Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I may be taking a 3 year job in NY and I’ll have to move cross country from San Diego so I’m stuck with the dilemma of getting 2 vehicles there. The wife driving one of the cross country with a 5 month old isn’t an option, haha.

So, I know my STI will have to be on a flatbed to be towed and weighs around 3400 lbs. Not sure how much a towable flatbed that I can rent weighs but either way, is it a good idea, safe to do, and/or worth the trouble?

If I drive the Ascent and have the STI shipped, it’s like $1600. If I drive the STI (way more fun), it’s around $1800 or so to ship the Ascent.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
573 Posts

According to that page a u-haul car hauler weight 2210 lbs empty.

Here are some car haulers prices for reference. You could buy one and then resell it when your trip is complete, I would bet you would get most of your money back and come out ahead of the shipping charge.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just get a tow dolly and take off the rear driveshaft from the STi once you have it pulled up onto the dolly. I've towed a few STi's like this. I've never used our Ascent, but I don't think it'd be an issue based on my experience towing a 3000 lb. travel trailer.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I picked up a 16' BIg Tex trailer for $2200. The Big Tex are nice as they come in fairly light at 1500lbs and the ramp setup is really good. So towing my 3,030 lb Mustang is easy on that trailer. After moving you should be able to resell the trailer for what you paid or nearly so.

When loading, put 2x6's under the ramps to lower the angle a bit. Also crank up the front jack as much as possible without lifting the rear wheels of your Ascent off. This decreases the angle of approach as much as possible, so even my lowered Mustang with the bracing frames underneath doesn't hit.

Then make sure you position the car front-to-back properly to even out the load and get the tongue weight correct.

Then it should tow very nice. Yes, you'd be on the edge of towing capacity, so I'd keep your speed under 65 and take it easy in the mountains (if any). Maybe 45mph or so.

You'd still need to install a brake controller if you don't have one and you'd need some rachet tie-down straps as well.

Here's my setup at 4530 lbs. Towed from Phoenix to Josha Tree and back this way.

The 2nd pic was a trailer I borrowed before I bought mine. You can see my drop hitch wasn't matched, so the trailer isn't level. It was fine for towing across town, but you want it level for any extended towing. The weight here was 4,780 lbs. The Ascent handled both with ease.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. Not sure whether I want to try this or not. I’ve got a little bit of time to think about it and decide but thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts