Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m curious if you’ve purchased the 2100BH and, if so, what has been your experience with it so far? What sort of gas mileage do you get? I’ve bee looking at the 2108TBS. It’s right at the limit of what can be towed with the Ascent but with only two of us, I can make it work by, if needed, load cargo into the Ascent. I assume with the bunk house you have more then two traveling. Do you check your vehicle weight to see if it is under 6000 lbs. (People+cargo+tongue weight)

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
I’m curious if you’ve purchased the 2100BH and, if so, what has been your experience with it so far? What sort of gas mileage do you get? I’ve bee looking at the 2108TBS. It’s right at the limit of what can be towed with the Ascent but with only two of us, I can make it work by, if needed, load cargo into the Ascent. I assume with the bunk house you have more then two traveling. Do you check your vehicle weight to see if it is under 6000 lbs. (People+cargo+tongue weight)
Don't use the 6,000 lb number, but use the max cargo weight allowance shown on the label by the driver's door. For my 2019 Premium the max allowable cargo weight allowed, including the items you identified above plus any accessories you may have added, such as crossbars, cargo box, etc., is 1,158 lbs. The weight of two adults, plus cargo, accessories, and the tongue weight of your trailer eat that up pretty quick.

·
Registered
2020 Blue Ascent Premium
8 Posts
Looking forward to finding out what you think of the 2100BH. I really think that is what we need (2 kids and a dog), and with the bigger dinnette, we can all eat at the table if it’s miserable weather. However that 3800lb weight has me concerned. The 1700BH only is around 3200lbs, but the dinette is considerably smaller, and only has one axle. A friend says to get 2 axles, but I’ve also read that 1 is just fine (he said it for tire blowouts, better to have 4 than 2 tires)

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Looking forward to finding out what you think of the 2100BH. I really think that is what we need (2 kids and a dog), and with the bigger dinnette, we can all eat at the table if it’s miserable weather. However that 3800lb weight has me concerned. The 1700BH only is around 3200lbs, but the dinette is considerably smaller, and only has one axle. A friend says to get 2 axles, but I’ve also read that 1 is just fine (he said it for tire blowouts, better to have 4 than 2 tires)
I think a 3800 lb UVW is reasonable for the Ascent as long as the dry tongue weight was also acceptable. It's at the upper end, but it is reasonable. The Micro Minnie series, with the exception of the largest model, seems like it was designed specifically for the Ascent's towing weight class. It's so great that a series of high-quality dual-axle travel trailers are available for the Ascent from a notable manufacturer. The Micro Minnie series is currently on the top of my list after over a year of research into travel trailers. The only thing stopping me from buying one right now is, of course, the pandemic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You are correct. I should have said (people+cargo+tongue weight+car).
Don't use the 6,000 lb number, but use the max cargo weight allowance shown on the label by the driver's door. For my 2019 Premium the max allowable cargo weight allowed, including the items you identified above plus any accessories you may have added, such as crossbars, cargo box, etc., is 1,158 lbs. The weight of two adults, plus cargo, accessories, and the tongue weight of your trailer eat that up pretty quick.
Thanks for the correction. I was using gvwr - curb weight to estimate cargo weight limit which gave me a few extra hundreds of Pounds I really didn’t have.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think a 3800 lb GVW is reasonable for the Ascent as long as the dry tongue weight was also acceptable. It's at the upper end, but it is reasonable. The Micro Minnie series, with the exception of the largest model, seems like it was designed specifically for the Ascent's towing weight class. It's so great that a series of high-quality dual-axle travel trailers are available for the Ascent from a notable manufacturer. The Micro Minnie series is currently on the top of my list after over a year of research into travel trailers. The only thing stopping me from buying one right now is, of course, the pandemic.
I went through the same sort of process and ended up at the same place. Only difference is I’m waiting for the finances to recover from buying a 2020 Ascent.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
UPDATE 2019 Ascent Touring and 2021 Winnebago 2100BH
We love our new combo!!

Thanks to the knowledgeable folks in this forum, we were prepared in advance with a dealer installed OEM hitch, Tekonsha Brake Controller (installed locally) and Furrion Vision S (7" monitor with rear observation camera installed at JWRV). We pre-ordered our trailer from a Las Vegas dealer and took delivery there. Johnnie Walker RV gave us a several hour orientation to the new trailer and we got the drop hitch (but in our case it needed to be reversed), ball and hookups there. We stayed overnight in their campground, practiced on their property before venturing out into the neighborhood. Then we headed out of LV back to the SF Bay Area. Temps were about 116 much of the way through Nevada dropping slightly into CA. On the road without trailer, we get anywhere between 18-25mpg with open road distances being the high end. We were prepared for the return (thankfully) and got 6.8-10mpg towing. We attempted to weigh at a truck stop but too hot and no help. So we will weigh in at some point. For now, we are quite happy with our new trailer!

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,239 Posts
Congratulations!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
We are 2 adults and a 9 yo, plus 2 dogs. We picked it up in Las Vegas and got about 6.8-10mpg through the desert to Bakersfield, about 116 temps. I think we got up to about 15mpg when it cooled and we were flat and steady at about 55-60mph. We love it! We have not done a thorough weight check & tongue weight check yet but are confident we are in line with the recommendations.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
581 Posts
@kann your photos show the rear view camera mounted below the rear view mirror. Did Eyesight function well? Isn't this within the Eyesight reserved part of the windshield.

BTW, I've seen several micro Minnies on the road and they've all been bright yellow! Maybe that's a rental fleet?

·
Registered
284 Posts
The older Micro Minnies came in blue, red, yellow and sort of a tannish-white, and maybe some other colors, the newer ones don't come in the bold colors anymore.

This video shows the blue one.

Gotta be the teacher in me, but I love these sisters. For ME they are really neat people that I'd love to meet.

Ken

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
581 Posts
Based only on specs, the 2106FBS is the one I would consider because of the walk around bed, dry bath, 7' width, dual axle and hitch weight. I'd like to know where the tanks are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all, learning so much. Just bought the 2106FBS and am picking it up next week. Who has tips and tricks they want to share regarding the brake controller options (wired v wireless Tekonsha options in consideration); backup camera options v GOAL; and anything else a first-time trailer owner should know.

Thanks all!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,830 Posts
Who has tips and tricks they want to share regarding the brake controller options (wired v wireless Tekonsha options in consideration); backup camera options v GOAL; and anything else a first-time trailer owner should know.
Take a look through this Towing forum discussion area...multiple threads on those topics for you to explore.

Reactions: GingerPop

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Hi all, learning so much. Just bought the 2106FBS and am picking it up next week. Who has tips and tricks they want to share regarding the brake controller options (wired v wireless Tekonsha options in consideration); backup camera options v GOAL; and anything else a first-time trailer owner should know.

Thanks all!
This forum has a lot of excellent info concerning brake controllers. Have a look here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Take a look through this Towing forum discussion area...multiple threads on those topics for you to explore.
thanks all! yes, I've looked through the forum and have gotten wonderful info, including validation on the WDH restriction, good tips on the Tekonsha brake controller, and more.

if anyone has real-life practical experiences they want to share, looking for even more tips/tricks. An example, have you ever had to engage the brake controller in an emergency sway? How'd it go?

Even beyond some of the tech issues, simple advice appreciated for first time trailer-owner would be appreciated (BTW, this is my 5th or 6th Subaru, tho the first one I've owned; others were company cars). One question I've been pondering is what are folks doing to protect the Subaru exterior from the rigors of trailer life, like gravel roads or parking under trees (sap, yay!) while camping for a week.

Sage elders of the Ascent Forum, what say thee?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Based only on specs, the 2106FBS is the one I would consider because of the walk around bed, dry bath, 7' width, dual axle and hitch weight. I'd like to know where the tanks are.
See below. I just bought the 2106FBS. Pick it up next week. Will report more here when I've got some news to share.

Reactions: pro10is
21 - 40 of 63 Posts