Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In February we purchased a 19' Travel Trailer (Sonic 190VRB, by Venture), and an Ascent 2019 Premium with the tow package. The Trailer loaded weighed just about 4000lbs, and the Ascent was lightly loaded with just the two of us. I have trailered several other rigs in the past and this combination was simply fantastic! We traveled a total of 2154 miles from Vancouver WA. to West Yellowstone. The Ascent was able to keep up with trucks and other vehicles, up to speeds of 75mph at times. I could pass trucks that slowed to 50 up 8+ degree grades with no problem at all. The engine ran between 1700 and 2500 rpm most of the time, only revving to 4000 a few times when passing on a grade. Our overall mileage was 12.2 mpg, not bad considering people with trucks were telling me they were getting 10 or less with similar tow weights. I can say that I was very impressed with this car and trailer. Note, that I changed the oil at 3800 miles just before leaving and did not use a drop. I am totally please with the Ascent in every way, everything works the way it should, no issues at all. This was my 3rd Subaru in 5 years, love the cars, we also have a 2015 Outback.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks so much for the useful information.
The Sonic 190VRB was high on my list, but I was worried about the weight. What does YOUR 190VRB note the unloaded vehicle weight (UVW) as? It should be on your trailer on a sticker. When doing my research, I saw UVWs ranging from 3530 lb. to 3720 lb.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,841 Posts
You may want to post this down in the Towing discussion area for broader view. 'Glad you had a nice towing experience!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the useful information.
The Sonic 190VRB was high on my list, but I was worried about the weight. What does YOUR 190VRB note the unloaded vehicle weight (UVW) as? It should be on your trailer on a sticker. When doing my research, I saw UVWs ranging from 3530 lb. to 3720 lb.
UVW is 3720, we love the trailer!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thank you so much! I thought that it might be doable, but wasn't too sure. That is why I went with the lighter, single axle Coachmen 187RB, but yours was very, very high on my list.

I wish you many, many days of happy camping with it. :)

I'm very glad that you shared this information with us.

Thank you, thank you!

·
Registered
19 Posts
That is awesome, mtilka. Thanks for this.

Just curious if you kept an eye on oil temps when hauling your rig up grades. When I hauled my cargo trailer camper conversion (about 6 ft wide by 8 ft high frontal area weighing in about shy of 2000#), going up a 3+ mile grade I saw temps as high as 238 F. I am interested to know how your oil temps faired.

Edit: Forgot to mention I would be doing 60-65 up those grades - driving in hilly Penn interstate 84.

·
Registered
573 Posts
That is awesome, mtilka. Thanks for this.

Just curious if you kept an eye on oil temps when hauling your rig up grades. When I hauled my cargo trailer camper conversion (about 6 ft wide by 8 ft high frontal area weighing in about shy of 2000#), going up a 3+ mile grade I saw temps as high as 238 F. I am interested to know how your oil temps faired.

Edit: Forgot to mention I would be doing 60-65 up those grades - driving in hilly Penn interstate 84.
Were you monitoring CVT fluid temps or engine oil temps? What were you using as a monitor?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was monitoring Engine Oil temps from the center LCD screen above the infotainment. I have the Limited trim. I think anything below 250 would be fair game and may get an earlier oil change depending on how often I haul. Already gone on a few camping trips already.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In February we purchased a 19' Travel Trailer (Sonic 190VRB, by Venture), and an Ascent 2019 Premium with the tow package. The Trailer loaded weighed just about 4000lbs, and the Ascent was lightly loaded with just the two of us. I have trailered several other rigs in the past and this combination was simply fantastic! We traveled a total of 2154 miles from Vancouver WA. to West Yellowstone. The Ascent was able to keep up with trucks and other vehicles, up to speeds of 75mph at times. I could pass trucks that slowed to 50 up 8+ degree grades with no problem at all. The engine ran between 1700 and 2500 rpm most of the time, only revving to 4000 a few times when passing on a grade. Our overall mileage was 12.2 mpg, not bad considering people with trucks were telling me they were getting 10 or less with similar tow weights. I can say that I was very impressed with this car and trailer. Note, that I changed the oil at 3800 miles just before leaving and did not use a drop. I am totally please with the Ascent in every way, everything works the way it should, no issues at all. This was my 3rd Subaru in 5 years, love the cars, we also have a 2015 Outback.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good info. I have a similar set up, Premium Ascent and a 18 ' Rpod. I'm new to towing and not sure if what I'm experiencing is normal. It seems to require my full attention to stay within the lane. I don't have sway bars. Do you turn the lane assist off? Any other tips are appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
If having difficulty holding a line, make sure the tongue weight is correct for the total weight of the towed load.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
If having difficulty holding a line, make sure the tongue weight is correct for the total weight of the towed load.
Correct , the tongue weight should be 10-12% of the total weight of the trailer and all its cargo. If not you can get sway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2019 Premium with the factory hitch and P3 break controller. We are picking up a Forest River 19FBS trailer next week. UVW 3075, Dry Hitch Weight 413, 7' 4'' Wide. I'll keep hitch weight to <500 lbs. Is there anything I need to disable or turn off on the Ascent to trailer it? Or any other guidance you can give? I'll be just driving it home from the dealer, ~ 120 miles as our 1st trip.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
I have a 2019 Premium with the factory hitch and P3 break controller. We are picking up a Forest River 19FBS trailer next week. UVW 3075, Dry Hitch Weight 413, 7' 4'' Wide. I'll keep hitch weight to <500 lbs. Is there anything I need to disable or turn off on the Ascent to trailer it? Or any other guidance you can give? I'll be just driving it home from the dealer, ~ 120 miles as our 1st trip.
Turn off Lane Keep Assist. Look into strap on side mirror extensions that strap around the stock mirrors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Turn off Lane Keep Assist. Look into strap on side mirror extensions that strap around the stock mirrors.
Thanks!! I'll turn off the Lane Keep Assist (have to find it). I'll look into the mirrors too. I have the rear observation camera installed on the camper so will help with what is happening behind us.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
If you keep the tongue weight closer 10 percent of the total loaded trailer weight, that's less weight on the rear end of the Ascent. At a total loaded trailer weight of 4000 you could run 400 to 500 lb tongue weight. IMO, 400 would be preferable.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
One other real quick. Anything for backing up the trailer? Like Reverse Automatic Braking?
If the Ascent doesn't do so automatically, then, yes, you need to turn that off too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts