Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning.

First of all, this forum is great. Thanks to everyone whom is participating.
On to my question.

Q: I am considering purchasing either a 16FB or 22FB Airstream 2021 Caravel Trailer.
However, I am unsure if my Subaru 202 Limited Ascent can handle the load.
If I were to buy a third party hitch capable of handling 750 tongue weight, would
my Ascent be able to tow either the 16FB or 22FB Airstream 2021 Caravel Trailer?

CAR SPECS
Subaru Ascent 2020 Limited
Hitch - Probably going to purchase the OEM hitch from Subaru (500 LB Tongue Weight limit)
However, some third party hitches have higher tongue ratings (750 Lb Tongue Weight limit)
THIRD PARTY HITCH DEALER: Trailer Hitches | Hitch Install | Trailer Hitches | Car Bike Racks
OCCUPANTS OF CAR: Myself, wife, son and dog along with hiking or beach gear, food.
Maybe a small generator as well.

AIRSTREAM SPECS
16fb Caravel Specs
Maximum Trailer Capacity (GVWR) (lbs.)4,300
Hitch Weight (with LP & Batteries)490
Unit Base Weight (with LP & Batteries)3,500

22FB Caravel Specs
Maximum Trailer Capacity (GVWR) (lbs.)5,000
Hitch Weight (with LP & Batteries)525
Unit Base Weight (with LP & Batteries)4,200

DLCARDINAL1

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
Hi! Welcome to the forums!!

A few things:
  • Nothing comes remotely close to the OEM hitch when it comes to being properly integrated into the car, or being crash tested (only the OEM meets those parameters, which I think are requirements in selecting a hitch).
  • Your max tongue weight is 500 pounds or less, no matter what hitch you use. Don't confuse marketing info that states "Class III" specs but forgets to tell you it's limited by the car's specs. It is ALWAYS the lower of the two figures.
  • You cannot use a weight distributing hitch - that includes one that deals with lateral weight shifts (sway systems).

Sorry to say, the current 22FB is too heavy with a hitch weight of 525 pounds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

A few things:
  • Nothing comes remotely close to the OEM hitch when it comes to being properly integrated into the car, or being crash tested (only the OEM meets those parameters, which I think are requirements in selecting a hitch).
  • Your max tongue weight is 500 pounds or less, no matter what hitch you use. Don't confuse marketing info that states "Class III" specs but forgets to tell you it's limited by the car's specs. It is ALWAYS the lower of the two figures.
  • You cannot use a weight distributing hitch - that includes one that deals with lateral weight shifts (sway systems).

A few things:
Thanks, Robert. I read a few of your posts and figured that the 22FB was too heavy to tow.
Do you think that the tongue weight of 490 is getting too close to the 500 tongue weight limit on the 16fb Airstream?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,165 Posts
Do you think that the tongue weight of 490 is getting too close to the 500 tongue weight limit on the 16fb Airstream?
When you push right up that close before even getting gear and other things loaded and balanced, you don't have much wiggle room there. If you can keep it at or below 500, it's within spec. I'd personally be a little itchy...but that's me.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
Ditto what @Jim_in_PA said. My recommendation, and the general recommendation pretty much anywhere, is if you're doing regular towing (not a one time move) to choose something that's at 85% of the tow vehicle's ratings, regardless of tow vehicle.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
Wow, Airstream's new weights for this year's models, make no sense. The 20FB and 19CB have higher tongue weights than the 22FB. Same GVWR of 5,000 pounds.

The 16RB Bambi (not Caravel) seems the only suitable Airstream nowadays.

Bambi Comparison Grid:

Caravel Comparison Grid:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.