Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't bought an Ascent yet, but looking to. I would like to be able to tow my BRZ with it. From some research I see the trailer, the car, and any other tools and part will put me very close to the 5000 pound capacity. Does anyone have experience towing a car with the Ascent? Any recommendations on a trailer for a light car? Thanks!

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
Haven't bought an Ascent yet, but looking to. I would like to be able to tow my BRZ with it. From some research I see the trailer, the car, and any other tools and part will put me very close to the 5000 pound capacity. Does anyone have experience towing a car with the Ascent? Any recommendations on a trailer for a light car? Thanks!
@Kevin Williams tows a Mustang.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I have a Big Tex 60CH trailer. Nice sturdy yet lightweight (1500lbs). Ramp design/storage is awesome. Ramps are a bit short, so I crank up the tongue jack and put 2x6's under the ramps to make the angle shallower for loading a low clearance car.

My Mustang has been stripped, so weighs in at 3030lbs. So all total I'm pulling 4500lbs. I've had no problem at all towing it to/from the race track, including a long trip from Phoenix to Chuckwalla (near Joshua Tree). I'm also putting several hundred pounds of gear in the back, tools, chairs, easy-up, coolers, etc.

Before I bought my trailer I borrowed a friends trailer that was 1750 lbs. So for that weekend I was towing 4800lbs. Again, no problem at all.

I do try and stay around 60mph, but it tows so nice and smooth if I'm not careful I wind up at 65-70!

I've done about 1500 of my 17000 miles towing and the Ascent pulls like a champ!

Just make sure you pay attention to where the car sits on the trailer to get your tongue weight correct. It's easy to move the car back and forth to balance it properly. Straddle the trailer wheels so there isn't too much tongue weight.

When my the brakes on my girlfriend's Prius were acting up, I even towed her home.

Any questions, let me know.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts