Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
865 Posts
Thanks, I'm still a year away from pick up but trying to get the weight sorted out. Borrowing an adjustable hitch might work, I was trying to avoid more weight, they're quite heavy.
You can always put about 6-700#'s of sand bags, mulch or similar into the back and see how much rear drop you get. Of course you also need to have the passenger seats loaded like you will when towing because loads ahead of the rear axle lowers the front suspension and you need to approximate the load as closely as possible.

I also prefer fixed drops for lower weight and fewer connection points to add rattles.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
865 Posts
@Jmkj

A member of this site tried to get the Better Weigh to work with the Ascent and was unsuccessful. They even worked with the manufacturer to work out the kinks.

The hitch mounted scales are not sufficiently accurate in the under 500# range to be useful. 10% off could put you at 550#. Better to learn the bathroom scale system.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I would just recommend being careful about exceeding the 5,000 lb limit listed by Subaru. I know that the engineers were conservative at 5k, but going over that amount could affect handling and warranty. My 2020 Limited with factory hitch (no equalizer hitch!), handled 4K lbs with ease. You are at 35,000 miles, but you still have many miles to go on Subaru power train coverage.
Yeah, the Dodge Nitro was to help a friend. I went 45mph max and took back roads 8 miles.

The Tesla is new to me and I pulled it to the track once. It's heavier than my Mustang (by 1000lbs) but so much faster on the track.

I have the CyberTruk on order, but gotta wait it out (only 1,567,000 people in front of me). So I'm careful but I should be able to tow it the short 40 mile jaunts to/from the track a few times a year.

Nice thing is I can perfectly balance the car on the trailer, so it handles great even with all the extra weight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, the Dodge Nitro was to help a friend. I went 45mph max and took back roads 8 miles.

The Tesla is new to me and I pulled it to the track once. It's heavier than my Mustang (by 1000lbs) but so much faster on the track.

I have the CyberTruk on order, but gotta wait it out (only 1,567,000 people in front of me). So I'm careful but I should be able to tow it the short 40 mile jaunts to/from the track a few times a year.

Nice thing is I can perfectly balance the car on the trailer, so it handles great even with all the extra weight.
Sounds like you have an approach that works for you. I don’t doubt that the car can handle the loads at the weights you listed, and I believe that the Subaru engineers designed the cars for greater loads than 5K, but I want to be careful not to encourage anyone to get into a potential warranty (or safety) problem outside the Subaru envelope. You clearly know what you are doing and how to balance and manage loads and speeds. I have been towing for decades with all kinds of vehicles (sounds like you have lots of experience, too), but there are others on this forum who are new to the experience, hence my advice is within Subaru’s safety/warranty envelope.

·
Registered
8 Posts
@Jmkj

A member of this site tried to get the Better Weigh to work with the Ascent and was unsuccessful. They even worked with the manufacturer to work out the kinks.

The hitch mounted scales are not sufficiently accurate in the under 500# range to be useful. 10% off could put you at 550#. Better to learn the bathroom scale system.
[/QUOTE
Ok. There are a variety of ways to stay within the 500 lbs, including a scale. I hope that the person who had the problem with Better Weigh will update us on progress, alternatives considered, and lessons-learned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can always put about 6-700#'s of sand bags, mulch or similar into the back and see how much rear drop you get. Of course you also need to have the passenger seats loaded like you will when towing because loads ahead of the rear axle lowers the front suspension and you need to approximate the load as closely as possible.

I also prefer fixed drops for lower weight and fewer connection points to add rattles.
I concur with you on fixed drops. Less weight, no rattles, etc. There are some light weight options—which I have not tried—but maybe others can comment on. For example, Andersen Adjustable Ball Mount with a 5 1/2” drop. Has anyone used this or something like it?

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
I concur with you on fixed drops. Less weight, no rattles, etc. There are some light weight options—which I have not tried—but maybe others can comment on. For example, Andersen Adjustable Ball Mount with a 5 1/2” drop. Has anyone used this or something like it?
I use the Curt 6 inch adjustable drop ball mount. It's a heavy 26.5 pounds (with 2" cut off the shank). OEM is 13.9 pounds. Aluminum ones with a 6" adjustable drop go from 15-23 pounds.

I'm ok with the extra 12.4 pounds for my ball mount - but I have a ridiculously low tongue weight.

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,267 Posts
6" drop puts the ball at about 19", give or take, without weight. So if you have some "real" tongue weight on there, you can anticipate needing to move more toward the 4-5" drop when hauling. I agree that an adjustable setup can make a lot of sense, especially when someone needs to work with multiple trailers or of the load will be variable.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use the Curt 6 inch adjustable drop ball mount. It's a heavy 26.5 pounds (with 2" cut off the shank). OEM is 13.9 pounds. Aluminum ones with a 6" adjustable drop go from 15-23 pounds.

I'm ok with the extra 12.4 pounds for my ball mount - but I have a ridiculously low tongue weight.

View attachment 12590
I actually weighed the ball mount that came with my factory hitch and it weighed 17.8 pounds so the curt is only about 9 pounds difference.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Why did you cut 2" off, won't it fit as is?
View attachment 12590
Why did you cut 2" off won't it fit as is?

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Why did you cut 2" off won't it fit as is?
It bumped my full sized spare (but not my donut). I also wanted to make a hole closer to the ball mount end, but, couldn't get access to a drill press and the right bit to do it (so, no closer hole has been made yet).

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
No, not really, but I wanted to make it more closely match the OEM ball mount.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have towed twice with my 2020 Limited with factory hitch and wiring. One load was 4,000 and the other was 3,500. Hitch weight in both cases about 400, plus, I made sure that the load weight in the trailer was slightly higher in the front than in the rear. My experience in both cases was excellent. The car handled it well and had ample power. I had planned to keep speeds around 60, but crept up on the freeway a couple of times to 70 with no trouble. I was able to pass slower trucks with ease. The car never overheated (never heated above average temps with no tow load) and deliver around 17 mpg towing. Yes, mpg drops with a big load like I had. Note that the car is rated for up to 5K lbs, and, in my opinion, my 2020 Limited with the factory hitch would handle it well. Frankly, the car exceeded my expectations. I have many years of towing experience with big GM and Ford V-8 engines. While the Ascent engine isn’t a big V-8, it performs surprisingly well. The tranny handled the loads admirably.
Hi, I am new to the forum. I just purchased a Ascent Touring 2021. The travel trailer I am considering buying is 21 ft 11 in, wt is 4675 and hitch wt is 480. If I am careful with adding weight do you think this is to heavy? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
865 Posts
Hi, I am new to the forum. I just purchased a Ascent Touring 2021. The travel trailer I am considering buying is 21 ft 11 in, wt is 4675 and hitch wt is 480. If I am careful with adding weight do you think this is to heavy? Thank you in advance.
Is that unloaded or gross? If it's unloaded, you're overweight as soon as you fill the refrigerator, cabinets and closets. Others have also found that 22' is very long for the Ascent.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ascent Premium
142 Posts
Although the numbers are 5000/500, I wouldn't buy anything that was >4000/400 to make sure there was enough room for all my crap. Obviously there's some wiggle room there, but bumping up against the weight limits dry is a little scary.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts