Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed the trailer hitch themselves? I'm getting ready to and was wondering if there were any tips or tricks. Sometimes the factory instructions are a little "meh" in either the description or image. Thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the lead...!

The factory instructions were decent as long as you have a little mechanical knowledge. Here’s the link to the thread that was helpful to me along with info I added after doing it:
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...cessory-installation.html#/topics/3365?page=1
Can't believe I didn't catch that thread myself - thank you for that. Glad to see it's been tackled with positive results. I don't mind spinning wrenches but I always ask around a little to see what I'm *really* getting myself into lol.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Only suggestion I have is to look at the adhesive backed clips that hold the wire harnesses in place above the hitch. If they have the white foam tape on them, then I'd swap that out with the industrial outdoor 3M grey double sided tape. Simply scrape off the white tape, cut the correct size off a roll of the 3M outdoor industrial stuff, stick it onto the harness clip, attach to the car where shown in the manual, and then use duct tape to hold in place for 24 hours.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only suggestion I have is to look at the adhesive backed clips that hold the wire harnesses in place above the hitch. If they have the white foam tape on them, then I'd swap that out with the industrial outdoor 3M grey double sided tape. Simply scrape off the white tape, cut the correct size off a roll of the 3M outdoor industrial stuff, stick it onto the harness clip, attach to the car where shown in the manual, and then use duct tape to hold in place for 24 hours.
Thanks good call! I’ll pick a roll up from my favorite “big box store” with the bright orange sign ha.

·
Super Moderator
2,588 Posts
I thought those looked terribly insufficient during install, but I havent noticed any wires hanging down since then thankfully.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
I thought those looked terribly insufficient during install, but I havent noticed any wires hanging down since then thankfully.
I mentioned it to SoA ages ago (July or August), so, it's possible they've replaced the foam or entire clip during one of the hitch revisions.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Checking connection power levels...

A bit of a Trailer 101 question. Now that the hitch is installed (yay)...I want to use the multimeter to ensure proper power is flowing to the 4-pin and 7-pin connections. What unit should I be measuring (ohms, volts, amps, etc.) and what’s a good reading? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
Volts. But you might just stop by Tractor Supply, an auto parts store, or similar and just pick up a dedicated trailer connection checker. Keep in mind that this kinda requires two people since you can't operate the brake pedal, turn signals and lights from back behind the vehicle so you can see the indications. :)

Reactions: Brian Belfiore

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Volts. But you might just stop by Tractor Supply, an auto parts store, or similar and just pick up a dedicated trailer connection checker. Keep in mind that this kinda requires two people since you can't operate the brake pedal, turn signals and lights from back behind the vehicle so you can see the indications. :)
Awesome advice I'm researching connection checkers now!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
It's a good thing to have, Brian..."stuff" happens sometimes when towing and doo-dads like this can save time and pinpoint an issue much easier than using a multi-meter.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Does anyone know the difference between part numbers L101SXC002 and L101SXC000?
Nothing of importance between any of the THREE part numbers. I summarized it earlier someplace in the forums. L101SXC002 is the latest version, which includes pre-assembled bumper cover twist locks. There's no consumer relevant changes between any of the three versions.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Good to go, thanks very much!
Glad I could help. For the life of me, I can't find my original post. May have been on Facebook instead. If you are REALLY bored, you can find each of the three installation manuals, and note the differences by comparing the parts lists and instructions portions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts