Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the TPMS sensors constantly reads 3psi lower then the others (cold or warm)...
I dont think the pressure is lower, as I constantly check tires...but dealer says this variance is normal...
Not convinced if a 3psi deviation would be normal...so asking for everyone's inputs :)
Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I noticed that my TPMS sensors read about 2 PSI less than either of my tire pressure gauges and one of the sensors is 1 psi less than the other three. So well within the 3psi deviation.

·
Registered
680 Posts
common TPMS sensors are accurate to ± 3-5%.
you can ask dealer list normal % variance on your paper work .

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to update this...now it appears I am losing air on one tire faster then the others. The dealer measured the front tires at 26-28 psi. But they said they didn’t find any leaks and filled it up to spec. Two weeks later same issue and again dealer can’t find anything! I am filling air every week to keep it up to spec. With freezing temps this week the other three tires are holding pressure but not this one, it’s losing at an accelerated rate. I am wondering if I can ask them to check anything else and if this difference can damage the Awd system? (I am at 31-32 on one wheel and 35 on the others)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
They may want to pull the tire and re-seat it to see if that cures the slow leak and also replace the valve stem just for grins.

Reactions: vitenite

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As an update took it in to the dealer again today...they found nothing but arent able to explain why its losing air either! just checked the air and sent me back :(
The only questioon is how low is too low before it affects my AWD system? Thoughts anyone? Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would not accept anything less than pulling the tire off, cleaning the rim, changing the valve stem and then reseating the tire. Over the years whenever we had a tire losing air that is what our dealer did and it solved the problem every time.

·
Super Moderator
3,828 Posts
As an update took it in to the dealer again today...they found nothing but arent able to explain why its losing air either! just checked the air and sent me back :(
The only questioon is how low is too low before it affects my AWD system? Thoughts anyone? Thanks!
Why not insist that they pull the tire and remount it with a new valve stem as I mentioned previously? Perhaps you should ask at a different dealer, too.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why not insist that they pull the tire and remount it with a new valve stem as I mentioned previously? Perhaps you should ask at a different dealer, too.
I did mention this to them, but I guess dealer didnt want to do it for some reason...I am going to try a different dealer and see if they are more receptive to the idea...thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,828 Posts
It seems like a simple thing but sometimes...not very often...there's something amiss with the way a tire is beaded to the wheel when installed. 'Could be something as simple as a spec of dirt in the wrong place or an anomaly on the wheel rim or tire bead. It only takes about 15 minutes or so to do this.

Reactions: packout

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
contact SOA while standing in front of the service representative. You will then see their attitude and willingness shift.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK...just to update everyone...the dealer found a small leak in the tire and actually replaced the tire for me since it was defective. But they only replaced one. Now the question is would it damage the awd system...apparently the other tire is at 8/32nd and the new one is at 10/32nd. Since the diff is only 2/32nd they told me its ok...but I wonder what the tolerances are in the awd for this

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
OK...just to update everyone...the dealer found a small leak in the tire and actually replaced the tire for me since it was defective. But they only replaced one. Now the question is would it damage the awd system...apparently the other tire is at 8/32nd and the new one is at 10/32nd. Since the diff is only 2/32nd they told me its ok...but I wonder what the tolerances are in the awd for this
I seem to recall some spec on this posted on this forum. My brain is too old to specifically recall the delta data. 2/32 seems fine to me. I would make sure they are maintained via rotation and being properly inflated moving forward.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts