Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been looking at a travel trailer and in the process of getting one. So I added the hitch to our order today. I haven’t been able to find it but, does anyone know if the trailer hitch has a trailer brake control with it already? Or is that something that needs to be added?

·
Administrator
7,818 Posts
We have been looking at a travel trailer and in the process of getting one. So I added the hitch to our order today. I haven’t been able to find it but, does anyone know if the trailer hitch has a trailer brake control with it already? Or is that something that needs to be added?
Four pin and seven pin connector with full functionality one would expect for Class III hitch and 5,000 pounds towing - assuming you're talking the Premium upwards.

·
Administrator
7,818 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
It won’t have the physical controller but it has the 7 pin so adding one shouldn’t be too difficult.

If your shopping a trailer please please do not buy a Travel trailer that has an empty weight over 2500lbs!!

Keep in mind empty means empty, no propane, no water, no kitchen supplies, no hiking gear, no fishing gear, no bikes, no dog kibble etc. Your max tow capacity also means your passenger and cargo in the Ascent are on the light side. This is the case with ANY tow rated vehicle.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The Airstream trailer shown in the Ascent video and Take the Ascent Tour...is definitely over 2600lbs dry weight IMHO.
As is the 20+ft power boat shown in the videos.

The difference with RVs is that everyone underestimates their loaded weights by a large margin add a trailer thats over half the max rated weight and it never plays out well.

Max tow weight is not a weight you want to drag hours and hours across unfamiliar roads. On the flip side dragging the 5000lb boat across town to the boat ramp on surface streets isn’t going to be a big deal etc

·
Registered
978 Posts
A 5000lb travel trailer I would at bare minimum be looking at a 7500lb rated truck like the Colorado / Canyon or even larger F150.

The Ascent having the 5000lb rating is great but thats still a weight that requires smart / small RVs and light packing.

·
Administrator
7,818 Posts
The Airstream trailer shown in the Ascent video and Take the Ascent Tour...is definitely over 2600lbs dry weight IMHO.
Many good trailer sites have dry weight and max cargo wet weight. Ensure both combined are less than 4,900 pounds (leaves 100 pounds for hitch attachments, etc). And then don't overload the trailer. :tango_face_wink:

The problem is, one cannot go off of dry weight because loaded weight varies a lot. Tank capacity changes things drastically, for instance. And then there's the other problem Subiesailor mentioned - people who overload. One must take into account wet weight (tanks full) no cargo to figure out how much stuff they can put inside.

It's far better to have a margin. I'm going with 500 pounds, and combining all weights (dry, cargo, fuel and water tanks) as a minimum buffer. Better on the car.

Also, I definitely wouldn't run any car at limit all the time. So, I wouldn't hit 4,900 pounds 5 days a week hauling some big trailer for work. But I would haul around 4,500 pounds once or twice a month for trips.

But that's just my take on it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Today its very very easy to pack on lots of weight with all the small packed size gear, chairs, cooking gear, folding bbq, outdoor carpet, propane fire pit. Bikes! Golf bags, flat screen TV etc it all adds up fast.

My current camping rig is 900lbs empty. A short weekend trip loaded we run 1200-1300lbs. Week long trip we can easily tip in at 1700lbs with boats, bikes, fire wood, water etc. My dream RV trailer would be a 8ft long box 5ft high with a pop top. Rear loading doors for bikes and junk, front slide out drawer style outside kitchen. Bunk setup above in the pop up, and below bunk. 6ft wide wheel to wheel 13-14ish ft long hitch to tail lights. Empty weight 1600lbs. Loaded anywhere between 2500-3500. That would be a killer Ascent family camp rig.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Today its very very easy to pack on lots of weight with all the small packed size gear, chairs, cooking gear, folding bbq, outdoor carpet, propane fire pit. Bikes! Golf bags, flat screen TV etc it all adds up fast.

My current camping rig is 900lbs empty. A short weekend trip loaded we run 1200-1300lbs. Week long trip we can easily tip in at 1700lbs with boats, bikes, fire wood, water etc. My dream RV trailer would be a 8ft long box 5ft high with a pop top. Rear loading doors for bikes and junk, front slide out drawer style outside kitchen. Bunk setup above in the pop up, and below bunk. 6ft wide wheel to wheel 13-14ish ft long hitch to tail lights. Empty weight 1600lbs. Loaded anywhere between 2500-3500. That would be a killer Ascent family camp rig.
I would agree with your accessment of loaded weight not over 3500lbs range for a travel trailer..could be a little more with an evenly balanced load and a low profile unit....and staying well below the max 500 lbs tongue weight figures IMHO.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It won’t have the physical controller but it has the 7 pin so adding one shouldn’t be too difficult.

If your shopping a trailer please please do not buy a Travel trailer that has an empty weight over 2500lbs!!

Keep in mind empty means empty, no propane, no water, no kitchen supplies, no hiking gear, no fishing gear, no bikes, no dog kibble etc. Your max tow capacity also means your passenger and cargo in the Ascent are on the light side. This is the case with ANY tow rated vehicle.

You don't think that it will have a build in brake controller (SCREEN) with adjustable brake output for stopping power ????? Thanks, 73Bryan

·
Registered
23 Posts
You don't think that it will have a build in brake controller (SCREEN) with adjustable brake output for stopping power ????? Thanks, 73Bryan
Trailers with a dry weight of over 1500 lbs require trailer brakes, but auto/truck manufacturers are not required to install a brake controller. It took Toyota a long time to finally put one in the Tundra. If it had an integrated trailer brake controller, it should be clearly visible with a manual override; don’t see one in the Ascent. The Prodigy is a good aftermarket controller, and easy to install if the car is pre-wired.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You're probably correct, some owners may only use hitch receiver for bike carrier, etc. I thought maybe when hitch was order they would activate a computer screen. I guess most vehicles I've seen with a brake controller built in do have that manual slide to test hookup or apply if needed. My 06 Forester XT has only seen snowmobile trailers in it's life and under that 1500# limit. 145 K. Thanks for your input !!

·
Registered
3 Posts
To answer your question when you order the factory hitch or install the factory hitch the car is prewired for a electric brake control. The seven blade plug also has the 12vdc powered blade and grounded blade. My dealer was concerned about where to install the brake controller it do to the front air bags. They installed it on the right side of the steering wheel. It took less than one hour.
As for towing with the Ascent. I have a 4,000 lb trailer that I tow all the time. The car handle like there is on load on the car in both acceleration or braking. The owner's manual states any trailer above 1,000 lbs should have brakes, either surge or electric. I installed a Tekonsha 90160 Primus IQ Electronic Brake Control. It was the smallest I could find. It can handle up to three brake axles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts