Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question. I read on a review that if you don't get the trailer hitch prep package, the towing capacity for the upper trims will fall from 5,000 lbs to 2,000 lbs. I was thinking of getting a Draw Tite hitch in the future, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to damage anything because either a transmission or power steering cooler was not added/active. Thank you.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Only the base model is limited in capacity by the cooler omission. Premium, Limited and Touring trims include the cooler. This is not connected to whether you want a hitch or not. If I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Your question/comment isn't quite coherent. The question you should ask is - what is the car/machine's towing capacity?

The answers are based on the trim package (base, primium, limited, or touring):

1. Base - 2000lbs
2. Premium, Limited, Touring - 5000lbs

When they sell you the trim package you, you are guaranteed of the towing capacity. The specifics of towing capacity can be easily found in other threads.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What else the hitch comes with

Don't forget, the Ascent hitch kit comes with the wiring harness (both 7 pin and 4 pin connectors) as well as a patch cable should you install a brake controller. I did my controller install this weekend and it was a snap.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Don't forget, the Ascent hitch kit comes with the wiring harness (both 7 pin and 4 pin connectors) as well as a patch cable should you install a brake controller. I did my controller install this weekend and it was a snap.
And it's crash tested, AND it has additional supports that go INTO the sub-frame rail. It's not just a simple bumper to hitch replacement. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Addition of the hitch blocks/removes the rear tow hook install location because you are removing the rear bumper cross brace/rail and install the hitch which acts as that component. I'm sure no one cares since you can use the hitch for the same purpose.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the information everyone. I'll definitely weigh the pros/cons of aftermarket vs Subaru hitch before I pull the trigger. Thankfully, I won't need to do this until Spring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hitch Installed

I had mine installed at the local dealer Saturday. It was expensive since I didn't do it myself but worth every penny. The body looks great like it was never touched and hitch has all the details you would expect from Subaru. Both light plugs and they change out the cover plugs so they have little thumb screws so it's easily removed when the hitch is needed.

oh.. and total cost was $673

1 - 10 of 10 Posts