Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Should we be informed as to what the issue is? I’m sure this will be a fun topic of debate but it is really up to Subaru if they want it known. Personally as an engineer I would like to know what the root cause is but I mainly just want it fixed right.
Thanks for the thoughtful post. From my perspective, I would very much like to hear about any root causes. As a low mileage driver, I'm concerned about the long term possibility of failure. I'm on the clock instead of the odometer as far as my warranty goes.

At a first cut, I'd ask, "are problems more or less likely to arise as you add more mileage." If it's a matter of statistics (i.e., you are unlucky enough to get a "bad" transmission and you are otherwise fine), then problems are less likely over time. Unless the root cause is related to some kind of engine wear, that is.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I don’t know if it is comforting to you but most transmissions went out at less than 10k miles. Mine is an outlier at 32k miles and I thought I was ok but here I am. I tend to drive slowly and gently for the most part because I want a car to last for over 200k miles. I do wonder if slow and easy or fast driving accelerates the issue.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just to be clear on stats, observing the number of vehicles on a dealer lot at any given time is uni-dimensional, and you need some more data to make any meaningful conclusions.

Like at a factory, all things being equal, observed inventory will increase with throughput. Now you six-sigma lean types know that kanban quantities don't need to increase with throughput, and I get that. But let's just agree that instantaneous traditional WIP or finished goods inventories will increase, if throughput increases and clock time is held constant.

So to determine if all those Ascents on the lot indicate goodness or badness (or neutral), you need to know clock time, or how long each is sitting in the lot waiting for someone to buy them (on average). They could be sitting a long while, in which case throughput is low and replenishment is low, badness. They could be flying off the lot with fast replenishment and high numbers at any given moment, goodness. Or anywhere in between. Or they are ramping up inventory in anticipation of moving some volume. Stick a stopwatch on one (or just note a VIN) and see when it moves out - that's the only way to know.

F.S.

·
Registered
68 Posts
We just left our Ascent at the dealer after demonstrating transmission squeal and slippage with our 2018 September build Premium (less than 10K miles). This was our first significant mechanical problem in a new vehicle since we abandoned domestic purchases thirty years ago.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I don’t know if it is comforting to you but most transmissions went out at less than 10k miles. Mine is an outlier at 32k miles and I thought I was ok but here I am. I tend to drive slowly and gently for the most part because I want a car to last for over 200k miles. I do wonder if slow and easy or fast driving accelerates the issue.
Thanks, that kind of info is indeed comforting. Or at least it will be once I hit the 10k mark.

I've wondered the same thing about driving styles.

·
Registered
232 Posts
We just left our Ascent at the dealer after demonstrating transmission squeal and slippage with our 2018 September build Premium (less than 10K miles). This was our first significant mechanical problem in a new vehicle since we abandoned domestic purchases thirty years ago.
Sorry to hear about the trouble. Hope it works out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry to hear about the trouble. Hope it works out.
Follow up:
Drove our Ascent home from our dealer yesterday after eight days in the shop. Our dealer installed a new transmission and everything was covered under warranty. The wife (and grandkids) are back in the Ascent and I'm back in the Forester. Glad to have this episode behind us.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium Crystal White Pearl
94 Posts
Well I must be an outlier as well, mine began acting up really bad yesterday and is getting worse quickly. My 2019 Premium shuddered hard yesterday morning while traveling around 25 to 30 mph and me lightly on the throttle and ever since it is now squealing and slipping like crazy! My Ascent has 20,980 miles on it and it was purchased in August of 2018. Never towed anything and generally drive conservatively, at least on acceleration, I don't drive it like a grandma though. I have floored it on a few occasions. Not pleased at all and this certainly worries me for future towing. I will be taking it to the dealership next week and requesting to have a ride-a-long with a shop tech so they can witness it. I don't trust dropping it off with them just so they can tell me it didn't occur while they had it. It is the worst under load, such as going up a hill. It will squeal, slip, surge, and act all sorts of ridiculous. Glad I got the extended warranty out to, I believe 125,000 miles, as I believe this may be a reoccurring issue even after a replacement. If so, I will be dumping this thing and moving on from Subaru, or requesting that they give me one that works reliably. I don't want to deal with this BS after the warranty expires.

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
My 2019 Premium shuddered hard yesterday morning while traveling around 25 to 30 mph and me lightly on the throttle and ever since it is now squealing and slipping like crazy!
What's your build date?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Well I must be an outlier as well, mine began acting up really bad yesterday and is getting worse quickly. My 2019 Premium shuddered hard yesterday morning while traveling around 25 to 30 mph and me lightly on the throttle and ever since it is now squealing and slipping like crazy! My Ascent has 20,980 miles on it and it was purchased in August of 2018. Never towed anything and generally drive conservatively, at least on acceleration, I don't drive it like a grandma though. I have floored it on a few occasions. Not pleased at all and this certainly worries me for future towing. I will be taking it to the dealership next week and requesting to have a ride-a-long with a shop tech so they can witness it. I don't trust dropping it off with them just so they can tell me it didn't occur while they had it. It is the worst under load, such as going up a hill. It will squeal, slip, surge, and act all sorts of ridiculous. Glad I got the extended warranty out to, I believe 125,000 miles, as I believe this may be a reoccurring issue even after a replacement. If so, I will be dumping this thing and moving on from Subaru, or requesting that they give me one that works reliably. I don't want to deal with this BS after the warranty expires.
That sound a lot like how my transmission acted.

I am at 32k miles. I figure the new transmission has fixed the problem and I should hopefully be good for the next 300k miles; however, if it did not fix it then it should go out again within the extended warranty time frame. If that happens then I might consider dumping the car. Dumping it because there is a single early life failure on a component just does not make good fiscal sense to me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
What's your build date?
The best I can tell is it's 8/18, it doesn't give a day on the sticker on the lower driver side door sill.

That sound a lot like how my transmission acted.

I am at 32k miles. I figure the new transmission has fixed the problem and I should hopefully be good for the next 300k miles; however, if it did not fix it then it should go out again within the extended warranty time frame. If that happens then I might consider dumping the car. Dumping it because there is a single early life failure on a component just does not make good fiscal sense to me.
If they fix it and don't give me a huge hassle about it, and the transmission performs flawlessly moving forward, I'll gladly keep it. The issue is I will soon be purchasing a travel trailer with a total loaded weight of around 4,500 pounds. The Ascent is the only vehicle Subaru makes that is capable of towing this. If the transmission is a major weak point, and proves to be failing prematurely, which we will discover in the next couple of years as people put more miles on their rides, I will dump it with a quickness. It will be a shame as I have come to love Subaru but I have owned nearly all types of vehicles, except those overpriced German vehicles, although I would gladly take a Porsche in a heartbeat?. I guess time will ultimately tell.

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
The best I can tell is it's 8/18, it doesn't give a day on the sticker on the lower driver side door sill.

If they fix it and don't give me a huge hassle about it, and the transmission performs flawlessly moving forward, I'll gladly keep it. The issue is I will soon be purchasing a travel trailer with a total loaded weight of around 4,500 pounds. The Ascent is the only vehicle Subaru makes that is capable of towing this. If the transmission is a major weak point, and proves to be failing prematurely, which we will discover in the next couple of years as people put more miles on their rides, I will dump it with a quickness. It will be a shame as I have come to love Subaru but I have owned nearly all types of vehicles, except those overpriced German vehicles, although I would gladly take a Porsche in a heartbeat?. I guess time will ultimately tell.
The good news is, that seems to be in the time frame (August-November 2018) of 90-95% of the issues, and people getting new ones (sans dealer install error) have been problem free.

I suspect, like the others, you will be problem free with the new CVT.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My car is currently in the shop having front struts, springs and mounts replaced. They also turned the rotors on all four wheels due to warping. All known issues. No biggie. They give me a 2020 Ascent as a loaner and now I am realizing how horrible the transmission is on my vehicle. The loaner is butter smooth. I thought that some of the hesitations with my transmission was due to the fake shift points. There were times while driving my car I would hesitate pulling into traffic for fear of not getting up to speed in time. In this loaner I do not worry about that. I believe the build date was March 2019.

Also the hood flapping is not existent on the loaner.

I guess there will be two more things to discuss with the service department. :cry:

·
Registered
94 Posts
My car is currently in the shop having front struts, springs and mounts replaced. They also turned the rotors on all four wheels due to warping. All known issues. No biggie. They give me a 2020 Ascent as a loaner and now I am realizing how horrible the transmission is on my vehicle. The loaner is butter smooth. I thought that some of the hesitations with my transmission was due to the fake shift points. There were times while driving my car I would hesitate pulling into traffic for fear of not getting up to speed in time. In this loaner I do not worry about that. I believe the build date was March 2019.

Also the hood flapping is not existent on the loaner.

I guess there will be two more things to discuss with the service department. :cry:
Interesting, my brakes are also weird. I can feel clear vibration when breaking, especially when breaking from highway speed. I guess I'm gonna need to have them look at that to. I too thought my 2017 Forester was way smoother. The Ascent has always irritated me with its performance in the transmission department. It also became clear the brakes weren't going to last long.

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
Interesting, my brakes are also weird. I can feel clear vibration when breaking, especially when breaking from highway speed. I guess I'm gonna need to have them look at that to. I too thought my 2017 Forester was way smoother. The Ascent has always irritated me with its performance in the transmission department. It also became clear the brakes weren't going to last long.
Oddest thing is that it seems brake life isn't affected. I am still on my originals. I will be the first Ascent at my very high volume dealership to get rear brakes done (in 10,000 more miles), and I am the first set ordered by them, since I will blast through those 10,000 miles.

My front brakes have even longer left. They too vibrated and needed the rotors turned. They were turned at 21,485 miles.

I am currently at 44,334 miles and counting.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Oddest thing is that it seems brake life isn't affected. I am still on my originals. I will be the first Ascent at my very high volume dealership to get rear brakes done (in 10,000 more miles), and I am the first set ordered by them, since I will blast through those 10,000 miles.

My front brakes have even longer left. They too vibrated and needed the rotors turned. They were turned at 21,485 miles.

View attachment 2220

I am currently at 44,334 miles and counting.
View attachment 2221
Did they charge you to turn the rotors to fix the vibration? I don't doubt that they will last for a good time after turning, but the vibration and noise is pretty bad for me and it started about 3 months ago. It's definitely worse when braking from higher speeds, as I would expect it to be. I'm getting ready to post some videos of my transmission issues, should I make that a new thread or just post it here. I could also post it on the thread created where folks have been entering their transmission issues.

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
Did they charge you to turn the rotors to fix the vibration? I don't doubt that they will last for a good time after turning, but the vibration and noise is pretty bad for me and it started about 3 months ago. It's definitely worse when braking from higher speeds, as I would expect it to be. I'm getting ready to post some videos of my transmission issues, should I make that a new thread or just post it here. I could also post it on the thread created where folks have been entering their transmission issues.
No charge. It was warranty.

But, if brakes go from normal in the first 3 years or 36,000 miles, that's covered under warranty too. Same with wipers.

·
Registered
94 Posts
No charge. It was warranty.

But, if brakes go from normal in the first 3 years or 36,000 miles, that's covered under warranty too. Same with wipers.
Well that is good to know. I've heard of a lot of other manufacturers refusing to do brakes because they are wear and tear items. Happened to my Aunt years ago with her Ford Focus. Brakes were toast at like 17,000 miles and they charged her a full brake job replacement. Hopefully I will also be lucky and they will turn mine to fix the issue as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
it's interesting looking at the different items in this thread. one thing i notice is that the common denominator (the transmission) being reported to various service departments all over is that WE (the customer) have to PROVE that this problem exists in the first place. it's like all these shops operate in a vacuum, and there is no information about all these same problems being spread around through corporate communications. i owned a 1993 dodge caravan. it was equipped with the 604 auto transmission (as were many other dodge models). it was one of the biggest pos trans in history. it was a fact that there were more failures of that particular trans, than the combined total of failure of all other manufacturer trans failures together. and yet, when taking one in for repair, the attitude was the same: prove to us that there is something wrong with it. all i am able to take away from this type of attitude by dealer service people, is if they say 'oh another one', that it is a de-facto admission that they have created a turd component, and do not want to set themselves up for class action litigation. just the pondering of a disappointed new car owner. like the singer said, 'the thrill is gone'.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
it's interesting looking at the different items in this thread. one thing i notice is that the common denominator (the transmission) being reported to various service departments all over is that WE (the customer) have to PROVE that this problem exists in the first place. it's like all these shops operate in a vacuum, and there is no information about all these same problems being spread around through corporate communications. i owned a 1993 dodge caravan. it was equipped with the 604 auto transmission (as were many other dodge models). it was one of the biggest pos trans in history. it was a fact that there were more failures of that particular trans, than the combined total of failure of all other manufacturer trans failures together. and yet, when taking one in for repair, the attitude was the same: prove to us that there is something wrong with it. all i am able to take away from this type of attitude by dealer service people, is if they say 'oh another one', that it is a de-facto admission that they have created a turd component, and do not want to set themselves up for class action litigation. just the pondering of a disappointed new car owner. like the singer said, 'the thrill is gone'.
You suggest you have to prove the problem. As an owner I think this is perfectly reasonable. In the first case, not all transmission problems require a complete replacement so the technician needs to determine the specific symptoms and go through a specific protocol to determine what steps need to be taken for the repair. It is not appropriate to expect any manufacturer to replace the entire transmission if the harness is the only defective part (one of many examples). The simple fact is that the tech needs to duplicate or near duplicate the symptom before they can do anything. It is not simply whether they believe you or not but rather an issue of dialing in what the problem is, otherwise an owner may as well come into the dealer and say "it is broken" and expect a new car as the solution.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts