·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for anyone that can give me info on how Assent handles towing 3500 lbs

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
Unless it's not odd shaped (eg: square, or sail shaped, etc), pretty easily. I would only use the OEM hitch (it's the only hitch that's integrated into the Ascent's frame rails and the only one that is crash tested).

I tow this (over 4,100 pounds in this photo)...

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
Yes, regardless of differing state regulations, the Ascent requires then on all trailers over 1,000 pounds.

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
Empty, yes. But once you exceed 1,000 pounds, you will need trailer brakes.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
865 Posts
Here is a really good video demonstrating the Ascent's towing. It is from a really good source IMHO (Driving Sports).

Where was that filmed? There's an A-10 Warthog on the tarmac.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have towed twice with my 2020 Limited with factory hitch and wiring. One load was 4,000 and the other was 3,500. Hitch weight in both cases about 400, plus, I made sure that the load weight in the trailer was slightly higher in the front than in the rear. My experience in both cases was excellent. The car handled it well and had ample power. I had planned to keep speeds around 60, but crept up on the freeway a couple of times to 70 with no trouble. I was able to pass slower trucks with ease. The car never overheated (never heated above average temps with no tow load) and deliver around 17 mpg towing. Yes, mpg drops with a big load like I had. Note that the car is rated for up to 5K lbs, and, in my opinion, my 2020 Limited with the factory hitch would handle it well. Frankly, the car exceeded my expectations. I have many years of towing experience with big GM and Ford V-8 engines. While the Ascent engine isn’t a big V-8, it performs surprisingly well. The tranny handled the loads admirably.

·
Registered
867 Posts

Mine tows everything like a champ! Over 5,000 miles of towing now even though I only have 35,000 on my Ascent.

Pop up is 3,800lbs
Mustang + trailer is 4,500
Dodge Nitro + trailer is 5,900 lbs
Tesla + trailer is 5750lbs

Always handled well with no issues at all.

But yes, always with trailer brakes!!

·
Registered
8 Posts

Mine tows everything like a champ! Over 5,000 miles of towing now even though I only have 35,000 on my Ascent.

Pop up is 3,800lbs
Mustang + trailer is 4,500
Dodge Nitro + trailer is 5,900 lbs
Tesla + trailer is 5750lbs

Always handled well with no issues at all.

But yes, always with trailer brakes!!
I would just recommend being careful about exceeding the 5,000 lb limit listed by Subaru. I know that the engineers were conservative at 5k, but going over that amount could affect handling and warranty. My 2020 Limited with factory hitch (no equalizer hitch!), handled 4K lbs with ease. You are at 35,000 miles, but you still have many miles to go on Subaru power train coverage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If the Ascent has a 5000 pound towing and 500 pound hitch weight will the rear end settle with that 500 pounds or will the suspension keep the ball at the same height, 19"? I realize that you shouldn't max out the limits but I'm just rounding out the numbers. I have ordered a 19" Escape trailer and a 19" ball height is recommended to keep it level, I'm just trying to figure out if I need to get a different ball mount to compensate for the hitch weight or will the suspension maintain the ball height up to 500 pounds.

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
Yes, any weight in the Ascent makes the suspension compress, like any other car. I use an adjustable ball mount because I tow a big trailer, which can have a pretty variable tongue weight due to the large amount of cargo volume it can carry.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
865 Posts
If the Ascent has a 5000 pound towing and 500 pound hitch weight will the rear end settle with that 500 pounds or will the suspension keep the ball at the same height, 19"? I realize that you shouldn't max out the limits but I'm just rounding out the numbers. I have ordered a 19" Escape trailer and a 19" ball height is recommended to keep it level, I'm just trying to figure out if I need to get a different ball mount to compensate for the hitch weight or will the suspension maintain the ball height up to 500 pounds.
The ball height will be lower at 500#. Have you ever put 500# in the cargo area. There's a slight drop in the rear height. Are you going to Canada for the pickup? That best bet is too buy or borrow an adjustable height ball mount and then when you know the needed height you can buy a fixed drop mount if you prefer.

Those are beautiful trailers. Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The ball height will be lower at 500#. Have you ever put 500# in the cargo area. There's a slight drop in the rear height. Are you going to Canada for the pickup? That best bet is too buy or borrow an adjustable height ball mount and then when you know the needed height you can buy a fixed drop mount if you prefer.

Thanks, I'm still a year away from pick up but trying to get the weight sorted out. Borrowing an adjustable hitch might work, I was trying to avoid more weight, they're quite heavy.

·
Registered
8 Posts

It is important to know the dry or unloaded hitch or tongue weight of your trailer. And, you want hitch height unloaded to be higher than your loaded hitch height. Ideally, you can use the load to drop your hitch height with your load because you must have more weight in the front of your trailer than in the back to avoid a trailer that sways and pulls poorly. Now, let me suggest a useful tool. I don’t work for this company (see quote from company, below), but at least look into this or other useful products:

“Tongue Weight
The BetterWeigh™ is a digital trailer tongue weight scale. It helps you keep the tongue weight within the hitch and vehicle’s rated capacities. It also allows you to compare the tongue weight to the total trailer weight to verify that the trailer is properly loaded (tongue weight should be 10-15% of gross trailer weight).”

Please give this or other similar products your consideration and tow safely. My Ascent tows like a champ. The Subaru engineers did a great job, and the car can really do the job if you have their factory setup. My car is a 2020 Limited and it exceeded my expectations. So, stay within the numbers 5000 lbs and 500 tongue weight, with your load heavier toward the front, with electric brakes, and have a wonderful trip!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts