Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that my new Ascent does not track very well at higher speeds. The alignment has been checked twice. Tire pressure at 34 on standard tires. Anyone else having this problem? Solution? Different tires maybe?

·
Super Moderator
2,428 Posts
This has been discussed so keep browsing around. Have you noticed if the LKA is activating?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This has been discussed so keep browsing around. Have you noticed if the LKA is activating?
LKA is off. I'm talking about having to make lots of little steering adjustments to keep it straight...almost like there is a side wind....even when no wind.

·
Registered
73 Posts
This has been discussed under many threads from sloppy driving, loose driving. I have noticed this and believe that this is a definite defect in the design of the eyesight and LKA.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
As I have said elsewhere, my 2019 Limited tracks dead straight to the point where the "Keep Your Hands On the Wheel" warning goes off repeatedly because no steering inputs were detected. This is with LKA and Eyesight turned on.

I also really like how the steering effort increases with speed.

It shouldn't require constant corrections if everything is set up properly.

·
Super Moderator
2,428 Posts
Haha yep. I consider the keep hands on steering wheel warning to be a quick alignment check. Happens many times per week!

·
Registered
775 Posts
As mentioned, this has been covered elsewhere. I definitely have to correct the steering on the highway too much, with both my winter and summer wheels and tires, and I've had two alignment in 5500 miles.

Lkas was also very sensitive in certain gentle highway bends, but it seems less intrusive now.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
As mentioned, this has been covered elsewhere. I definitely have to correct the steering on the highway too much, with both my winter and summer wheels and tires, and I've had two alignment in 5500 miles.

Lkas was also very sensitive in certain gentle highway bends, but it seems less intrusive now.
Does it pull more to one side or both directions equally?

·
Registered
775 Posts
It really just tends to wander both ways a bit. It's not a dangerous feeling, but it does require constant correction. it's as if there's a dead spot right in the center of the steering when you should be going straight. and as I mentioned, this is after two alignments in less than 5000 miles, and it happened with both my winter wheels and tires and my summer wheels and tires.

the interesting thing about the alignment is it doesn't tend to wander to a respective side if I am on a crowned road, especially at non highway speeds. The car is pretty true around town.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I found myself having the same problems, I've got 10k on mine and still find I can't get used to the Electronic Power Steering at highway speeds.

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
This is caused by minute user input, thus, an alignment won't fix anything. There's no slop in our electrical assist power steering unit. That means, minute user input will change vehicle direction slightly, requiring user correction, over and over again.

Some people like slop. Some people don't. It's not a defect. It's a preference (or the opposite of that).

I "suffer" from the same problems noted above when I am really tired and driving (never driving tired enough to fall asleep - but muscle fatigue tired). I don't enjoy the tight steering nearly as much then (or at all). When I'm sharp and my muscles are beginning the day (unlike last week, with 10 hour driving days), I absolutely love the hyper-reactive steering with zero slop, because I can turn on, around or over a dime, and react with a precision that's absolutely impossible in a car with steering slop.

Over the years, across 27 cars, vans and a motorcycle (talk about zero steering slop), I've preferred one over the other depending on the vehicle. Loved the precision of my motorcycle and 1965 Impala and the something in between feel of my power power steering in my 1963 Biscayne. Loved the looser feel of my Chrysler New Yorker. Hated the ridiculous amounts of horrible slop in my Ford E350 SuperVan (early 1980s) - no amount of adjustment fixed the well known issue - you could literally drive like in the old movies from the 50's with that ridiculous amount of left-right wheel turns while going straight.

In the end, I've always found going looser on my input on a tighter steering system like ours makes the car easier to control. I found that gripping the wheel tightly and continually trying to overcorrect makes it worse. One of my co-travelers found the same thing when he took over some of the driving duties. Anticipating the car's tracking becomes easier and makes it easier to require less/no/minimal correction because we no longer over-corrected. The people who (like me) are getting the "Keep Hands on Wheel" warning are those who are winning that "game".

A friend of mine has a more expensive car that also has an electric assist power steering where it's adjustable. Perhaps that's the solution to make everyone happy?

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I’m currently on a week long road trip that I have driven the Ascent daily. My wife drives the car steady. With the lane assist, I’m bouncing all over the place. One handed is worse. I’ve resorted to turning lane assist off. I’m still making the beeps go of when I cross the lines. I’ve come to the realization, it’s me. I’m the problem...

·
Registered
559 Posts
After now having driven the car over 8k miles, including a recent 3500 mi trip, I will say that the "looseness" and "imprecision" is mainly due to it being very light electric steering.

My other vehicles have hydraulic steering, which is more heavily damped and generally requires more effort. So my muscle memory was primarily attuned to hydraulic steering. Even my 997.2 Porsche Carrera GTS has hydraulic steering, although it is very quick and VERY precise.

I can say that after I got used to the low effort steering with minimal movements causing immediate reactions i.e. "sensitive steering", my wandering decreased significantly as my muscle memory adapted to the Ascent's steering. I am now of the opinion that the steering is indeed very accurate, although the contours of the vehicle kind of make it difficult to place it precisely in the lane at times.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Raising the tire pressure to 36lb/psi works for me in the Big A tracking true,especially at highway speeds.I only use LKA on long drives.
My Premium(18” wheels) model recommends 35lb/psi by the manufacturer,steering just feels too loose.With just a 1 lb over totally makes a difference,for me at least.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts