Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 2019 model and yesterday I noticed the same issue others seem to be having with the transmission with chain slipping and squealing under the hood. I took it in to the dealership and they applied the recall fixes. However that did not seem to fix the slipping/squealing problem, so they are now replacing the CVT.

My question is: once the CVT is replaced, do I need to wait before towing? Is there some sort of breakin period? I know when we bought it new we needed to wait the first 1000 miles before towing, but not sure if this will still be the case with a new CVT. We have a small lightweight camper with an upcoming trip planned - not far just maybe 90 miles round trip. It'll break my kids hearts if we can't go, but also don't want to cause any damage to what seems to be an already problematic part of this vehicle. Tried to look online, but couldn't find anything related to breakin of a CVT.

Any advice would be helpful,

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I have the 2019 model and yesterday I noticed the same issue others seem to be having with the transmission with chain slipping and squealing under the hood. I took it in to the dealership and they applied the recall fixes. However that did not seem to fix the slipping/squealing problem, so they are now replacing the CVT.

My question is: once the CVT is replaced, do I need to wait before towing? Is there some sort of breakin period? I know when we bought it new we needed to wait the first 1000 miles before towing, but not sure if this will still be the case with a new CVT. We have a small lightweight camper with an upcoming trip planned - not far just maybe 90 miles round trip. It'll break my kids hearts if we can't go, but also don't want to cause any damage to what seems to be an already problematic part of this vehicle. Tried to look online, but couldn't find anything related to breakin of a CVT.

Any advice would be helpful,
If a breakin period is required by Subaru (I suspect it is), then I would suggest asking the dealership or SOA for a loaner that you can use to tow for your already planned trip. I suspect they would be amenable.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
You must wait 1,000 miles before towing, and follow all of the break in instructions. Sorry for the bad news. I too suggest asking for a loaner.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
On page 372 of your user manual, the language made it specific to single out the priority of component required for break-in is the engine. However, a good lawyer can make an argument that it can applies to all components of the vehicle. As I often suggested, the user manual was written (or approved) by lawyers.

With a very limited understanding of traditional auto or CVT trannys, I believe there's no break-in period. On a big picture, heat is the number one enemy of tranny. I bet no one here would suggest that a brand new transmission will generate more heat (per loading rate) before than after the break-in period.

Conceptually, engine and tranny functions differently; engine is like a 2-way (or more) street, and tranny is 1-way street. Conceptually, the tranny is much simpler that it receives the input from the engine and converts the power out to the wheels; hence, the analogy to a 1-way street. The only thing that's similar is both have rotational assembly and lubricant. Beyond that, the engine has many forces/energy working against it (e.g. water pressure, combustion pressure, forces from tranny, etc...). So it make sense that engine has biggest priority for synchronizing (i.e. break-in) all of the working variable of forces/energy.

I believe driving the car for several tens of miles, cycling the gears and get components up to temperatures, for several round trips (to work and home) would at least constitute a completion of break-in period.

Hopefully, it's precise enough....

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
On page 372 of your user manual, the language made it specific to single out the priority of component required for break-in is the engine. However, a good lawyer can make an argument that it can applies to all components of the vehicle. As I often suggested, the user manual was written (or approved) by lawyers.
In the towing section, it also specifies to not tow during break in. In service manuals, and in or implied in the owners manuals, it indicates that any such major work restarts the break in. That includes changing the brakes and rotors, and replacing any parts of the drivetrain.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
When I had my transmission replaced I never thought about a break in period for it. I always thought the break in periods were primarily to seat the piston rings properly. Good thing I dId not need to tow anything after my transmission was replaced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.