Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As we are finishing up a 2500 mile trip towing our Intech Sol Horizon, I wanted to share a couple of thoughts on the Ascent when it comes to towing.
We traveled from Charleston SC up to the Hudson valley, into Lake Placid, NY and back down. Incredible trip and some great mountain biking as well.
Our trailer weighed in at 3725 total weight with a 470lb hitch weight.
The Ascent has done incredible. For anyone wondering about it's abilities and especially the CVT I will now say after 10 months of ownership and about 4000 total towing miles (13200 total on car) it works incredibly well.
I never thought I would be a fan of the CVT but this entire trip has changede me.
It is always in the power band, no typical hunting for gears like a traditional auto would do.
During climbs it simply increases RPM's as needed and stays there-smooth and constant.
We have avg. right at 14.3 mpg for the trip towing.
Only modifications I have done to our Ascent is swapped the factory tires for at set of Falken Wildpeak A/T trails.
Great tire, esp in the muddy conditions we found.

Anyway for anyone wondering about towing within the prescribed limits of the Ascent I could not recommend it enough.
Seats are great as well. Overall a wonderful tow and road trip car.

one pic from our last stop in Hagerstown Maryland

Administrator
Pics or it didn't happen!!! 馃ぃ

No, seriously, pics of that trailer would be nice if you wouldn't mind sharing, and your thoughts on it. Looks great on their site.

Registered
I concur. I tow a boat pushing close to 4000k for a 400 mile round trip several times a summer. Does great. That said, I ordered an F-150 which is currently delayed by chip shortage. Keeping the Ascent, its my wife's. Definitely over the Ascent's payload with the family, dog and gear.... We tend to bring the kitchen sink with us.

Registered
I鈥檇 tow my Waverunner with the Ascent, but not my teardrop trailer. Most recent trip towing the teardrop with my Ridgeline I got a bit over 22mpg on around 500 miles. Less than 15mpg from the Ascent is pretty poor, IMO. (Although OP trailer may be 500lbs heavier than mine)

Registered
I concur. I tow a boat pushing close to 4000k for a 400 mile round trip several times a summer. Does great. That said, I ordered an F-150 which is currently delayed by chip shortage. Keeping the Ascent, its my wife's. Definitely over the Ascent's payload with the family, dog and gear.... We tend to bring the kitchen sink with us.

View attachment 12918
Drew - nice boat! Yeah, 4000 pounds about right ... Robalo 180, right?

Juse sold my Key West 239, then sold the truck I had bought to tow it. The Admiral didn鈥檛 like the level of effort, so going to garage boat - R180 was one option, as is the soon to be produced KW179 ... both would just barely fit with a folding tongue.

Sounds like you were ok with the Ascent? Any real 鈥渂uts?鈥

Registered
Drew - nice boat! Yeah, 4000 pounds about right ... Robalo 180, right?

Juse sold my Key West 239, then sold the truck I had bought to tow it. The Admiral didn鈥檛 like the level of effort, so going to garage boat - R180 was one option, as is the soon to be produced KW179 ... both would just barely fit with a folding tongue.

Sounds like you were ok with the Ascent? Any real 鈥渂uts?鈥

Yes, Robalo R180 - great boat, I just wish it was the R242!

The only minor "but" is the gas mileage, 12mpg. Seriously though I'm towing, bikes on the roof, at max payload, 12mpg is what it is. I've do this trip a few times a year, and I noticed that my MPG have gotten slightly better. First time the Ascent probably had 13k on it, and I needed to fuel up on the trip. Now at 41k, I can make it without a fuel stop, albeit the light comes on close to the destination.

I monitor the oil temp and it sometimes creeps up to the low 230s. Much higher than normal driving.

One thing I do hate is the RAB and that it must be switched off every time I back the boat down a ramp. Methinks the Subaru engineers overlooked that this will be an annoyance for those towing boats.

Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
One thing I do hate is the RAB and that it must be switched off every time I back the boat down a ramp. Methinks the Subaru engineers overlooked that this will be an annoyance for those towing boats.
Towing is a "secondary" purpose for the vehicle but yes, RAB can be annoying. But RAB is an extremely important safety feature that has a primary purpose of avoiding running over people, especially very small ones, while backing up. I believe that's why it's a little harder to disable than many folks would prefer. With my utility trailer, it only triggers once on the first backup maneuver and overriding with the skinny pedal seems to disable it formally until I turn off the Ascent.

Reactions: latapx

Registered
Whew, yeah, big decrease, but engine needs a lot more fuel for the doubling of the weight.

My KW239 took my 2017 Chevy Silverado with 6.2L from the usual 20-22 mpg highway down to 10-11 mpg ... the boat/trailer also more than doubled the weight of the truck. Robalos are pretty heavily built ... a comparable length in KW design is around 2000# (averaging KW 176 and 189).

What kind of roads and how fast were you when getting 12 mpg?

Registered
I tow a teardrop with weight about 3800 and get horrible gas mileage: 9mpg on interstates, going 60mph. Do a little better on back roads. The Ascent tows well, but the mpg is a big disappointment.

Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
I tow a teardrop with weight about 3800 and get horrible gas mileage: 9mpg on interstates, going 60mph. Do a little better on back roads. The Ascent tows well, but the mpg is a big disappointment.
The Ascent's fuel consumption is a byproduct of giving a 4600# vehicle the ability to "punch above it's weight". Traditionally a 2.4l four cylinder would not tow a 5000# trailer. I bought the Ascent because it could tow 5000# when and if I needed it to. My boat/trailer is 3500+# and the Ascent tows it like it's not even there, except for using more fuel. I'd like to try a travel trailer occasionally, but if it were more than occasional, I'd get a heavy duty truck.

The Ascent is the best of both worlds. Capable of competitive highway mileage when used as a passenger vehicle, capable of being a tow vehicle when needed.

Registered
Whew, yeah, big decrease, but engine needs a lot more fuel for the doubling of the weight.

My KW239 took my 2017 Chevy Silverado with 6.2L from the usual 20-22 mpg highway down to 10-11 mpg ... the boat/trailer also more than doubled the weight of the truck. Robalos are pretty heavily built ... a comparable length in KW design is around 2000# (averaging KW 176 and 189).

What kind of roads and how fast were you when getting 12 mpg?
Highway, traveling about 65, with usually some traffic mixed in.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How big is your trailer? Is it considerably taller than the Ascent? 9mpg is pretty rough for that speed in my opinion. Do you tow in the mountains a lot or flat land?

Registered
We have a 2020 Ascent that tows our 2021 Teardrop [email protected] 320CS Boondock very well.(TAB CS Camper 2021 - nuCamp RV ) Fully loaded it is about 2900 lbs. There is a direct coloration to speed and wind on varying MPG. Heading into wind usually is cause of the lower range. Below are Highway/freeway driving.
@ 70MPH we drop down to 9-9.5 MPG
@ 65MPH we average 11-13.5
@ 60MPH we found the sweet spot of 14-18MPG
@ 55 MPH we got 15-19MPG

We figured above from our 5900 mile round trip from Iowa to Key West this last June.
We like our Ascent very much, both for the towing ability and overall versatility.

Registered
Towing will affect EVERY vehicle, no matter the size or engine. I could get 17mpg on the highway out of my suburban...towing a pontoon boat, 9. i could get 18mpg out of my ecoboost f150 on the highway, towing a race car, 11. There is no way around it folks. You are doubling the weight you are pulling as well as the FRONTAL area of the vehicle.

Force of drag = coefficient of drag (goes up horribly when towing) * ((air density * velocity squared)/2) * frontal area

This is why a Corvette with an LS will do 28 mpg on the highway but a suburban with the same engine does 19 mpg...Cd and frontal area!!!

Registered

View attachment 12918
What is the model of your ROBALO boat?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts