City driving mileage is not great, about 16-18 but on the road easily 25 mpg. This is about the same I used to get on 2003 Forester.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi llbolen33

Sorry to hear about your transmission issues. My 19 Ascent Touring also had its transmission replaced in November. It runs fine now, but Subaru did not provide any additional compensation. Subaru did sent out a letter a month ago stating any Ascent that was affected by the bad harness recall (WUV7) will get an extended warranty for up to 10 years/100k miles. However in your case (and mine), the extended warranty does not apply if you have your transmission replaced. So yea... I am sure the replacement will be fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I love my car. 2019 Ascent, but just got word that I need a new transmission after 13,000 miles. Are you kidding me?!? Anyone else having transmission issues or is it a fluke? I will be getting a new car after the transmission is replaced because it is untrustworthy, but should I risk a new Ascent or perhaps something else?
me at 45,000 got it replaced

·
Registered
51 Posts
I noticed some 'juddering' on heavy acceleration. The dealer checked it out and said the transmission needed to be replaced. Right around 15,500 miles. Just did a road trip of just over 9,000 miles with no issues. Gas mileage averaged out to around 25.4mpg. Even with the Colonial pipeline shutdown I had no problems finding gas and prices didn't vary by a lot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts