Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stock Ascent horn is very weak/lame, just not cutting it for me. I have a train horn which hooks up to a ViAir compressor, and sounds shockingly loud and amazing:smile_big:. I'm thinking about installing the compressor in the under floor compartment in the very back and mounting the actual horn in the back of the car, just need to run power back there. The other option is maybe fitting it into the engine bay and not have to worry about running to many wires. Has anyone done this yet?

·
Registered
96 Posts
The stock Ascent horn is very weak/lame, just not cutting it for me. I have a train horn which hooks up to a ViAir compressor, and sounds shockingly loud and amazing:smile_big:. I'm thinking about installing the compressor in the under floor compartment in the very back and mounting the actual horn in the back of the car, just need to run power back there. The other option is maybe fitting it into the engine bay and not have to worry about running to many wires. Has anyone done this yet?
In the back? Under the passengers? Shockingly loud? Are you sure? Where will you put the air tank, and how big is it?

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Unless you're talking a big compressor and big fluted end horns, you should be able to fit what you want behind the front bumper cover. Compressor on one side, horns on the other. It also means you can connect to the OEM wiring.

Personally, I got a pair of OEM replacement Hella super loud horns that are probably 1.5-2 times as loud. Direct replacement. Much easier.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Your description makes mine sound sad LOL..
If you don't mind me asking, which horn do you have"?

-C

Hey Cannibal, I have one of the older kits from Hornblasters.com. If you want serious horn power, check them out!
-G

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
-The compressor is attached to the 2 gallon tank, its not big, but not small either. The horn can be mounted anywhere, but you need to run an air line to it.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
This Stebel horn looks to be pretty loud and easy to install, I just might go this route, you got me thinking now.
This horn has been used by many thousands of people. It's the go-to super loud horn for replacements. Go to almost any forum where people have asked to add a powerful horn and you'll find it recommended. It's been used on cars, trucks, motorcycles, and boats. Very popular.

It'll surprise you the first time you hear it. Massive sound from a small package. It does draw 18 amps though, so you'll need to use a horn relay. Don't try to simply wire it into the existing horn which is not wired for 18 amps. Just get a horn relay kit to simplify the wiring. Takes about an hour to install.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Unless you're talking a big compressor and big fluted end horns, you should be able to fit what you want behind the front bumper cover. Compressor on one side, horns on the other. It also means you can connect to the OEM wiring.

Personally, I got a pair of OEM replacement Hella super loud horns that are probably 1.5-2 times as loud. Direct replacement. Much easier.
Do you have a link for the horns you used? Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts

Do you have a link for the horns you used? Thanks in advance.
These. I've used them once before and they aren't "semi truck" loud, but more like "old car from the 60s" loud.

I haven't put this particular set in yet, but I have used them before and been happy.

HELLA 003399801 Supertone 12V High Tone / Low Tone Twin Horn Kit with Red Protective Grill, 2 Horns (3AG 003 399-801) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CRZXPI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_QHd8qYlnTKckW

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
I went with Robert.Mauro’s suggestion and added some horn power behind the front bumper. It sounds nice!
I didn’t go with the whole air tank thing, just 2 compressors linked to 2 air horns with a relay and used the stock horn wire to activate.
The picture was taken before I secured the wires and tubing

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
I went with Robert.Mauro’s suggestion and added some horn power behind the front bumper. It sounds nice!
I didn’t go with the whole air tank thing, just 2 compressors linked to 2 air horns with a relay and used the stock horn wire to activate.
Now, if only I could get enough time to do all these things I keep suggesting (but only get to half of). LOL.

:grin: :sad: :tango_face_wink:

Still on my list... one day.

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
Now, if only I could get enough time to do all these things I keep suggesting (but only get to half of). LOL.

I know the feeling. I got this done in 2.5 hrs just in time to pick the kids up from school. Almost drove there with no front bumper cover.

I didn’t get around to cleaning that drivers window though ?

·
Registered
103 Posts

Robert with this kit did you need to purchase a relay wiring kit? Also did you need to purchase a bracket? I’ve never done a horn upgrade install and would love to. Can anyone give me any advice. Are the horns you listed just plug and play? Sorry if I sound very amateur. Would anyone recommend any other brand or model type of horn.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
No. But, I still haven't even tried to install them. Too swamped.

Robert with this kit did you need to purchase a relay wiring kit? Also did you need to purchase a bracket? I’ve never done a horn upgrade install and would love to. Can anyone give me any advice. Are the horns you listed just plug and play? Sorry if I sound very amateur. Would anyone recommend any other brand or model type of horn.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I highly recommend the Stebel. This horn is the favorite of motorcyclists who require the loudest horn possible but don't want something huge. I've owned several. If this horn is not loud enough for anyone, then they're deaf. It makes a massive noise that will scare the bejesus out of anyone and is sure to be noticed. Yet it's small and compact.

Here is what it sounds like in comparison to a regular car horn.

Most horns loud enough to be considered a good replacement will require a relay because, in order to generate much more sound than a typical car horn, they will require more current. There are many youtube videos showing how to do this if you don't know how.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Most horns loud enough to be considered a good replacement will require a relay because, in order to generate much more sound than a typical car horn, they will require more current. There are many youtube videos showing how to do this if you don't know how.
Yep, and, some horn kits (like Hella Supertones and Sharptones and others) will come with relay(s) and instructions on how to wire them. Def make sure you all install relays for big, power hungry horns so you don't blow a fuse or seize a relay closed by arc-welding it shut.

That last thing, btw, is fun. Horn just won't stop - until the fuse blows.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
If you want a horn louder than the original, but don't want to wire in a relay, you might be interested in these Hellas. They only draw 3 amps total, which should work in place of the original, but they give a great 108db dual-tone blast. I've used them on my boat and they're quite impressive for a low amperage horn.

If you want your Ascent to sound like a train though, you'll need a high amperage horn with a relay.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts