Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Traded in my Ascent...

6K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  RobertD 
#1 ·
Since I bought my Ascent, I have come to love the Subaru brand and community so much that I traded the Ascent in and bought an Outback Wilderness. Why an Outback instead of an Ascent? Simple, it is what my wife wants.

I ordered it from Liberty Subaru in NJ. I live in Texas. It was about 4,000 miles round trip and 2 weeks of traveling but worth it to us. Dan at Liberty honors the VIP pricing (previous local dealer would not) and made the ordering and buying experience painless. Dan worked with me to order the Outback the way I wanted and kept me up to date throughout the wait. When the Outback came in, I could not get it right away due to health issues and Dan / Liberty were very understanding and held the car for us and did not pressure us to rush. It was very refreshing to have a dealer care about people during these unusual car buying times. He could have easily sold it to someone else quickly and got it “off the books” but they told us to take our time and let them know when we could get there. When we arrived, they had the car ready and made the car buying easy and effortless and even gave us a bag full of Subaru swag. No high-pressure tactics from a finance guy and everything was just what we have agreed on. A couple hours after I drove off, I Called and asked about the My Subaru app and the remote start feature. Liberty not only already had my new car in the system but they paid for the first 3 years of the Starlink safety and security package for me. I was most pleasantly surprised! In the strange times of car shortages and dealers charging well over MSRP good dealers really stand out and Liberty Subaru is outstanding!

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

See less See more
#3 ·
Enjoy the new ride! Great excuse for a road trip, I hope it was enjoyable. I bought my Ascent from Liberty almost 1 year ago and had a very similar experience (minus the unplanned waiting, I picked it up ASAP). I don't plan to be in the market any time soon, but if that unexpectedly changes, Dan at Liberty will definitely get my business again.

#5 ·
Wow congrats! Curious who the dealer was in case they are in my area (North of Dallas).
I'm planning on getting a Crosstrek for my daughter next spring, so this may be a good excuse to do a road trip and get a great deal. Especially if my local dealers are not flexible like your local.

#7 · (Edited)
Wow congrats! Curious who the dealer was in case they are in my area (North of Dallas).
I'm planning on getting a Crosstrek for my daughter next spring, so this may be a good excuse to do a road trip and get a great deal. Especially if my local dealers are not flexible like your local.
My local dealer is in the Houston area.

Dan at Liberty certainly made it worth my while to drive the distance. I am sure he can do the same for you. FYI, if you go to NJ in January for the Make a Wish charity event it is a lot of fun. My wife and I did that last year and met some great folks and had a blast. If you can't go in January Check with Subaru Ambassador Robert M and find out what adventures the Tri State MountainRoo folks are doing and you will have a great time. Also sounds like good bonding time for you and your daughter.

#8 ·
Since I bought my Ascent, I have come to love the Subaru brand and community so much that I traded the Ascent in and bought an Outback Wilderness. Why an Outback instead of an Ascent? Simple, it is what my wife wants.

I ordered it from Liberty Subaru in NJ. I live in Texas. It was about 4,000 miles round trip and 2 weeks of traveling but worth it to us. Dan at Liberty honors the VIP pricing (previous local dealer would not) and made the ordering and buying experience painless. Dan worked with me to order the Outback the way I wanted and kept me up to date throughout the wait. When the Outback came in, I could not get it right away due to health issues and Dan / Liberty were very understanding and held the car for us and did not pressure us to rush. It was very refreshing to have a dealer care about people during these unusual car buying times. He could have easily sold it to someone else quickly and got it “off the books” but they told us to take our time and let them know when we could get there. When we arrived, they had the car ready and made the car buying easy and effortless and even gave us a bag full of Subaru swag. No high-pressure tactics from a finance guy and everything was just what we have agreed on. A couple hours after I drove off, I Called and asked about the My Subaru app and the remote start feature. Liberty not only already had my new car in the system but they paid for the first 3 years of the Starlink safety and security package for me. I was most pleasantly surprised! In the strange times of car shortages and dealers charging well over MSRP good dealers really stand out and Liberty Subaru is outstanding!

View attachment 18209
That is great to hear and I want to say normally I don't like the looks of the black wheels and trim ,but on your car it just looks good. As much as I hate to say this I like it. And I'm glad you found a dealership worthy of your business and I hope you will go back cus car buying has slowed way down ,but the good dealerships need to around when the dust settles.

#11 ·
SBA - I have not had a problem with Gillman Subaru North. They may get my Ascent order for a 2023 or 2024 before we move out of Texas. Currently I have a 2018 Outback Limited and a 2021 Outback Limited. The 2020 Outback Limited saved my wife's life and is a Subaru story.

#20 ·

View attachment 18209
We live in the DFW area, and have bought our last 3 from Subaru from Boston Planet Subaru 888-534-2725 because of the WONDERFUL customer service. Additional $1100 to ship to my home, but was worth it to me.

#24 ·

View attachment 18209
my Daughter just got a wilderness and made a trip to Boston. She got only 23 MPG. what do you get? I have an Accent and we have driven to Wisconsin from Virginia and ave 28-30 MPG.

#25 ·
In the Ascent I got 24.6 going from Texas to NJ and in the Outback Wilderness I got 26.2 Going from NJ to TX via Alabama. FYI I usually drive 5 over the speed limit and in some states that is not safe and I have to drive 10-15 over and in one state, Louisiana, I drive the speed limit.

#30 ·

View attachment 18209
What size engine? Turbo?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.