Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Premium > Geo Pro 19FD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody used an Ascent to tow one of these models? We're taking delivery of this RV as soon as the factory can pump it out (March? April 2021?) and would like to hear any and all advice you have on how to manage it: brake controllers? keeping the tongue weight well below 500 lbs? battery choices? clip-on trailer towing mirrors? anything else??

Mode of transport Transport Rim Automotive wheel system Machine

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,843 Posts
Yes, you need a brake controller and yes you need to keep your tongue weight below 500 lbs, but also within the safe range for your trailer. Keep in mind that you cannot use WDH with the Ascent, either. See the sticky post at the top of this forum area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks @Jim_in_PA , yes that WDH warning is super-important! I had actually ordered one with my RV before I saw @Robert.Mauro 's excellent sticky post on this forum warning against it.

I do know how important it is to keep the tongue weight below 500 lbs, and that can be tricky with these 20 ft Geo Pro / E-Pro models fully-loaded. Forest River measures their dry tongue weight at 418 but I'm thinking with careful loading and shifting weight behind the axle it can be done safely. So, I'm just asking if anyone else has pioneered that path and if they have tips on how they usually adjust the Geo Pro / E-Pro weight. (I plan to buy a Sherline LM 1000 scale to use with Camco Leveling Blocks to make sure ours is in the right range every time we pull out.)

Likewise, I'm shopping for a brake controller. I have the OEM tow package on my Ascent and although I really like the simpler, cleaner controls/display of the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite ($224), I'm following the herd to Tekonsha. The Tekonsha Primus IQ ($72) would probably enough for the Ascent + Geo Pro but I'm thinking the Tekonsha Prodigy P2 ($114) with the Tekonsha 3062-P wiring adapter ($16) will give me more flexibility in where I mount the box. Again, I'm hoping other Geo Pro / E-Pro owners may have tips from their brake controller experience.

We are experienced tent campers / backpackers but total newbies when it comes to RVs, so I welcome and and all advice...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can find some info on someone towing a 19FBS here -

Just search for Geo on the page or select and browse from the type of trailer.
Thanks @Ken Myers -- I did find @flysquasher using this link and will reach out for more info. Btw, a huge kudos to you, Ken as we read all of your "Thoughts on Towing" posts carefully and worked through your Excel sample Ascent-towing-example.xls before we decided on the Geo Pro. Actually, your example almost scared me away, but I'm glad I was forced to face the hitch weight problem before I bought, rather than after. :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have the redarc and love the simple interface, but if you like the tekonsha product line consider the tekonsha RF it requires installation onto the trailer tongue and uses a handheld plugged into vehicle power aux port as an interface. Our trailer had one already installed when we bought it, and it works great, if we could have returned the redarc we would have kept the RF system.

The standard tekonsha controllers do require mounting a control box inside and many have ordered a new fuse cover door in order to remove it when not in use. A cheap solution for mounting and keeping it out of the way.

The geo series trailers don't have special loading problems and camping gear is user specific. I would recommend dry camping runs at a local park or resort so you can get a look at what you need that you didn't pack and what you don't need from what you did pack.

Then familiarize yourself with your holding tank locations so you can add or subtract weight with them when storage is used up.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
4 Posts
We’re expecting our new E Pro 19BH to arrive within two weeks. We have a 2019 Ascent Touring and have researched the heck out of gross weights, tongue weights, solar and a lot of other things. Even though it’s just my wife and me, we chose the bunkhouse model because it has a lot of storage in the front and back so we can distribute the weight to keep the tongue weight around 500. I’ve already purchased more solar panels, 2kw inverter/charger and (2) Battle Born lithium batteries (much lighter than lead-acids and can be located in the rear storage). Getting rid of the two lead-acid batteries on the tongue will remove about 100 pounds. The two lithium batteries with the inverter/charger are a little over 100 pounds and will be located in the rear of the trailer. Our gross weight on the trailer will be about 4000 pounds. Using the 10% to 15% tongue weight rule of thumb, 500 pounds on the tongue is 12.5%, which should be good. To insure we’re loaded properly for every trip, I’ve purchased a hitch with a weight scale built-in.

The 19FBS is a nice layout with the slide, but we went with the 19BH (no slide) because of the weight reduction. I feel the Ascent would handle the FBS okay, it’s just that we want to take some extended trips across the country and less weight = less wear on the Suby.

·
Registered
4 Posts
One more thing... I went with the Redarc break controller. Very easy to install.
We picked up the E19BH a few days ago and towed from PA. Stayed a night in VA and then drove home to NC. The Ascent pulled the E Pro very well. I kept the speed at 60 to 62 MPH on the Interstates. I did accidently make it up to 70 MPH for a bit. The CVT is well suited for towing. I had installed a hitch with built-in scale and kept the tongue weight under 500 pounds (around 450). Just used a standard towbar (no WD or sway control). You do notice passing trucks but nothing dramatic. The Redarc brake controller worked well. It did kill our gas mileage though. Usually get about 23 MPG on highway but 11 MPG with E Pro. It never felt like the Ascent was straining although it does go to some higher RPMs on hills.

I'm happy with the combination of the Ascent with the E Pro.

We took a trip last weekend to Stone Mountain State Park in NC. No problems towing. Made it up the mountain easily.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We picked up the E19BH a few days ago and towed from PA. Stayed a night in VA and then drove home to NC. The Ascent pulled the E Pro very well. I kept the speed at 60 to 62 MPH on the Interstates. I did accidently make it up to 70 MPH for a bit. The CVT is well suited for towing. I had installed a hitch with built-in scale and kept the tongue weight under 500 pounds (around 450). Just used a standard towbar (no WD or sway control). You do notice passing trucks but nothing dramatic. The Redarc brake controller worked well. It did kill our gas mileage though. Usually get about 23 MPG on highway but 11 MPG with E Pro. It never felt like the Ascent was straining although it does go to some higher RPMs on hills.

I'm happy with the combination of the Ascent with the E Pro.

We took a trip last weekend to Stone Mountain State Park in NC. No problems towing. Made it up the mountain easily.
We just got our 19BH today. So once we do some driveway camping we’ll post some pictures when we actually make it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd love to know more on your experiences. Data is so conflicting. On paper it looks great but then I worry about tow hitch weight. How have things been going?

·
Registered
37 Posts

Towed it up to the CAT scale after we got it so I knew how much weight we had and how to load it. The Ascent did an incredible job.

·
Registered
37 Posts
How much did the hitch weight end up being?
Did it without putting much more than 15 pounds in it. Otherwise as it came from dealer: 2 full propane tanks, 42 pound junky battery, 53 pounds in pass through and our hitch was exactly 500. We wont be putting much more in the passthrough and will be putting stuff under the bunks so we should ve good but will reweigh after loading it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts