Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Person who is not worried, will not spend 4K on extra warranty... 4K is a good 8+ month of payments for me ... add tires, miles and depreciation in 8 extra month and 4K now more like 5.5-7k...

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I have now owned 2 different Ascents. I generally liked my 2019 Ascent Premium save for the fuel economy, but wanted a few more features, so I traded it for a 2020 Ascent Limited without really checking out the competition. I had recently been dissatisfied with very poor fuel economy on several recent fill-ups on the Ascent (about 15 mpgs) and decided to go test drive a Highlander Hybrid. I ended up trading in the Limited Ascent for a Highlander Hybrid Platinum. The Highlander provides a much smoother ride, almost equal power, tighter steering, WAY better sound system, nicer leather, more comfortable seats, and double the fuel economy (or better). One of the biggest things that stuck out was the suspension difference. Where I really felt a lot of bumps earlier with the Ascent, the Highlander rolls over them without much effect. The two cars have almost exactly the same size tire, so the difference is probably in the suspension components. It was really a no brainer to make the switch. I guess I was also swayed by recent revelations on this list of leaking engines and blown transmissions in the Ascent at low miles. I was able to get a 10 year bumper to bumper warranty on the Highlander for $4k extra, which is transferable to next owner.

This car will save me about 200 gallons of gas a year (5 barrels) even with my low miles of about 8,000/year. That's 2 tons of CO2 emissions or about equal to the vehicle's weight in greenhouse gases- pretty impressive for a vehicle that is of equal mass to the Ascent. There is also about 1.5 inches more legroom in the second row, which is a nice improvement with 2 car seats back there. My 1 year old's rear facing seat is no longer jammed against the back of my seat. Overall the Highlander just seems way more refined and predictable on the road. It is a real pleasure to drive this thing around town with the low end torque the electric motors provide (there are 2 of them, front and rear). No more jerky groany Subaru CVT (this vehicle also has a CVT). I owned a Prius for 5 years and to me this new Highlander Hybrid is the crescendo of 20+ years of hybrid tech development by Toyota. It is truly an engineering marvel. Would highly recommend to any Ascent owner. After a year a piece with my Ascents I have finally found a vehicle that I can hang onto for many years.
"I was able to get a 10 year bumper to bumper warranty on the Highlander for $4k extra, which is transferable to next owner "

If you stuck around that dealership longer maybe you could have gotten that same warranty for $6000. I am hoping this extended service contract is directly baked by Toyota and not a third party of any kind.

I am not suggesting that an extended service contract is always bad. I think it does need to be a good fit with the owner. I also strongly believe it needs to be from the manufacturer and not a third party. I would consider the history of that manufacturer to actually take care of the owners who have purchased that coverage and whether certain wear items are covered. In the case of the Ascent many owners were thrilled with the model but somewhat concerned with the fact it was the first year of that model (despite the Ascent CVT having a long successful history). Subaru had a history of taking good care of its customers through the original warranty and extended service contract. Owners who purchased the Subaru service contract tend to be those who plan on keeping the vehicle for a very long time, well past the original warranty period. It still is a gamble for an owner whether the payback will ever come.

I did purchase the Gold plan but negotiated the price down significantly which in turn reduced any payback period and therefore added value to the service contract. I knew I was never going to pay that higher price for the contract. I would much rather simply saved the funds in case I had an expensive repair after the original warranty expired.

$4000 for payback is going to be tough to cover. you might consider canceling it and re-negotiating with some other dealer (typically a dealer will not be truthful regarding your cancellation options - know the law). If you do cancel you will still be paying for the interest on the financing of that $4000 (assuming you rolled it into the purchase). I paid about $1750 for my Gold plan 10/100,000 zero deduct at about 33,000 miles on the odometer and the Subaru plan is more comprehensive in coverage than the one you purchased. I suspect repair costs for any particular item for both vehicles are comparable.

I have read a 2018 poster on a Toyota forum: "I paid 2k for 10 year 125K platinum warranty"

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
501 Posts
was able to get a 10 year bumper to bumper warranty on the Highlander for $4k extra, which is transferable to next owner "

If you stuck around that dealership longer maybe you could have gotten that same warranty for $6000. I am hoping this extended service contract is directly baked by Toyota and not a third party of any kind.
😂

·
Registered
4 Posts
What swayed me to go with the Ascent instead of the Highlander Hybrid was - among other reasons like pricing, steering, and the cramped 3rd row - primarily the latter's obtrusive 4-banger engine (at least for my driving style). Could be though that I was trying to find a reason to like the Ascent better, lol....

·
Registered
153 Posts
Toyota just applied for a patent for the "Grand Highlander.". A larger third row, no doubt.
And didn't they kill the Sequoia?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts