Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever trade in two cars at once? Do dealers go for that?

We have a '16 Premium Outback which is our family car, and a '14 Camry LE that is my daily driver. I'd like to trade both on on a '20 Ascent. I know trade in is less money, but I'm willing to accept that for less hassle. I thought I'd ask here first, before contacting a dealer about it. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Anyone ever trade in two cars at once? Do dealers go for that?

We have a '16 Premium Outback which is our family car, and a '14 Camry LE that is my daily driver. I'd like to trade both on on a '20 Ascent. I know trade in is less money, but I'm willing to accept that for less hassle. I thought I'd ask here first, before contacting a dealer about it. Thanks!
A dealer will accept a trade on any vehicle(s) if they believe they can sell it for more than they pay you for it. The dealer trade will not provide you, the seller, with the most money but it is convenient for the seller. Keep the transactions separate from the purchase of your new vehicle. You can roll it into the credit that is issued toward the purchase price but the negotiation should be separate. Make sure you know what your two vehicles are individually worth on the private sale market in YOUR area, based on the mileage and condition of similar recent sales.

I do not agree with the article below that there is an advantage to a dealer trade in since they apply that amount towards your loan. You can do the same by selling the used vehicle privately receiving the most the market will offer and then taking those proceeds for an increased down payment towards the new purchase. Same result but you probably are going to have more money towards the down payment compared to the dealer offer.

I also would make your best deal on the new vehicle you can PRIOR to negotiation the trade in. I would not tell them you are trading in a vehicle because up front because they will likely wither lower the trade value or increase the sale price to maximize their profit. I do not blame them. It is just the way the game is played.

You can always buy from one dealer and sell your used vehicles to another dealer. They are simply in the business of buying and selling vehicles for profit. They have their network to resell them.

trade in tips

·
Registered
776 Posts
Keep in mind, right now with the economy slowing, and unemployment increasing, the dealers will have fewer places/opportunities to sell trade ins, and they may low-ball you ( not that they wouldn't low-ball you in a strong economy, either).

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
In Texas the taxes that you pay on a new car are reduced by your trade in value. I also would rather lose a little on the trade in for the convenience of not having to sell it my self. I would certainly trade in both cars.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
In Texas the taxes that you pay on a new car are reduced by your trade in value. I also would rather lose a little on the trade in for the convenience of not having to sell it my self. I would certainly trade in both cars.
that is strange that they would reduce the tax base by the trade in value. Would they do the same for a larger down payment of the same amount?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,886 Posts
that is strange that they would reduce the tax base by the trade in value.
It's the same in PA and many other states...trade in is subtracted off the negotiated price of the vehicle before sales tax is calculated. That's why one has to carefully consider which is financially better...trading in or selling privately. For the latter, you have to be able to sell for enough that you at least cover the increased sales tax on the new vehicle that would have not been there had you traded it in for the dealer offer. I did get more for a private sale at the time I was buying my Ascent so that's the way I went.

How you pay doesn't affect sales tax other than if a trade in is involved as part of your payment in states that provide the sales tax benefit I and the other poster described.

Reactions: RobertD

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
It's the same in PA and many other states...trade in is subtracted off the negotiated price of the vehicle before sales tax is calculated. That's why one has to carefully consider which is financially better...trading in or selling privately. For the latter, you have to be able to sell for enough that you at least cover the increased sales tax on the new vehicle that would have not been there had you traded it in for the dealer offer. I did get more for a private sale at the time I was buying my Ascent so that's the way I went.

How you pay doesn't affect sales tax other than if a trade in is involved as part of your payment in states that provide the sales tax benefit I and the other poster described.
I learned something new.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,886 Posts
Yea, sales tax stuff is wicked complex sometimes....there are over 3000 separate tax jurisdictions in the US between states and local entities and there's no consistency. This is one of the things that has made the collection and remittance of sales tax for sales outside of one's locality such a challenge for businesses as there is an increasing legal requirement to do so and as non-local sales become the norm because of Internet commerce eclipsing "brick and mortar" sales. And then you add the interesting ways that individual states treat vehicles relative to taxation which is not necessarily the same as goods off the shelf at your local Wally World. PA is "one and done"...sales tax on vehicles is only upon sale and registration is a "small" fee annually or biannually if one elects to do two year registration. Some other states have an annual "not so small" use/property tax on vehicles. I'd personally prefer not to live in the latter!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Dealers are offering extremely low prices for trade-ins right now. I would not make the move until the pandemic is over and people get back to work. There are too many stories of people being offered $3-4K less for a trade-in today, than they were offered in February. You might have a success story, but go in understanding the risks of being taken advantage of.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Dealers are offering extremely low prices for trade-ins right now. I would not make the move until the pandemic is over and people get back to work. There are too many stories of people being offered $3-4K less for a trade-in today, than they were offered in February. You might have a success story, but go in understanding the risks of being taken advantage of.
just sell it privately.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts