Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
Looking for thoughts on using a 2020 Ascent Limited to tow a 2020/21 RPod 193 travel trailer. I was told by the RPod dealer it wasn’t possible (even though the specs of the ascent - 5,000lb tow/500lb hitch says it is). According to this thread on the Micro Minnie 2100BH (very similar option), it seems very doable, Towing a 2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2100BH?

Here are the two specs (per dealer websites). I’d also love to hear any pros and cons to both. Looking for a quality travel trailer with bunks for our family.

RPOD 193 (r-pod RP-193 | Forest River RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes)

Hitch Weight: 435 lb.
UVW: 3654 lb.
CCC: 1181 lb.

Micro Winnie 2100bh (Micro Minnie)
Dry Weight: 3,860 lbs.
GVWR: 5,000 lbs.
Hitch Weight: 430 lbs.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
7,788 Posts
If it's like other tandems I've seen, the Micro Winnie tandem axle trailer won't see as much of a tongue weight increase when loaded with water because the tanks likely mostly sit between the axles. Regardless, I'd ask the RPod dealer why he thinks it's not possible?

I like the 85% rule for any tow vehicle (get a trailer that will weigh no more than 85% of the tow vehicle's rating). And, tongue weight is very important.

A few final notes:
  • Get the OEM hitch. Don't bother getting anything else.
  • Do NOT use a WDH, no matter what any trailer dealer tells you. They can read this post if they want to know why:

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Turing Brilliant Bronze (Soon)
38 Posts
Ya, it really depends on the rig. When I had my RV, the fresh was up front, with the grey and black over the axles. Hence, as you camped, the water shifted from the front to the rear. As always it was advantageous to get water as close to the camp site as possible. If there was a dump station close to the campsite that was a huge bonus.

I prefer double axles personally on an RV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have towed a RP195 with our stock 2019 Limited without difficulty. Single axle and within 100# of the total weight of the 193 you're looking at.

I agree with the OEM hitch and wish I'd paid attention to that earlier. Might actually bite the bullet and just get it done.

Didn't know about the WDH issue...interesting.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I've towed 4,900 miles so far, most of it at 3,500lbs - 4,500lbs in the mountains around Phoenix, often in 100F weather or higher. Never had any issues, even at 65mph uphill.

My Ascent tows like a champ!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve towed an rp 179 (2550 lb dry) easily. I did find it necessary to load it biased forward to increase tongue weight so it was more stable. Plus wind conditions and cruise speed will both drastically affect mileage. I get between 10 and 14 mpg. I find 60 mph to be the sweet spot. Maybe too slow for some, but I am rarely in a hurry when traveling.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,154 Posts
Does it make a difference if you use OEM ball mount assembly or choose something else?
No difference. The OEM ball mount is high quality, but 1) it may not be the correct drop for your trailer (it's a 6" drop putting ball height about 18-19" off the ground) and 2) since it's no longer included with the hitch receiver kit, it's at the upper end of cost. A high quality adjustable height ball mount can be had for similar money.

Reactions: J_Ascent2020

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've towed the rPod 198 with full water many times with out 2019 Ascent and OEM hitch. No weight Distribution hitch as recommended although the rPod dealer told me not to do this! It pulls much nicer than our 4Runner with WDH! Going out camping again this weekend.... This is our second rPod (178) and love it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello!
Looking for thoughts on using a 2020 Ascent Limited to tow a 2020/21 RPod 193 travel trailer. I was told by the RPod dealer it wasn’t possible (even though the specs of the ascent - 5,000lb tow/500lb hitch says it is). According to this thread on the Micro Minnie 2100BH (very similar option), it seems very doable, Towing a 2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2100BH?

Here are the two specs (per dealer websites). I’d also love to hear any pros and cons to both. Looking for a quality travel trailer with bunks for our family.

RPOD 193 (r-pod RP-193 | Forest River RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes)

Hitch Weight: 435 lb.
UVW: 3654 lb.
CCC: 1181 lb.

Micro Winnie 2100bh (Micro Minnie)
Dry Weight: 3,860 lbs.
GVWR: 5,000 lbs.
Hitch Weight: 430 lbs.

Thanks!
I've put 6000 miles of towing on my 2020 in nine months. My camper weighs 3400 dry. 420 lbs toung weight. Travel light. Go to a store near campground. I'm more impressed everyone I pull my camper. 17dbk forest river.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts