Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking into toy haulers. Dry weight is below the 5000lb tow weight, the problem is the hitch weight is usually over 500lbs. Found a place that customs builds. Hitch weight wasn’t listed so asked what they were, was told 15-20% dry weight, was told add weight distribution hitch and it cuts the tongue by 1/2. Told him I could not use a distribution hitch, he states every car can use a weight distribution hitch. Said, sorry not ever car, Ascent Subaru you cannot put one on. He said yes you can with a class 3 hitch. My question is what is a class 3 hitch, and can it go on the Ascent?
thanks

·
Registered
577 Posts
Your asking on the wrong forum...yes the ascent has a class 3 hitch, yes Subaru still says you can't use a WDH. I think for a toy hauler you need a bigger tow vehicle most of those run up to 7k lb gvwr at least.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Been looking into toy haulers. Dry weight is below the 5000lb tow weight, the problem is the hitch weight is usually over 500lbs. Found a place that customs builds. Hitch weight wasn’t listed so asked what they were, was told 15-20% dry weight, was told add weight distribution hitch and it cuts the tongue by 1/2. Told him I could not use a distribution hitch, he states every car can use a weight distribution hitch. Said, sorry not ever car, Ascent Subaru you cannot put one on. He said yes you can with a class 3 hitch. My question is what is a class 3 hitch, and can it go on the Ascent?
thanks
Unless you're getting an ultralight toy hauler (and they exist but are generally more expensive), you're best served with another tow vehicle. The guy you're talking to isn't very knowledgeable. A WDH does not solve a trailer overweight problem, and absolutely positively does not change the fact that you'd be overweight on tongue weight. While a WDH will distribute the weight forward to split it more evenly on the axles, the tongue weight still remains the same. He should know better. The downward force of the trailer is still the same.

And yes, he's wrong about "all cars being able to use a WDH" - there's a few luxury brand that have similar tow specs to ours who've had techs reporting bent or damaged unibodies due to the use of WDHs against the manufacturer recommendations. I've posted links in the past in other threads.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your asking on the wrong forum...yes the ascent has a class 3 hitch, yes Subaru still says you can't use a WDH. I think for a toy hauler you need a bigger tow vehicle most of those run up to 7k lb gvwr at least.
Sorry I thought I posted in the right forum, that’s my mistakes for posting so late at night. Thanks for input. was hoping to find one small enough to haul.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unless you're getting an ultralight toy hauler (and they exist but are generally more expensive), you're best served with another tow vehicle. The guy you're talking to isn't very knowledgeable. A WDH does not solve a trailer overweight problem, and absolutely positively does not change the fact that you'd be overweight on tongue weight. While a WDH will distribute the weight forward to split it more evenly on the axles, the tongue weight still remains the same. He should know better. The downward force of the trailer is still the same.

And yes, he's wrong about "all cars being able to use a WDH" - there's a few luxury brand that have similar tow specs to ours who've had techs reporting bent or damaged unibodies due to the use of WDHs against the manufacturer recommendations. I've posted links in the past in other threads.
Thank you, I don’t know anything about WDH because there is no need to look into. Just curious is a class 3 hitch a different kind of WDH system? I find it odd, we can’t put them on the cars but he directed me to the site where it ask make and model of car and then it shows you which one for your car, this is what came up for the Ascent. I really did like the idea of a toy hauler with dogs. Back door can be enclosed and used as a patio also giving extra footage. I am so happy I belong to this forum, I have learned so much. Sometimes as dumb as my questions may be, you never make me feel dumb asking them, I just wanted you to know I really appreciate it. Thank You!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,900 Posts
Class three hitch just means it's only rated to 5000 lbs. It has nothing to do with a WDH. WDH uses leverage to shift tongue weight from the rear axle of a tow vehicle to the front axle to rebalance the tongue weight. It does NOT reduce tongue weight as has been stated. In fact, it increases tongue weight because WDH, itself, is generally quite heavy. Subaru does not permit using a WDH with the Ascent and engineered the vehicle to tow safely up to the 5000 lb load/500 lb tongue weight limits without one.

If the place you mention makes custom trailers, they conceivably should be able to design and build one that is not so tongue heavy by shifting the trailer axles forward slightly to reduce tongue weight. It's all about design. There are limits, however, and it still requires you to carefully load the trailer with your "toys" so that the weight is properly balanced to maintain the desired tongue weight without materially affecting stability.

BTW, your thread is currently in the correct place...perhaps it was posted elsewhere and was moved here.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Class three hitch just means it's only rated to 5000 lbs. It has nothing to do with a WDH. WDH uses leverage to shift tongue weight from the rear axle of a tow vehicle to the front axle to rebalance the tongue weight. It does NOT reduce tongue weight as has been stated. In fact, it increases tongue weight because WDH, itself, is generally quite heavy. Subaru does not permit using a WDH with the Ascent and engineered the vehicle to tow safely up to the 5000 lb load/500 lb tongue weight limits without one.

If the place you mention makes custom trailers, they conceivably should be able to design and build one that is not so tongue heavy by shifting the trailer axles forward slightly to reduce tongue weight. It's all about design. There are limits, however, and it still requires you to carefully load the trailer with your "toys" so that the weight is properly balanced to maintain the desired tongue weight without materially affecting stability.

BTW, your thread is currently in the correct place...perhaps it was posted elsewhere and was moved here.
Ok so a Class 3 is just a hitch. So he wanted me to put a class 3 and then a WDH, According to him which cut tongue weight in 1/2 🤦🏻‍♀️ got it. It’s to bad people don’t hire people that are knowledgeable, I don’t think he like me saying ”sorry not every car can use a WDH“. 😂😂 Thanks Jim, always enjoy your input. Ruben must have moved it for me! Thanks Ruben

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Ok so a Class 3 is just a hitch. So he wanted me to put a class 3 and then a WDH, According to him which cut tongue weight in 1/2 🤦🏻‍♀️ got it. It’s to bad people don’t hire people that are knowledgeable, I don’t think he like me saying ”sorry not every car can use a WDH“. 😂😂 Thanks Jim, always enjoy your input. Ruben must have moved it for me! Thanks Ruben
I've received a lot of questionable advice from people selling trailers and trailer accessories, even from factory reps. I'm now discovering that the same is true for winches.

Always do your own independent research, never rely solely on anyone with a vested interest.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I didn't move anything. I was being facetious. This is not the place to discuss using one. For your purposes, you may be able to find a toy hauler that would work, but you would need to be cautious about it, since most are designed with a load intended to be in the trailer usually over or behind the axles. If all you want is a patio type sitting space, there are some smaller trailers built on a longer platform for placing a golf cart or utv ahead of the living quarters, this setup may work for you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've received a lot of questionable advice from people selling trailers and trailer accessories, even from factory reps. I'm now discovering that the same is true for winches.

Always do your own independent research, never rely solely on anyone with a vested interest.
It’s to bad it has to be like that. After researching or don’t understand something I come here, I am so thankful for this forum.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,900 Posts
What you want is the Subaru OEM hitch receiver that fully integrates into the subframe setup. It's class three, well engineered and also crash tested. The dude you were talking to clearly doesn't understand how WDH works, too.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
My opinion is don't get either of those. The OEM hitch is much better, and comes with 4 and 7 pin wiring, for only a tiny bit more money. It's an easy install.

Of the hitches in your picture:
  • Hitch #1 really hurts departure angle, and requires cutting and drilling into the Ascent. Neither is a good thing.
  • Hitch #2 bolts to the bumper bolts, instead of integrating into the frame rails as the Ascent was designed for, and has a bunch of misleading marketing that I think is inexcusable (such as the inapplicable tongue weight they list on item pages)

Thank you, I don’t know anything about WDH because there is no need to look into. Just curious is a class 3 hitch a different kind of WDH system? I find it odd, we can’t put them on the cars but he directed me to the site where it ask make and model of car and then it shows you which one for your car, this is what came up for the Ascent. I really did like the idea of a toy hauler with dogs. Back door can be enclosed and used as a patio also giving extra footage. I am so happy I belong to this forum, I have learned so much. Sometimes as dumb as my questions may be, you never make me feel dumb asking them, I just wanted you to know I really appreciate it. Thank You!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't move anything. I was being facetious. This is not the place to discuss using one. For your purposes, you may be able to find a toy hauler that would work, but you would need to be cautious about it, since most are designed with a load intended to be in the trailer usually over or behind the axles. If all you want is a patio type sitting space, there are some smaller trailers built on a longer platform for placing a golf cart or utv ahead of the living quarters, this setup may work for you.
My opinion is don't get either of those. The OEM hitch is much better, and comes with 4 and 7 pin wiring, for only a tiny bit more money. It's an easy install.

Of the hitches in your picture:
  • Hitch #1 really hurts departure angle, and requires cutting and drilling into the Ascent. Neither is a good thing.
  • Hitch #2 bolts to the bumper bolts, instead of integrating into the frame rails as the Ascent was designed for, and has a bunch of misleading marketing that I think is inexcusable (such as the inapplicable tongue weight they list on item pages)
When I bought the car I did have the OEM hitch put on. Was confused about the class 3 that he was trying to tell me I needed, was just checking to make sure I was correct. .

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
When I bought the car I did have the OEM hitch put on. Was confused about the class 3 that he was trying to tell me I needed, was just checking to make sure I was correct. .
Ah, awesome. Yes, you're all set, with a Class III hitch - the best of all the ones available for the Ascent. If he was trying to sell you another one, I'd really leave that place and never go back. Him not understanding what a WDH does is one thing (and bad enough as it is). But for him to try to sell you an inferior hitch to replace the one you already have is absurd.

May I ask what place to never send people to?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry Ruben, will try to be careful with what I ask in the future, didn't mean to come across as to wanting to use one, I never heard of it referred to as a class 3. Didn't even realized it was a hitch.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Sorry Ruben, will try to be careful with what I ask in the future, didn't mean to come across as to wanting to use one, I never heard of it referred to as a class 3. Didn't even realized it was a hitch.
@Ruben Marin is picking on me, not you. You've got nothing to apologize for, and I hope none of us have made you feel like you shouldn't ask questions. In that, I guarantee you, we all agree - please, continue to ask questions.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
@Ruben Marin is picking on me, not you. You've got nothing to apologize for, and I hope none of us have made you feel like you shouldn't ask questions. In that, I guarantee you, we all agree - please, continue to ask questions.
I agree with Robert please feel free to ask questions on this forum. That is what we are here for. I am always learning even when someone else asked a question. We appreciate your contributions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.