Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked up our Sol Horizon last week after selling our Scamp 16.
huge difference in interior space to say the least. Went this route as we liked the all aluminum frame and trailer fully welded over typical steel trailer and screwed walls etc.
Comes in at around 3500lbs loaded with what I would guess is about 400lb tongue weight.
The empty specs are about 460lbs on the tongue but all the storage is behind the axle. In addition we have a 30lb bike rack installed in the receiver hitch long with a 28lb bike.
Seeing 15mpg and great towing characteristics.
really happy with the upgrade.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I live full-time in a 5th wheel but sold my truck as I don't pull this thing enough to justify the monthly expenses of maintaining a one ton pickup anymore (I'll just pay someone to move it if I decide to move). But, I like to back my Ascent up to the 5th wheel hitch and pretend like I'm hooking the coach up. I get weird looks from all the short, small peen'd men with their giant ******* vehicles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got back from a 4 day, 400 mile trip towing the Horizon. Towed beautifully. With the storage in the rear I towed with a 380lb hitch weight and the Ascent did great. Averaged 15.2 mpg with interstate and two lane road driving. 60 on the interstate and 55 on two lane roads.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sa2020, you are correct with the listed tongue weight. The trailer is designed with all storage behind the axle therefore it is quite easy to lessen the tongue weight with loading. In addition it comes with a receiver hitch good for 100lb capacity further reducing the tongue weight.
the

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sa2020, you are correct with the listed tongue weight. The trailer is designed with all storage behind the axle therefore it is quite easy to lessen the tongue weight with loading. In addition it comes with a receiver hitch good for 100lb capacity further reducing the tongue weight.
the
I'm looking at the Sol Dawn, as I want to tow as little weight as possible

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,197 Posts
the
Have you weighed in order to verify that tongue weight is still greater than 9% of the total trailer weight?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you weighed in order to verify that tongue weight is still greater than 9% of the total trailer weight?
Have not. As I am a numbers guy and have towed many types of trailers over the years I am quite certain that the tongue weight is the proper percentage based on how great the trailer tows. zero sway at highway speed.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Which one is that?
This may sound weird, but can you share photos of the inside. I want to see what it's like with somebody actually staying in it not the stock photos that the manufacturer displays on their website. I'm a living full-time in a fifth wheel and I can tell you that living in a fifth wheel full-time versus what the manufacturer shows is two totally different things 😂

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
This may sound weird, but can you share photos of the inside. I want to see what it's like with somebody actually staying in it not the stock photos that the manufacturer displays on their website. I'm a living full-time in a fifth wheel and I can tell you that living in a fifth wheel full-time versus what the manufacturer shows is two totally different things 😂
I'm also interested in seeing the interior, although only for curiosity as we are not camping type people here...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm also interested in seeing the interior, although only for curiosity as we are not camping type people here...
We picked up our Horizon a few weeks ago. We love it! Also towing with an Ascent. No WDH and no problems, although the weather was ideal and our 3.5 hour trip was mostly interstate. We're pretty sure the tongue is at (or slightly above) 500lbs. Just something to be aware of as you load your trailer. Here is a picture of the inside. We love all the natural light. We haven't had time to personalize it yet.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
I and I believe SA2020, were interested in seeing the Luna Lite interior, but that's also very nice, Nancy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
huge difference in interior space to say the least. Went this route as we liked the all aluminum frame and trailer fully welded over typical steel trailer and screwed walls etc.
Comes in at around 3500lbs loaded with what I would guess is about 400lb tongue weight.
The empty specs are about 460lbs on the tongue but all the storage is behind the axle. In addition we have a 30lb bike rack installed in the receiver hitch long with a 28lb bike.
really happy with the upgrade. View attachment 6566
So jealous!! I'm looking at getting the Sol Horizon as my first camper. What size/class tow hitch is needed? I can't find that info on the site. Do I need a Class III or Class IV setup? Did you get the outdoor kitchen and is this the Rover?

·
Registered
2 Posts
So jealous!! I'm looking at getting the Sol Horizon as my first camper. What size/class tow hitch is needed? I can't find that info on the site. Do I need a Class III or Class IV setup? Did you get the outdoor kitchen and is this the Rover?
Never mind. Got my answer on the Class hitch question. I've been researching so many things with RVs over the years, it's a job just to retain all the info. My dream is to live on the road in retirement but I'm going to start with weekend trips and vacations after I get one.
What things do you like so far about yours and what things don't you like?

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Never mind. Got my answer on the Class hitch question. I've been researching so many things with RVs over the years, it's a job just to retain all the info. My dream is to live on the road in retirement but I'm going to start with weekend trips and vacations after I get one.
What things do you like so far about yours and what things don't you like?
I'd only use the Subaru OEM hitch, which is Class III. The rest are greatly inferior and do not attach to the car in the way the engineers intended.

·
Registered
2 Posts
really happy with the upgrade. View attachment 6566
Hi there, so after a few trips do you still like how the Ascent tows the Horizon? I am looking at purchasing both!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts